Selling car that is uninspected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be selling my 91 honda civic. The inspection on my vehicle runs out at the end of the month. It runs fine provided you keep topping off with oil and refilling radiator.

Could i let a potential buyer test my car without it being inspected? Could i get temporary tags?

Background: I live in Pennsylvania. My car has too much rust and other problems for me to wanna fix it myself. But as people in Philly have ALWAYS asked me if i would sell my civic i imagine i could get more than junkyard price.

I plan on being completely honest with the rust and other problems. Not looking to rip anyone off. But then i'm not looking to junk a car that some kid would gladly want to fix up either.

Thanks again for all the help. Great forum.

You could but you'd get more for it if you could get it to pass. I would take it in and get a list printout of needs from the mechanic; it will carry more weight that you, joe schmoe, standing there saying it just needs a tire or whatever.

Just be sure to put "as is" on the bill of sale, and fill out the buyer section of the title completely. (and, if you want, mention it's as is in the ad.)

Even consumer friendly liberal states like massachusetts will let an individual sell an old enough car as is. (In mass they can come get you if it's new, eg under 120k miles.)

In PA you can't legally drive a vehicle with an expired inspection. I think there is an exception for Dealer/Bodyshop and a few other special plates.

in PA they will ticket a parked car for having expired/missing inspection tags. when you bring it to get inspected, the first thing they do is remove the old stickers, so if you fail, you HAVE to get it fixed.
you can sell it uninspected; the burden is on the buyer to get it inspected within 30 days IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back