Titanium vs. Moly in motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is titanium and moly essentially the same thing in regards to what they are there for? Which of the two is better? I see a couple oils have the titanium now, but in a lower PPM than most oils that have moly. What are the thoughts on titanium?

I think they're very similar.

I've used the Kendall Ti oils and like them very much.

It wouldn't surprise me from the smell of it if the Ti antiwear lubricant was also was a disulfide or sulfide; I definitely smell sulfur in that oil. If so, it would work in a very similar fashion with the sulfur clinging to the metal interface.

I imagine or at least they're even compatible; I did add a moly to my Kendall oil run.

Anyways sorry I couldn't really answer much; good question, I'd like to know as well.

Video advertisement found in youtube seem to indicate that Ti acts like some sort of moly which plate to the metal surface preventing wear and friction but at lower temperature compare to moly thus the 2-5% fuel saving gain.

If Liquid Titanium - great additive, why Mobil, Shell, Amsoil, Valvoline,...(except Castrol in some oils) don't use Titanium?

???

Originally Posted By: Izb
If Liquid Titanium - great additive, why Mobil, Shell, Amsoil, Valvoline,...(except Castrol in some oils) don't use Titanium?

???

Mobil, Kendall and castrol are using titanium. It is still a newer additive that has only been a around a couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back