Oil for 1967 Corvette 427

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm taking care of my late father's '67 Corvette. It has the 390 hp 427 big block. It was fully rebuilt about 8 years ago to basically stock specs. It was broken in on Valvoline VR1 20w-50 and has been running Mobil 1 15w-50 since then. The car mostly just sits in the garage now; it gets started and driven for an hour or two about 3 times a year. I change the oil in it every other year.

WalMart apparently stopped selling 15w-50 since I last changed the oil in this car. The only other place to get it is at Napa for over $8/qt. I don't know if it's even necessary to use such a heavy oil, I'm just doing the same thing my dad did. This oil recommendation came from either the previous owner of the car or the engine builder, I'm not sure which. The car's owner's manual gives no recommendation on viscosity at all.

I'm not sure if I should just stick with what works and pay extra for the Mobil 1, or try to find a cheaper and potentially BETTER (<--- not just being cheap) alternative. This will hopefully be the last oil change I do to this car as it is going up for sale this year.

Usually on something like this you go with the engine builder's recommendation.

Both the oils you mentioned are great. I would dial down to a 40 weight and do a couple of analysis checks to verify that it works well. Typically you want the lightest weight oil without excessive consumption. M1 0w-40 is a great choice.

But if you really love the car and it sits a bit like most specialty autos I'd only use Amsoil Z-Rod.

40-weights were probably spec'ed for BBC's back in the day. Since yours has had a rebuild back to stock specs, there is no need for a 50. But it does need an oil with high zddp. Vavoline VR1 conventional is available in 10w30 and 20w50 at your local NAPA. Do a 50/50 blend of these two and you will end up with a 40-weight that might have cold flow specs of 15w. This would be a cheap alternative to M1 15w50, and would be appropriate for occasional runs in warm weather and an annual oil change.

I can't comprehend how you can resist the temptation to drive a 427 'vette every chance you get....

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

But if you really love the car and it sits a bit like most specialty autos I'd only use Amsoil Z-Rod.

LOL, I definitely don't love the car. Like I said, it's going up for sale this year and I can't wait to get it out of the garage! Doing an analysis would be pointless, as this is probably (hopefully) the last oil change I ever do on this car.
Oh yeah, and I have basically the same problem with Mobil 1 0w-40-- only available at Napa at over $8/qt.

I sold my '69 Corvette small block show car I had for 17 years a couple of years ago and used Amsoil 20w50 in my rebuilt engine.
Go with Amsoil Z-ROD synthetic 20w50.It's engineered for classic and high-performance vehicles.

You have a fancy, really cool car. Spend the few bucks to maintain it, or else just sell it sooner.

Z rod would be my choice, otherwise an HDEO, maybe a 5w-40, with something like the redline ZDDP additive.

Wow, this guy doesn't like a 67 Corvette?? I will GLADLY take that off your hands, lol.

I've never been a Corvette guy (or even a Chevy guy for that matter) and I prefer newer vehicles. Plus, this car is "too nice" to even really drive. I'd prefer to drive something I can beat on without being in constant fear of scratching it or getting a rock chip. Anyone with $110k burning a hole in their pocket is more than welcome to take it off my hands.
smile.gif

Wow, someone who doesn't want to drive a 1967 Big-Block Vette....I'd be able to live with the risk of nicks, and I'd be out with that thing every chance I could!

As for oil, do you have access to Brad-Pen PennGrade-1? That in 10W-40 would work well. If not, I agree that Amsoil Z-Rod is perfect for this engine..that's what these two oils are made for.

My father had a 67 Corvette with the very same engine. It's now in our collection. Because it is not driven often, we use Amsoils ZRod 10W30 in it for it's very high ZDDP ( 1440 ) and the fact that it also provides excellent corrosion protection.
The oil is specifically designed for classic/collector cars which see little or very infrequent use.

A 20W50 oil is not at all necessary for use in this engine given the fact that it is not raced or subjected to hard use.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I've never been a Corvette guy (or even a Chevy guy for that matter) and I prefer newer vehicles. Plus, this car is "too nice" to even really drive. I'd prefer to drive something I can beat on without being in constant fear of scratching it or getting a rock chip. Anyone with $110k burning a hole in their pocket is more than welcome to take it off my hands.
smile.gif

I hated driving my restored '69 Corvette for the same fears.
Just drove to shows and cruise nights.
After 17 years,I had enough of the shows,cruise nights and the OCD.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt
smile.gif

grin.gif

Sadly, I have this OCD about my daily drivers now.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Originally Posted By: Colt
smile.gif

grin.gif

Sadly, I have this OCD about my daily drivers now.
frown.gif

You're not alone....
smile.gif

Since youre not Crazy obout this car, why not just use Valvoline VR1 20w-50 or NAPA 20w-50? I would use a conventional oil in this car, something like Castrol GTX 10w-40 in cool weather, 20w-50 in summer time, or Valvoline 10w-40 and 20w-50.

"driven for an hour or two about 3 times a year" and "going up for sale this year". M1 HM with 1100 PPM zinc compared to 900 in other M1s and other brands. 5w-30 or 10w-XX your choice.

Nobody has said Rotella T6 5W-40 yet... Easy to get at walmart in the gallon jugs!

By the way, that's an amazing car. Coupe or convertible? PLEASE post pics if you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back