Keurig coffee maker/K-Cup problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Keurig coffee maker,and I use one of those K-Cup adapters so I can use my own groud coffee. Lately it`s been making an incomplete cup of coffee. BUT,when I take out the K-Cup filter and just "brew" a cup of hot water (without the K-Cup filter in place),it fills the coffee cup completely. Do I just need to somehow clean the K-Cup filter really well? What`s the best way to do that?

Keurig has pretty good customer service - you might want to give them a call and explain what is going on. Afaik, there isn't anything special about cleaning the my k cup adapter. Keurig may ask you if you have de-calcified the machine recently. One thing to consider if you can't get the k cup to work for you is that there is an alternative (aftermarket) k cup they sell at bed bath and beyond. It works in a slightly different fashion than the k cup and many think it is easier to clean.
Good kuck! Eric

Originally Posted By: Boogerhead
alternative (aftermarket) k cup

That`s what I have. the K-Cup filter adapter that allows you to use your own ground coffee. I`m thinking the reusable filter may be clogged somehow,not allowing proper flow,thus not filling my coffee cup all the way.

It could also be the type of grind you are using. Coarse grinds like Maxwell House or Folgers worked fine with the reuseable cup. Other grinds may be too fine and plug the filter screen.

Mine has the same problem. Wifey told me I was putting too much coffee in the basket and not to grind the coffee so fine and what the other guys said.

My Keurig is 2 months old, I also use the adapter to use my own grinds. I use filtered water and every so often it brews a 'smaller' large cup also.

Originally Posted By: citationxeleven
plug the filter screen.

What`s the best way to clean the filter screen without harming it?

the grounds would absorb some of the water, no? So if you use a filter or k-cup, you are going to get less water out than what you put in. That applies to regular coffee makers as well, of course.

Just spend $25 on a regular coffee maker and put a scoop or two of ground coffee in the paper filter and no problems. I never liked the concentration of coffee made by the Keurigs at all. I don't need someone else to tell me how much grinds or what coarseness vs how much water I need to use.

Worst Yuppie gadget ever invented in my opinion. Its only good as a high priced hot chocolate maker.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Just spend $25 on a regular coffee maker and put a scoop or two of ground coffee in the paper filter and no problems. I never liked the concentration of coffee made by the Keurigs at all. I don't need someone else to tell me how much grinds or what coarseness vs how much water I need to use.

Worst Yuppie gadget ever invented in my opinion. Its only good as a high priced hot chocolate maker.

Uh wow. I never drank coffee before. The keurig makes it easy, I personally like the convenience of being able to make a single cup of coffee in 2 minutes, with no mess to clean up. I'll drink dunkin doughnuts and mcdonalds coffee, but I much prefer the taste of keurig brewed butter toffee k-cups.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
I'll drink dunkin doughnuts and mcdonalds coffee, but I much prefer the taste of keurig brewed butter toffee k-cups.

It doesn't take much to beat the taste of DD and McD coffee.
smile.gif

Well I've pretty much been living off of DD and McD coffee over the last 24 hours, I think I've had 7 large coffees since I woke up yesterday morning.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Nick R
I'll drink dunkin doughnuts and mcdonalds coffee, but I much prefer the taste of keurig brewed butter toffee k-cups.

It doesn't take much to beat the taste of DD and McD coffee.
smile.gif

Lol.

Coffee is coffee to me...

As someone who ditched the paper filter coffer maker and go microwave and strainer, I have to say it matters how much grind you put in and what coarseness is your grind, no matter what you make your coffee with.

Paper absorb a lot of flavors from the coffee and the only good thing about it is the ease of cleaning (and supposedly absorb some of the stuff in coffee that could be bad for your heart). You do not need to spend hippie money on a fancy coffee maker, but just because you can't tell the difference doesn't means there is no difference.

One thing I found on an espresso maker's box said you should fill the filter with coffee, but do not press it down to pack it. The reason is as the coffee expand, if you pack it too tight, it will expand and cork the filter instead of letting water pass through.

Last edited:
Here is our espresso maker:
6059419328a00318160cd110.L.jpg

Nothing fancy, used throughout Italy in almost every household. The directions specify not to pack the coffee.

Around $25

I have to say I agree with this!

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

One thing I found on an espresso maker's box said you should fill the filter with coffee, but do not press it down to pack it. The reason is as the coffee expand, if you pack it too tight, it will expand and cork the filter instead of letting water pass through.

Most espresso machines, especially the pump machines, come with a tamper to tamp the coffee down. If you don't tamp down the coffee you may not get the "crema".

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/00/tamping/

At work, there are several Keurigs and several types of coffe. I think they are perfect for an office. I have a goood ole Mr Coffee II at home. Chain coffee is consistently blah. For convenience sake , I drink black coffee. Not picky. but I like to add a 1/2 measure of vanilla. I leave the house with 1 quart and a half of coffee. I buy very little coffee during the day. And the coffee at Cumberland Farms is pretty good for a buck. As long as it doesnt eat a hole in the carafe or burn me. I will drink it cold and 2 days old. Oh but I dont do instant or de-caff

Black and Decker makes a great coffee maker for $20.
I don't get the Keurig shtick either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back