Towing a car with Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me get something clear first, this is not something we are planning on doing. This is purely to satisfy my curiosity, only.

Our equinox is rated to tow 3,500lb with the 3.0L V6 and AWD. What I'm curious about, is that my cruze weighs roughly 3,300lb. Assuming a dolly weighs about 800lb, I wonder if our equinox would be able to tow that. Speed would be kept down of course, probably to a maximum 55-60mph. It's more of a "What if" than anything. Do you think it could be done safely, or would it probably kill the equinox?

I don't think you'd have any problems for a short tow atleast. I think the issue with these many many speed automatics is, do they lock the TC in the 3 top gears, and have the logic to hold gears while towing? If so, then you could always tow a good load, up and down long hills on the interstate. If they don't lock the TC, or shift continuously, then heat build up could be an issue and shorten the transmissions life.

What is the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the Equinox? If memory serves, towing has three parts to it that must be considered:
  • gross trailer weight rating (GTWR)
  • gross combination weight rating (GCWR)
  • gross axle weight rating (GAWR)
The dolly will be relieving some of the GAWR from the Equinox, but you still have to consider GTWR and GCWR + braking which may not be adequate as you would be braking for two cars with one set of brakes (unless electric brakes are on the dolly). Does the Equinox have a "class" rating on the hitch? It would likely need to be at least a Class III.

Just some food for thought...

The tow rating is probably a little conservative and has a margin. I think you would be close enough to be within the margin provided you are not towing in extreme conditions.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
The tow rating is probably a little conservative and has a margin. I think you would be close enough to be within the margin provided you are not towing in extreme conditions.

There's likely a margin, physically, but there isn't one legally. That is, you may have enough reserve in your equipment to safely tow 5,000 pounds, but you're legally over-weight at anything above 3,500. If you have an accident and are towing, any good attorney will have your rig weighed.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

There's likely a margin, physically, but there isn't one legally. That is, you may have enough reserve in your equipment to safely tow 5,000 pounds, but you're legally over-weight at anything above 3,500. If you have an accident and are towing, any good attorney will have your rig weighed.

Quote:
There's likely a margin, physically, but there isn't one legally.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! I bet the Equinox could tow a mobile home. Good luck in court if something goes wrong.

No one said what was prudent and legal just what was mechanically safe lol. In all reality something really bad would have to go down before the tow load being a few 100lbs over rating would be investigated, and you'd probably be on the hook for something else anyway.

No one said what was prudent and legal just what was mechanically safe lol. In all reality something really bad would have to go down before the tow load being a few 100lbs over rating would be investigated, and you'd probably be on the hook for something else anyway.

Does not matter. "Mechanically safe" or not, over the limit, door is wide open for lawsuit and you will lose.

Who are you to determine what is "mechanically safe"? The manual says different. Glad you are "lol'n". The person that gets smashed into will be "lol'n" last (and all the way to the bank).

I've seen it happen. It's not the time to be "lol'n". It's the world we live in, folks.

The OP asked if the car would suffer mechanical damage. There's conservatism in the load rating. You know what you can do with the rest of your uptight disrespecful post buddy. You have a serious attitude problem.

You do not know what mechanical damage will incur by towing over the limit. It is assumption on your part about "conservatism".

I acknowledged that under the laws of physics, the Equinox would most likely be able to get a mobile home in motion. Does not make it safe. Does not make it legal.

These are public roads. It is a privelage, not a right to use them. Smash into me while towing over the limit and I will sue the pants off you.

Nick R, made it clear in the first post that he doesn't plan on doing this. He just wants to know the mechanical limitations of his SUV. < Nothing wrong with knowing the limits of one's vehicle.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Nick R, made it clear in the first post that he doesn't plan on doing this. He just wants to know the mechanical limitations of his SUV. < Nothing wrong with knowing the limits of one's vehicle.

The limits are clearly spelled out and Nick R is aware of the limitations. If he chooses to go over them, he enters a world of unknown.

There is nobody on this forum or anywhere else that can intelligently advise on what is safe or not once the printed maximum limits are exceeded - period.

Wow, this thread got "Bob'd" quickly.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

The limits are clearly spelled out and Nick R is aware of the limitations. If he chooses to go over them, he enters a world of unknown.

There is nobody on this forum or anywhere else that can intelligently advise on what is safe or not once the printed maximum limits are exceeded - period.

It's a "what if" thread, as was mentioned in the original post. If harmless open discussion can't take place on the internet, what do we have left? You'd swear Nick was opening a vehicle rental company and wanted to rewrite the manual before letting people borrow the car...

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

So what about for cars with no published tow rating? A reasonable person or any automotive engineer would say that any car is capable of towing some amount of weight, but the manufacturer has decided not to give any rating? Or someone has their spare tire on, or someone has slightly lower or higher tire pressure...
I think unless you are a practicing lawyer specializing in traffic cases, you probably don't have a good idea what you can sue for and what you can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back