PQIA tests five more oils - one gets an Advisory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really neat to see, Tom, thanks. The Toyota oil looks like solid, XOM- made oil.

However, again, I have to take slight issue with conclusion on non-spec oils - for the first oil, you say the following:

"The label on this product fails to give adequate warning to consumers about its limited use."

What, the bold, capitalized statement on the back 'NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN NEW VEHICLES' isn't good enough?

:p

Thank you Tom for your post and updates.

Maybe City Star has changed it's name to Gold Star. I bet they have to find some way of unloading all of that oil. I hope City Star, Gold Star, Bulls eye and the rest of the out of spec oils, don't happen to find their way into the bulk oil supply at some distributors warehouse.

I wonder if Mobil makes the Toyota Conventional oil?

Looks very similar to the Mobil Super Conventional with the fortified sodium add pack, no MOLY and no Boron.

I never knew that Toyota Sold their own brand of conventional oil?

So if you get an oil change at Toyota....you might be getting some Toyota Conventional....instead of Toyota Full Synthetic?

Not a bad deal for some good oil as long as your not charged for the Toyota Synthetic. Who knows....if it happens?

Maybe the Moly loaded Full Synthetic Toyota Oils will just happen to "magically" find it's way to Craigslist.....via the installer....selling it on the side. I hope not....

Thanks for the heads up, though I usually vist a couple times a week. I wish PQIA would test some 20 multigrades though imagine they would be less trouble prone as this segment not be supported by the "questionable" secondary and Tertiary mfg/suppliers.

- PS. that Carolina Petroleum 10w40 looks good enough to run in anything. Impresssive. Wonder what else they make ... Im off on a cyber hunt ... ... ... .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
However, again, I have to take slight issue with conclusion on non-spec oils - for the first oil, you say the following:

"The label on this product fails to give adequate warning to consumers about its limited use."

What, the bold, capitalized statement on the back 'NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN NEW VEHICLES' isn't good enough?

:p

No that is not an adequate warning. What is a "NEW" vehicle - 2009? 2005? 1999? 1995? Fact is the SC/CC specification is not recommended for vehicles built after 1967! If a label does not make that clear they are IMO deceiving the consumer. Likewise, statements like "Intended for use in cars requiring SC/CC" or "Always consult your owner's manual for the correct service category" are not adequate for such old and obsolete specifications, especially where their use in modern vehicles may cause harm.

Tom NJ

Disclaimer: While I sit on the PQIA Advisory Board, I am not a PQIA employee, receive no compensation from PQIA, and my posts here are my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the positions of PQIA.

Hey Arco,

It looks like that Carolina Oil is made by the other Warren....Warren Unilube out of North Carolina. Not the Warren Performance Products out of Nebraska. The link to the bottle shows it was purchased from Warren in Dunn, NC. They make the store brands for the likes of AZ, Advance Auto.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Janaury 2012 test results/carolinapetro.htm

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Thanks for the heads up, though I usually vist a couple times a week. I wish PQIA would test some 20 multigrades though imagine they would be less trouble prone as this segment not be supported by the "questionable" secondary and Tertiary mfg/suppliers.

- PS. that Carolina Petroleum 10w40 looks good enough to run in anything. Impresssive. Wonder what else they make ... Im off on a cyber hunt ... ... ... .

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The sad thing is the consumer who is likely to buy this dollar store/c-store junk is unlikely to realize it's worthlessness!

Unfortunately, some of it actually isn't "dollar store junk" in the sense that it comes from generally reputable sources. For instance, Walmart has Accel from WPP that is absolutely unsuitable in any cars (I wouldn't even use this in a Model T).

Frankly, I think it has no place on the shelves of a regular store. If it's intended for some very specific application (like an air compressor) then it should not be "motor oil" next to automotive oils.

WPP also makes proper API SN certified oils under the "Accel" brand, right on the shelf next to this stuff.

I snapped these shots at Walmart this weekend, but this oil has been mentioned on BITOG before. My recollection is that it's at least $3 per Qt.

eochy.jpg

546b8g.jpg

The bottle and add pack of the toyota 5w-30 is identical to that of Mobil Super. I agree with Mongo. This toyota oil = mobil super.

Id like them to test TRAC oil, the Racetrac brand in store oil made by Warren, Working there I know alot of cars, including taxis, that use our 10w30 and 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back