Think Seafoam could have done this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a guy on another board I'm a member at, that recently had to have the powerhead on his outboard rebuilt.

He added 5 gallons of gas to his fuel tank and then burned about 3 1/2 gallons on a fishing trip. Came home and decided he was done fishing for the winter and put his boat in storage.

Apparently he can't read because he added 8 oz of Seafoam to stabilize the fuel. Then over the course of the next three months added another 8oz per month.

Fired up his boat the other day and made it a short ways before it went TU.

His mechanic claims it was the ethanol in the fuel thats caused the powerhead to blow. Most of the other guys on the board think it was the 32oz of Seafoam in a gallon and a half of gas.

What do you think? That much Seafoam an issue?

On a side note,how stupid does one need to be to spend about $16 on Seafoam to keep $5 worth of gas from going bad?
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
On a side note,how stupid does one need to be to spend about $16 on Seafoam to keep $5 worth of gas from going bad?
crazy.gif

I think that's the answer to the whole issue that you've shared here.

Here's to not reading the instructions and doing it your way cause let's face it, you're smarter then the manufacturer
10.gif

No offence to the OP.

what does "TU" mean?

But yea.....it's hard to say if the Sea Foam caused it....could be a possibility though, since yes, he certainly did "over concentrate" the fuel....for 5 gallons, you only need 5 OUNCES...haha.

Now granted, I have heard of people that will add their additive based on the "tank capacity".....so perhaps this is what he was going by? But he certainly "forgot" he already had "treated" Seafoam-gas in the tank.....

But ya, good point Stewart Fan
smile.gif
Better off just draining the tank, if it's only a seasonal runner....

TU?

Classic military acronym...but I don't want to run afoul of the censors...the second word is "Up"...and it refers to something that has rolled over and died and is now upside down...so the parts that are normally down are up...

Edit: beat me to it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
crazy.gif

He couldn't leave the gas untreated. It doesn't matter if there was one or ten gallons left. Seafoam contains 10-20% alcohol. The alcohol and ethanol in the fuel wasn't doing him any favors. Stabil or MMO would have been a better choice.

My buddy uses MMO in his 2 stroke. He just uses a heavier dose in the tank right before he winterizes his boat.

Last edited:
exactly.....but there's still many people who believe the logic of "more = better!"....similiar to the heavier oil = better :p Not always the case
wink.gif

Thanks for the mathematical computation gathermewool
wink.gif
That really sheds some light....and ya, I'd have to say, the Seafoam probably DID kill it - not because Sea Foam "sucks" or is a sub-par additive, or whatever, but because of user error, and not following directions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back