Shell FuelSave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since Shell launched FuelSave in 2009/2010 I have been wondering if it really works as advertised. Shell advertises it like this with the exception of metric and US measurements which I added so everybody would understand no matter what system they use:

Shell FuelSave Unleaded saves you up to 0.26 gallons/1 liter per tank at no extra cost *

* Based on a minimum tank size and fill up of 13.2 gallons/50 liters. Comparison between a standard gasoline and that same standard gasoline containing our instantaneous fuel economy formula. Actual savings may vary according to vehicle, driving conditions and driving style. Available at selected Shell stations.

Considering that the FuelSave is usually one of the cheapest if not the cheapest fuel available, why would anyone chose anything else if it truly works?

I can imagine that since the FuelSave is only available in the lowest octane grade possible, 91 AKI/95 RON, cars that require more would have to use one of the premium 94 AKI/99 RON fuel brands such as V-Power or if someone does not want the 5% ethanol that is in FuelSave they would go for some ethanol free fuel such as again V-Power. Yet besides those 2 reasons I can not understand why not everybody is running FuelSave.

Is the FuelSave just clever marketing because I can not understand why everybody wouldn't be using FuelSave if that was not the case and why Shell, a fuel company, would want their customers to buy less fuel by saving, not to mention undermining their premium brand V-Power by giving little reason to chose it instead of FuelSave. What is the general opinion about it here?

I have a hard time beleieving you can get a measurable amount of fuel savings by using a different brand of gas. Im sure they all have to produce a fuel that meets a list of specs like the oil we buy. say an 87 octane gas has to have 86.5-87.5 octane and only 4-5% ethanol if you used gas that was on the lower side of those numbers you should get better fuel mileage than using fuel with the higher numbers. low octane = hotter quicker burn, less ethanol = more fuel economy. I think saving 1 litre per 50 is unmeasurable with a couple variables thrown in. Its like chevron it has techron in the fuel to keep your fuel system clean. So if i dont but fuel there my stuff will gum up? nope not at all Unless I shop at joes gas station which is in his living room I should be ok with any well known gas station. I guess if you cant disprove something it still doesnt mean its true. Marketing gimmick for sure. I bet they were not selling enough of it so they had to figure something out.

Never heard of it. Is it locally marketed? Im in NH. I guess Im still on the Nitrogen enriched detergent kick. Funny though I just switched form the new Mobil which liked my honda engine until I got a tank of misform fuel. I am on my second tank of Shell reg and my LTA FE over 5 tanks on the DIC is up 1/2 a point. from 33.5 > 34.0 MPG.

About the only way I can see fuel type affecting milage is in a car with a high compression engine and knock sensors. Using HIGHER octane will allow greater ignition advance and a bit better milage. Whether it pays for itself in reduced usage of more expensive gas is questionable. Shell, in these parts, is always about a dime higher than the other guys although you can get a discount on Shell gas if you shop at Stop and Shop supermarkets and use their "card".

Shell FuelSave is not sold in US. It has been challenged in court and they were ordered to change their ads by the ASA.

"...we considered that data relating to just four models of car for each fuel did not constitute adequate substantiation that 10% of all motorists could achieve one litre of fuel savings in every 50 litre fill-up. We concluded that the ads were misleading."

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/10/Shell-UK-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_154707.aspx

SHELL MSDS... contains gas and butyl ether MTBE which is no longer allowed in US:

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00105595.PDF

Example of MSDS of a CARB compliant gas:

http://www.valero.com/V_MSDS/002 - UNLEADED GASOLINE.pdf

1999 Olds GLS

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: carwreck
Shell FuelSave is not sold in US. It has been challenged in court and they were ordered to change their ads by the ASA.

"...we considered that data relating to just four models of car for each fuel did not constitute adequate substantiation that 10% of all motorists could achieve one litre of fuel savings in every 50 litre fill-up. We concluded that the ads were misleading."

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/10/Shell-UK-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_154707.aspx

SHELL MSDS... contains gas and butyl ether MTBE which is no longer allowed in US:

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GSAP_msds_00105595.PDF

Example of MSDS of a CARB compliant gas:

http://www.valero.com/V_MSDS/002 - UNLEADED GASOLINE.pdf

Very interesting information, based on the information in the ASA link where they did scientific testing of FuelSave there were vehicles that had a 2% improvement (as the ad stated), but not all vehicles experienced this which meant that very few people would actually use less fuel with FuelSave then with other fuel.

Still it isn't just clever marketing as some vehicles did use less fuel because of the friction modifiers and cleaners in the FuelSave. Does any other company use friction modifiers and cleaners to help some vehicles use less fuel or is FuelSave the only one?

Because right now since FuelSave is one of the cheapest fuels available I would assume it wouldn't hurt to use it instead of any other gas if you are trying to hypermile as any little decrease in fuel consumption helps and the possibility that your car is one of the few that use less fuel with FuelSave makes it worth looking past the bad reputation Shell has and using it. Does this make any sense or am I blinded my clever marketing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back