M1 EP 5W30 7538 Miles - 2011 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHP

So here's the result of my last oil change. I have used the OEM blue Subaru oil filter and Mobil 1 EP 5W30 SN. This oil have seen some pretty extreme service ranging from >110F desert and
As mentioned in the comments, sample dated 10/23/11 is a sample taken at the halfway point so that we can get a rough trend on how the oil performed. What do you guys think of the results?

Quote:

Comments:
This oil wasn't changed out at the last sample, and it held up quite nicely with 7,500+ miles on it. Your
WRX's engine put much less wear in the oil (per mile) during the second half of the oil change interval. The TBN came
back at 3.6, showing plenty of active additive remaining to go even longer. The TAN was 5.0, showing that the oil had
become a little acidic though, so it may be a good idea to stick with about 7,500 miles in the future. The slightly low
viscosity isn't cause for concern. This engine is in good shape and this oil is working well for you.

Code:

Miles on Oil ---------- 7,538 -------- 3,813 -------- 3,744 ----- 2,718 Universal

Miles on Unit 15,040 11,315 7,502 3,758 Averages

Sample Date 02/04/12 10/23/11 07/23/11 03/12/11

Make Up Oil added ---- 0.75Qt ---------- 0Qt ---------- 0Qt ------- 0Qt

Aluminum ------------------ 5 ------------ 4 ------------ 4 --------- 5 ----------- 4

Chromium 1 1 1 0 1

Iron 16 10 17 13 9

Copper -------------------- 8 ------------ 8 ------------ 8 --------- 7 ----------- 8

Lead 0 0 0 0 4

Tin 0 0 0 5 1

Molybdenum --------------- 64 ----------- 78 ---------- 109 ------- 247 ---------- 74

Nickel 1 1 0 0 0

Manganese 0 0 0 1 1

Silver -------------------- 0 ------------ 0 ------------ 0 --------- 0 ----------- 0

Titanium 2 3 3 0 0

Potassium 5 1 2 0 2

Boron -------------------- 34 ----------- 51 ----------- 62 -------- 21 ---------- 48

Silicon 8 8 10 18 11

Sodium 31 37 38 2 27

Calcium ---------------- 1155 --------- 1163 --------- 2678 ------ 2186 -------- 2083

Magnesium 639 608 19 11 305

Phosphorus 660 667 789 706 783

Zinc -------------------- 786 ---------- 774 ---------- 936 ------- 741 --------- 932

Barium 0 0 0 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F --- 55.2 --------- 56.6 --------- 56.4 ------ 53.9

cSt Viscosity @ 100C 8.83 9.23 9.19 8.46

Flashpoint in F 405 395 385 400

Fuel % -----------------
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0 ? 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % ------------ 0.3 ---------- 0.4 ---------- 0.2 ------- 0.2

TBN 3.6

TAN 5.0

ISO Code M1EP 5W30SN M1EP 5W30SN M1EP 5W30SM MbilCln 5000 5w30SM

Last edited:
These are great results for such a high performing vehicle.

Furthermore, while you have greatly controlled break-in wear with all these oil changes, there is no doubt still some little extra break in bits floating around.

Therefore, I would only expect to see it get a tiny bit better in the future. Not that you need it to. Great results.

Looks like an awesome car with a great oil! Fun to compare the SN & SM oil and the Mobil Clean too!

Last edited:
Looks good.

Anyone notice that the dino oil did as well on a per-mile basis as the ultra expensive syn in the shorter OCIs? Granted, there is only one sample on the Clean5000, but that is also the first of the break in oils, and yet the break in wear is tremendously low.

What these are telling you is that:
1) your engine is wearing well
2) you need to continue to extend your OCIs with EP

I'd say try 10k miles, with TBN again, and see how things fare.

The engine, itself, is in excellent shape.

Last edited:
^You didn't see this part?

The TAN was 5.0, showing that the oil had
become a little acidic though, so it may be a good idea to stick with about 7,500 miles in the future.

I say it's a gutsy move to run M1 in a boxer engine

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm planing on sticking with 7500 mile OCI's until my warranty runs out at least. The oil did shear quite a bit, but what oil doesn't shear now days that is not HDEO?

My current fill now is PU 5W30 SN and again with OEM oil filter. I've seen that PU keeps viscosity a little better than M1. From what I've seen PU also protects just as good if not better than M1. As an additional plus its slightly cheaper than M1 EP.

The trends look pretty promising yet I probably shouldn't count my chickens yet until the next UOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KHP
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm planing on sticking with 7500 mile OCI's until my warranty runs out at least. The oil did shear quite a bit, but what oil doesn't shear now days that is not HDEO?

My current fill now is PU 5W30 SN and again with OEM oil filter. I've seen that PU keeps viscosity a little better than M1. From what I've seen PU also protects just as good if not better than M1. As an additional plus its slightly cheaper than M1 EP.

The trends look pretty promising yet I probably shouldn't count my chickens yet until the next UOA.

I think the 7,500 intervals are smart.

I'm sure you could always try regular Mobil 1 5w30 in the future too, if it was any cheaper than the EP. With these on-time, oil changes, I don't see why the regular Mobil 1 5w30 wouldn't do great too!

With the PU, I'm sure you will likely see even slightly better results on the next check because you will have gotten the majority of break in bits out in this last draining, so it won't be the PU alone (or at all) making it look better.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
With the PU, I'm sure you will likely see even slightly better results on the next check because you will have gotten the majority of break in bits out in this last draining, so it won't be the PU alone (or at all) making it look better.

M1 will get a good amount credit to how well the engine is doing right now. I really have no preference in oil so I'll probably end up switching between M1 and PU for my oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton

M1 will get a good amount credit to how well the engine is doing right now. I really have no preference in oil so I'll probably end up switching between M1 and PU for my oil changes.

Good to hear. Nothing wrong with that, two of the very best right there!

A 7,500 mile uoa in a WRX on Resource Conserving oil is rare. When first looking at this, I expected the viscosity would be under 8 cst's so it's not that bad IMO. Although I'm very curious, I wouldn't run a 7,500 OCI on an RC oil, even with no wear, but that's just me. You're covered under the warranty though!

Thanks for posting!

-Dennis

PU doesn't do all that well in Subies in my experience... Produces too much blow-by (at least in my 07wrx and STi)

Rotella T6 has always been the go-to for all my Subies.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874
PU doesn't do all that well in Subies in my experience... Produces too much blow-by (at least in my 07wrx and STi)

How do you determine how much blow-by there is?

Thanks Dennis. My VW 1.8T gets a puddle of oil in the intercooler too which sucks. I would think the amount of oil in there in a given engine and given everything else except varying oil type would depend mostly on amount of blowby, which increases crankcase pressure, and the oil's volatility.

Really nice looking report-especially under the conditions you mentioned. I bet you will see even lower Fe levels on a PU UOA if you choose to do one

I'd try 5-40 if you can. Turbo/Charged cars are tough on oil.

I do 3500K on my subies (Rotella T6) and 3K on my Speed (PU 5-30).

You could always invest in a OCC or AOS if you were so inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back