Ranger drivetrain fluid change interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Ranger 3 years / 30k miles ago and changed out the transmission, front diff, rear diff, and tcase. Transmission got nothing special ATF...appropriate type. Gear lube was non-synthetic.

I know ATF usually gets changed out every 30-45k miles...but that's ATF in an automatic transmission. I have no clue what the gear lube interval is. I only haul 1500 lb loads a few times a year...but mostly a low cost commuter.

What do you guys think?

I changed it at 30K mile intervals when I had a manual trans Ranger, just because it was easy. 60K would probably be safe. I don't think Ford even had a defined interval for the M5OD in the Ranger.

They do have a service interval for M5OD-R1, it's 100K kms or 5 years. No harm in doing it sooner, mine has been changed twice in 34K kms. The differential are on the same interval unless submerged, 80w90 unless LSD then they call for 75W140 and 8oz of friction modifier.

The maintenance guide that came with my truck says to replace manual transmission fluid "as required" and only if towing.

It also has a section on rear axle lubricant where it says that the fluid is lifetime unless submerged in water. It basically says synthetic has an as needed interval and conventional needs to be changed every 3,000 miles/3 months.

I don't agree with it and have done my own maintenance plan, but that's what Ford was suggesting in 2002.
21.gif

Owner's manuals / maintenance guides are here...
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/S...p;menuIndex1=16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back