Where to buy spring clamp for radiator hose ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The E430 hose clamp I replaced 2 weeks ago seems to not hold up very well. I think I may try the spring clamp to see if it will work better. The problem is neither O'Reilly nor Autozone has it. Have to go to dealer to buy 1 ? Which dealer ?

I have had better luck with the worm gear hose clamps than the spring clamp style hose clamps. You should try the IDEAL brand of worm gear hose clamps which are sold at Pep Boys and Northern Tool stores. I think they are built sturdier than the other brands found at most major auto parts stores. IDEAL also makes the Tridon brand, but I believe those are their lower grade clamps. If you have a hose supplier/fabrication shop nearby, you can get the heavy duty industrial hose clamps which have a solid worm gear design that cannot cut into the hose surface.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Throw those stupid spring clamps In the trash!they are designed for 1 time use only. Put worm clamps on it and check them in 2 weeks

I used worm clamp and it stopped the leak for few days and started small leak yesterday. I tightened it a little more today, will check everyday for few weeks. I think the spring clamp on my LS400 did very well for 18 years without any leak. I called 2 Lexus dealers and none has it in stock.

The radiator hose is 1.2-1.3", so I need a spring clamp in the size of 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". Both O'Reilly and Autozone don't have that size. Hard to search anything on Pep Boys.

15B1409-A.jpg

My friend uses these type constant tension AKA constant torque type worm gear clamps on his car. You can get them in stainless steel. No problems with them.

Spring clamps work great until they wear out. I've got almost none left on the Jeep. Using decent worm clamps (but not the nice ones shown above, which I can only find at marine stores for like $10 per clamp), I've been able to get rid of all the leaks. I tighten the clamps just short of the point of damaging them, and many of my connections have ended up double clamped.

Good idea about "double clamped". I was thinking about that for a while, not sure if it will work. I'll try double clamp the upper hose at the radiator neck.

^And of course you want enough tension but not overkill on cheaper/perhaps older plastic connections. Care on the double clamp.

Here's my $0.02 on spring clamps. I like them very much, they never leak for me whereas the gear type (BMW OEM) will leak. On my Toyotas and the Honda, I have never had one of the spring clamps leak.

Now having said that here is what I found. The dealer does not carry them in stock. I always have to order them. Maybe this is a sign that they don't need to be replaced when putting on new hoses? I don't know.

Second, I have found that the clamping range of the spring clamps is extremely limited. That is why you don't find many aftermarket ones. On one of my Toyotas I bought aftermarket hoses for the radiator. The OEM clamps would not fit because the aftermarket hoses were slightly thicker, so I had to use a gear clamp (which eventually leaked). I went out and got an OEM hose and new spring clamps and it has been dry ever since.

If you need to use a hose clamp (worm style) the ABA brand ones are very nice and are non-marring. You can pick them up at McMaster Carr, but they do not advertise them as being ABA brand.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Here's my $0.02 on spring clamps. I like them very much, they never leak for me whereas the gear type (BMW OEM) will leak. On my Toyotas and the Honda, I have never had one of the spring clamps leak.

Now having said that here is what I found. The dealer does not carry them in stock. I always have to order them. Maybe this is a sign that they don't need to be replaced when putting on new hoses? I don't know.

Second, I have found that the clamping range of the spring clamps is extremely limited. That is why you don't find many aftermarket ones. On one of my Toyotas I bought aftermarket hoses for the radiator. The OEM clamps would not fit because the aftermarket hoses were slightly thicker, so I had to use a gear clamp (which eventually leaked). I went out and got an OEM hose and new spring clamps and it has been dry ever since.

Very good points, I agree spring clamps are better but their limited adjustability and differeing hose diameters from OE can be problem. So they're not as cost effect in the aftermarket.

With either clamp type lubing the hose where the clamp touches ensures the rubber is compressed equally all around and therefore doesn't bunch-up and leak. I use soap.

With plastic radiators spring clamps ensure the ever-present bonehead doesn't crush the fitting.

I think one of the best spring/constant tension clamp is made by Rotor Clip in Germany. I found this Rotor Clip PDF for the Constant Tension Band clamp. The min and max of many constant tension clamps is about 0.3" to 0.4".

http://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/ctb.pdf

I need to carefully measure the OD of the radiator hose and choose the correct size.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
15B1409-A.jpg

My friend uses these type constant tension AKA constant torque type worm gear clamps on his car. You can get them in stainless steel. No problems with them.

I've used those Swedish made deals, and found that if you really try to get them tight, they end up 'stripping' over the indentations, rendering them useless.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back