No more supertech at Walmart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
KMART also sells Purolator. A good filter, amde in USA. install one, and no doubts it is well constructed and will hold up to the rigors of driving, all weather and conditions!! Wix also a good product

My local store had shelf tags for all of the Purolators. All of the STs had disappeared. Couldn't even find them anywhere on clearance. Purolators were still not on the shelf yet.

I hope that Purolator doesn't compromise quality in order to meet manufacturing demands. Walmart stores mean lots of extra filters to be made, at lower prices than what the parts stores offer. Why? Because that's what Walmart does.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
As of last week Wally World did not have any Purolaters on it's shelves here in northwestern NJ. But I did notice that their selection of ST oil filters has dwindled to almost nothing. I really hope they keep the Motorcraft filters. Maybe I should buy a few FL-820S just in case they drop the Motorcraft oil filters.

Whimsey

I'd suggest getting the Motorcrafts at Wally World before they disappear. My local Walmart removed the Motorcrafts and STs when the Classics showed up.

AZ has the FL820s for $3.69

My Wally still looks like this:
fe6c83c7.jpg

ecda97e7.jpg

No Purolators yet,but no Super Techs to be found.

I've used one ST. It was an Ecore. Fiber end caps and the ADBV was a bit stiff and thin. ADBV / bypass combo valve didn't fit tightly against the cage. Nor did the leaf spring at the bottom. Like they designed it so oil can always seep by the filter media. Needless to say I didn't like it. I pay a dollar more to get the oversized Motorcraft and all these problems go away.

WM should get rid of all the Fram and replace them with Purolators. And get WIX but only for popular sizes.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, there are people out there that actully like FRAM because they don't know any better and recognise the brand. I saw a guy at Walmart that wanted a FRAM and refused to buy Bosch a few days ago. I'll bet that even with Purolator on the shelves more people that aren't concerned about the price difference will still buy FRAM. To a lot of people FRAM is ironically a "premium" brand.

I have no beef with Fram or people that support it and use it. I just want to see more filters that I want to use at Walmart.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: zeezee
Believe it or not, there are people out there that actully like FRAM because they don't know any better and recognise the brand. I saw a guy at Walmart that wanted a FRAM and refused to buy Bosch a few days ago. I'll bet that even with Purolator on the shelves more people that aren't concerned about the price difference will still buy FRAM. To a lot of people FRAM is ironically a "premium" brand.

I have to confess that years ago I thought that the OCD Fram was better than Motorcraft. It goes to show you the power of advertising! I finally learned, long before BITOG, that the Fram oil filter was the cause of my daily dry noisey starts. Changed back to Motorcraft and the starts were once again quiet. That was even using the nitrile ADBV Motorcraft FL1A. The OCD's just don't to seem to hold the oil in the filter. This is very evident with horizontally mounted filters.
Whimsey

Yeah that would stink if the Purolators don't sell and Walmart drops them and it becomes all orange can of doom.

Hopefully the Purolators sell well and I think they will sell at the price they are at, but not sell so well that they become as expensive as OCOD
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

I have to confess that years ago I thought that the OCD Fram was better than Motorcraft. It goes to show you the power of advertising! I finally learned, long before BITOG, that the Fram oil filter was the cause of my daily dry noisey starts. Changed back to Motorcraft and the starts were once again quiet. That was even using the nitrile ADBV Motorcraft FL1A. The OCD's just don't to seem to hold the oil in the filter. This is very evident with horizontally mounted filters.
Whimsey

I used them in my Ecotecs back when they were made in the USA. I stopped when I started seeing them imported. They were a decent filter at one time but quality has plummeted over the past decade.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
3.27 here in Northern VA also. Sweet.

As of yesterday, no Classics at local Wally and no knowledge by employees of them being stocked in the future. The latter point means nothing though.

$3.27 is a very competitive price.
It's possible they just haven't finished stocking yet.

Can confirm here on the east coast, our SuperTechs are gone too....curious where the [censored] all those unused filters will go....I asked one of the associates, he told me a store about 45 minutes away had "4" of a ST3614 I was looking for....but really, not worth the drive all the way there, just for a 2 dollar, and some change filter, specially with gas prices at ~2.70-ish and climbing (no, not another gas price rant....lol...)

But....kind of curious, perhaps they will just "relocate" the filters around to other Walmart stores that SOLD them "well" - in order to deplete their inventory. I know my particular walmart did NOT sell the STs too well, they were always "full" - I was likely the only one buying them, or so it seemed :p

But yea, I agree with what's been said about the "FRAM" name....it's likely all down to marketing....most people, they think of filters, and they think FRAM, orange, etc....

I gotta say though, that Bosch Distance Plus, for my Aries, think it's the 3321 or something, can't remember off hand, that thing is a BEAST haha. Noticeable difference in the "weight" compared to a PH3614
smile.gif
Must have lots of filter media within...

my walmart had a cardboard display with all PYB, PP, and PHM on it advertising Fram TG with the later two oils, and a purolator classic with the PYB ($3.47 for the Purolator) but I did not see any Purolator filters on the shelves yet.

I saw a guy at Walmart that wanted a FRAM and refused to buy Bosch a few days ago.

That one is easy to explain. The average non-BITOG person isn't interested in buying a $10 filter when they can pick up a 'decent' filter for $3-$4.

I would bet that those ST old stock will be used as jobber filters in the Wal Mart auto shops.

A company like China Mart would never "give" those away.

Someone else hit the nail on the head.

Wal Mart is clever enough to price certain items very cheap because it gets the customers into the stores then more often than not most of the other items are either about the same price or slight more than any competitor.

I do go to Wally World, but I cherry pick the heck out of those stores, the only stuff I buy there is the price leader items, so they ain't working me over. lol

Last edited:
I wouldn't be totally shocked if, say in a few months, the ST filters reappear on WM shelves. BUT, instead of being a Champ Lab e-core, they are now made by Purolator. If Walmart kept the price point the same as the old ST filter, imagine getting a Purolator at around $2.50 everyday price.

Now that would be a good deal.

This is just me speculating...I don't have any information to base this on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back