15w-40 instead of 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am trying to complile a list of reasons as to why my boss should stop using 15w-40 rotella diesel oil in our entire fleet.

we have 6 medium duty IH dump trucks, several cat backhoes, and about 80 gas pickups; mostly 2010+ ford f250s, with a few dodges, and chevys mixed in. we also have a few "passenger type" vehicles; ford escapes, ford station wagons, jeep libertys/grand cherokees, etc. we also have two ford hybrid cars (i forget what model). all vehicles are gas, except the dump trucks/equipment. 99% of them call for 5w-20.

using 15-40 in them cant possibly doing them any good, can it? these new engines are not the same engines made in the 80s. we have several pretty new trucks that have serious bottom end knocks/valve train noise. my boss thinks this is totally normal.

i was dumbfounded when i first started working at this job, and was pouring 15-40 into dodge neons. our fleet is plaged with oil leaks, low-hour engine failures, low-hour major component rebuilds, and general un-reliability. *i* think alot this stems from their "one oil fits all" approach. we only use one engine oil (15-40), one atf (atfII), and one gear oil (80/90). nothing in the fleet calls for atfII, or 80/90. yet we spend $28/gallon for some gimmick synthetic hydraulic oil.

am i over thinking this, or am i on the right track?

You're right...but the real issue isn't what's good for the vehicles (his program clearly isn't working) but what is good for your future employment. There are some folks who don't take feedback or constructive criticism very well...alternatively, he may have a very good reason for his maintenance program...

Tread carefully...

Originally Posted By: clatterpillar
i our fleet is plaged with oil leaks, low-hour engine failures, low-hour major component rebuilds, and general un-reliability.

i run a fleet of 20 vehicles and this statement above can apply to any fleet with multiple drivers. most drivers just don't care because it is not theirs.

if i were you i would not make any waves with todays job market, but if you ever find youself in a position of head of the fleet (some day) then you can make changes. if you bring up the state of the fleet the fleet manager is going to feel threatened and since he goes boating with the boss etc etc...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: caravanmike
i our fleet is plaged with oil leaks, low-hour engine failures, low-hour major component rebuilds, and general un-reliability.

i run a fleet of 20 vehicles and this statement above can apply to any fleet with multiple drivers. most drivers just don't care because it is not theirs.

if i were you i would not make any waves with todays job market, but if you ever find youself in a position of head of the fleet (some day) then you can make changes. if you bring up the state of the fleet the fleet manager is going to feel threatened and since he goes boating with the boss etc etc...

You may want to bring up Rotella 10w30 and meet him halfway.

I think that it would be a much better choice for N.Y. weather.

Remember bosses know best, LOL. If you question them some feel threatened and think you're after their job, and will do whatever they have to in order to protect their position. If you approach the owner he might go to his guy in charge and tell him what you said, then you can have problems too. IMO its a no win situation. I'd let him use whatever he wants, if the equipment breaks so be it. Besides it makes for good conversation here.

I hope he doesn't have you put that atf II in those neons.. Chrysler transmissions are notoriously picky about their fluids..
the ONLY one that should be used is atf+4. even if the manual calls for atf III, or says that you can use dex/merc in a pinch, DON'T DO IT!! ATF+4 ONLY!!!(for chrysler auto trannys)

Originally Posted By: caravanmike

+1

You should see how some of these drivers abuse company property.

I even knew one that did it "because they could" and also worked a second even better-paying job and "got off" on drilling the van that likely had some 10W-40 in it in 0 DEGREE mornings as well as other abuses to transmission.. "got off" on it, so to speak.

I am unaware of how such an attitude, with use of company property, can result in employment being kept. She was fired for unrelated liberties with "work"... but it wasnt for van abuse..

Also, +1 on the oil advice. Some may think youare trying to assert yourself where you shouldnt, and all manner of unreasonability will ensue. Much like the lady that wants you to change the oil, and the next day says you broke her transmission.
wink.gif

They likely think the thicker oil will protect the engine better. Just do what they say until you get to know them better. Then if they learn to trust your judgement you can make changes. People in charge do what they do because they are in charge.

I let my long list of bosses shoot themselves in the foot every day! 15W 40 if for big rig diesels that cold start once a week because that oil is thicker than molasses in the winter.

With the gas engine vehicles, I would advise using a quality 5-30 as a general engine oil. Of course, M1 5-30 would be recomendation.
thankyou2.gif

Last edited:
This may be a comentary about the quality of the vehicles. "Thinner" oil is often specified to lower fuel consumption as much as any lubrication advantage. That 15-40 is good quality oil. Any "issues" relating to cold winter startups are probably offset by better summer protection. When, and if the boss gets a warranty claim rejected by "the wrong oil" he will learn for himself. If he doesn't want to hear what the manual specifies from YOU, take the hint before he solves that problem another way.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
This may be a comentary about the quality of the vehicles. "Thinner" oil is often specified to lower fuel consumption as much as any lubrication advantage. That 15-40 is good quality oil. Any "issues" relating to cold winter startups are probably offset by better summer protection. When, and if the boss gets a warranty claim rejected by "the wrong oil" he will learn for himself. If he doesn't want to hear what the manual specifies from YOU, take the hint before he solves that problem another way.

Eh, yeah. Because there are hundred`s of unemployed out there waiting to take your place. And all bosses know this right now.

clatterpillar, save your breath. Your fleet manager knows what he's doing, that's why he's the manager (can you detect the sarcasm?) and the boss is clueless as to why there are so many failures and obviously either doesn't care or is being lied to by the fleet manager. You can't possibly win this one because their egos will get in the way. Just make sure you keep your own nose clean.

Originally Posted By: tig1
With the gas engine vehicles, I would advise using a quality 5-30 as a general engine oil. Of course, M1 5-30 would be recomendation.
thankyou2.gif

Cost concerns.
thankyou2.gif

Originally Posted By: 45ACP
Originally Posted By: tig1
thankyou2.gif

Cost concerns.
thankyou2.gif

But the cost of a quality oil like M1 5-30 is peanuts compared to the engine failures his company is having.

Likely he gets the 15W-40 "cheap" by the drum, so that's what he's using. If he likes paying for engine rebuilds every 50k, let him use his 15W-40....but yea, as mentioned, the job market is hard right now, so I'd tread lightly
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
clatterpillar, save your breath. Your fleet manager knows what he's doing, that's why he's the manager (can you detect the sarcasm?) and the boss is clueless as to why there are so many failures and obviously either doesn't care or is being lied to by the fleet manager. You can't possibly win this one because their egos will get in the way. Just make sure you keep your own nose clean.
You don't want the "fleet manager" to get the idea you want to replace him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back