Picking an OBDII Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should one look for when buying an OBDII scanner? Any makes/models to avoid? Or one I should look for? Or are they for the most part the same (VAG-COM for VWs excepted)?

Reason I ask is I see one on sale at Princess Auto for $34.99. It is a "MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBDII Code Reader". Will this do for very occassional DIY use? Vehicle it will be used on primarily is a 2006 Toyota Sienna.

You say scanner and reader in the same post.

Scanners show live data. Readers just get and erase codes.

What do you want?

Nice scanners show I/M monitors so if you have emissions testing you know you're safe ahead of time.

Even nicer scanners do stuff like ABS, body, and airbag codes.

Yet nicer ones are bidirectional and can make the car do stuff, like bleed brake lines.

The law of diminishing returns applies, as the first $35 you spend is the most helpful. Throw the thing in your glovebox and you'll have peace of mind knowing a code is something minor and emissions vs something that's chewing your powertrain up every second you drive.

I have the exact same scanner which I paid about $45 before taxes a few years ago. I own a 98 Sienna and it works great.

I've loaned mine to co-workers for them to scan and reset their CEL's.

Get it before they sell out!

Regards, JC.

Didn't realize there were two tiers, so to speak. This one is described as a reader, which is what I had in mind.

How much more do low end scanners start at?

That is good price for that reader. If I am not mistaken, it can be had for about $30 from Amazon (sometimes cheaper). It also gives you emission status which is generally rare in a cheap reader.

However, itt does not work correctly on some vehicles. (read Amazon reviews on Autel MS300) My 2000 Maxima is one of them. It could not read the code even when the CEL was on. It said "No code"!

- Vikas

Last edited:
This question has been asked so many times, like once a week it seems.

Anyhow - get the best you can afford and go for live data capability since just reading codes isn't much info and leads you to throwing parts at the car,. With live data you can see if the part is truly the problem.

Innova makes some very nice units for under $200 that does all OBD2 and CAN, live data, emmissions readiness tests, etc. I own a lot of scan tools, including a several thousand dollar GM Tech 2....I use my Innova more just because it's so easy and does 90% of what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back