Mobil 1 AFE or Royal Purple 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have recently joined the forum in hopes to learn more on different types of oil's etc. I made a purchase approximately 2 weeks ago on a 2012 Honda Civic SI sedan with a 2.4 liter engine. The owners manual recommends oil with an API certification and viscosity of 0W-20. Normally, I have been running Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles. However, Mobil 1 only makes 0W-20 in an Advance Fuel Economy brand which I am not to confident in. I am not looking to squeeze the best MPG out of my oil/engine; rather, I am looking for the best protection I can get for my engine. My driving habits consist of a 25-30 mile commute to work with occasional spirited accelerations etc. Taking care of my car is my top priority, but I also want to be able to mash the heck out of the gas when the feeling hits me and not worry about the protection of my engine. I have been looking at Royal Purple's 0W-20 oil which does have the API certification that the owners manual states is a requirement; however, would this be my best choice or would Amsoil be more appropriate? Thanks for all of your help regarding this matter.

Regards,
Truckin
cool.gif

I'd run whichever is cheapest. RP is a very stout oil but is overkill if you aren't really running that motor hard or are interested in going past a 5k change interval.

What don't you like about Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE? For an off-the-shelf and reasonably priced synthetic 0W-20 oil when on sale, it's not a terrible oil in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: TruckinSI12
Hi all,

I have recently joined the forum in hopes to learn more on different types of oil's etc. I made a purchase approximately 2 weeks ago on a 2012 Honda Civic SI sedan with a 2.4 liter engine. The owners manual recommends oil with an API certification and viscosity of 0W-20. Normally, I have been running Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles. However, Mobil 1 only makes 0W-20 in an Advance Fuel Economy brand which I am not to confident in. I am not looking to squeeze the best MPG out of my oil/engine; rather, I am looking for the best protection I can get for my engine. My driving habits consist of a 25-30 mile commute to work with occasional spirited accelerations etc. Taking care of my car is my top priority, but I also want to be able to mash the heck out of the gas when the feeling hits me and not worry about the protection of my engine. I have been looking at Royal Purple's 0W-20 oil which does have the API certification that the owners manual states is a requirement; however, would this be my best choice or would Amsoil be more appropriate? Thanks for all of your help regarding this matter.

Regards,
Truckin
cool.gif

Welcome to the forum. I would check in your manual to see if it recommends an SM or SN rated oil. m1 AFE is a great oil and you can use with confidence, some say it is better than regular M1 due to the higher quailty base stocks used in the AFE to achieve the 0w. Quaker state ultimate durability, valvoline synpower, Castrol edge, and Kendall all make 0w-20 full synthetic oils. Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 is rare to find in the US.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
volk, the new RP 0w20 is SN.

Thanks for the info, couldn't remember if RP made a 0w-20 before SN.

Run whichever has the highest VI. I know the M1 AFE has the lowest MRV of the bunch making it the best cold performer.

There is SN rated RP 0w-20. For a vehicle that specified 0w-20, I'd have no problem with either the RP or the M1 AFE. There certainly are other options out there. Hopefully, CATERHAM will chime in, since he knows all about the various 0w-20s that are available.

The Mobil 1 AFE just makes me feel like it is about the MPG instead of the best protection I can get. Just not looking for something that gives "better fuel economy" rather "better engine protection". I will be doing a 5k mile change with either a K&N oil filter or the OEM Honda filter. I will check into the SM or SN recommendation although I don't think it recommends one. I think it just stated as long as it as an API certification with the 0W-20 it is acceptable. Will look into this to be certain. Thanks for your help so far!

Regards,
Truckin

I was reading the pds for RP. Why do they recommend waiting 2k miles or 1 oci before switching to it? Also why are the VI and flashpoint so low, is it because of esters?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
I was reading the pds for RP. Why do they recommend waiting 2k miles or 1 oci before switching to it?

That and I just don't see the point of running RP for a 5k OCI. It's not economical in my opinion. Sure it doesn't necessarily 'hurt' the engine, but it hurts your wallet dumping a oil that should have plenty of life left at 5k, especially on such a modern engine. The K&N is a decent oil filter, but I'd rather run a Purolator Pure One at about half the price. Just my opinions of course.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I was reading the pds for RP. Why do they recommend waiting 2k miles or 1 oci before switching to it? Also why are the VI and flashpoint so low, is it because of esters?

No all there oils have low VIs.
The RP oils I like are their 0W-20 (VI 177), 0W-40 (VI 182) and 5W-40 (VI 179).

Between those two oils I will choose Royal Purple all the time and all day long. Seen race engines at my shop that have run M1 and RP and every SINGLE time there is less wear with RP than M1 fed cars. Don't get me wrong, M1 AFE will probably give you a long healthy life as well but in my case even a little wear, albeit being normal bugs me. I am a perfectionist to the n'th degree.

Why does everyone keep mentioning 5k OCI? I didn't see any reference to a 5k OCI in the OP. Honda OCI with Truckin's habits will probably be in the 7-10k range

The Mobil 1 AFE just makes me feel like it is about the MPG instead of the best protection I can get. Just not looking for something that gives "better fuel economy" rather "better engine protection". I will be doing a 5k mile change with either a K&N oil filter or the OEM Honda filter. I will check into the SM or SN recommendation although I don't think it recommends one. I think it just stated as long as it as an API certification with the 0W-20 it is acceptable. Will look into this to be certain. Thanks for your help so far!

Regards,
Truckin

M1 0-20 is an outstanding oil. It has one of the better base stock formulations, and from my experience it protects very well. As you can see I use it for 10K OCIs and my engines are clean as new through the oil fill hole, show no sign of engine wear, and the engines are very quite for a 4 cyl engine. If you want pics of through the oil fill hole let me know.

Last edited:
However, Mobil 1 only makes 0W-20 in an Advance Fuel Economy brand which I am not to confident in.

Welcome to the forum!

Fear not about the "Advanced Fuel Economy" label on Mobil 1's 0W-20. That's just how ExxonMobil markets its 0W-20 and 0W-30. They will still offer excellent protection for your K24 engine, even when driven hard. There are other good choices out there, but for the price, I find the Mobil 1 0W-20 hard to beat. I run it in both of my Hondas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back