Ultra vs. Mobil 1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for input to help make a decision. I favor Pennzoil Ultra or Mobil 1 Extended Performance for my 06 Impala SS. My driving consists of short-trips between 9-15 miles one way five times a week, and then various other driving environments including highway. The OCI varies, but generally I follow the OLM. Are these Oils so close it doesn't matter? Or, is there clear proof one is superior to the other. I have viewed many UOA's and that, to me, seems inconclusive. I do know there is a veritable thousand years of lubrication experience on these forums, so there many be something to lean one way or the other. Any help would be appreciated.

I think they're both better than the spec on which the OLM is predicated....so, I would choose the one you can get cheaper. I like both, use both, but they're both more than the car needs...so let your wallet choose...

First, welcome.

Both of your selections are fine choices, but both are likely overkill for an OLM OCI.

Based on UOAs I've seen on here Ultra isn't much of an extended drain oil. But you should be fine with either one in your application following OLM.

Quote:
Are these Oils so close it doesn't matter?

I think so. The gap has really closed in the synthetic market. Ultra is a very good oil and definitely on par or better than M1. To close to call.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
Are these Oils so close it doesn't matter?

I think so. The gap has really closed in the synthetic market. Ultra is a very good oil and definitely on par or better than M1. To close to call.

Agreed. Very close.

Pick a good filter too like NAPA Gold, Wix, Mobil 1, PureOne, etc.

OP, have confidence in either in your SS. 5.3L, right? Enjoy!

In the 5W-30 this car needs, Plat, M1 and QSUD all meet the current Dexos 1 spec and are approved by GM as such.
Therefore, any of these oils should be fine to run to the limits of the OLM in your car.
Remember that the OLM accounts for how you use the car, so the way you drive it is irrelevant to its accuracy.
You could spend a little more on Ultra or M1 EP, but you probably don't need to.
Buy some FAR QSUD, and sleep well knowing that the oil meets GM's current, and pretty tough, spec for gas engines.

First of all,
welcome2.gif

Second, both oils are great and you can not go wrong with either. I would check your local ads or websites for Autozone, AAP and Oreillys and choose the oil that is on sale and has a great filter deal. They occur often.

Third, you will have many opinions on this site. Most of them are good and rational. Hope that they help you make a decision.

I will add my welome; you've found a great site. Either one will be more than fine following the OLM and they're both regularly on sale. IMO, the M1EP, M1EP oil filter sales at Advance and/or Autozone for around $35 for both oil and filter are an especially good value. You basically get the oil at Wally World prices(or a little less) and a free M1EP filter.

Given that PU gives their oil away cheaply (few dollars after rebate), I would stock up on that and have myself.

When M1 gives me jugs for a few dollars then I will pick that.

I just did a change using Amsoil, and have enough for one more. After that I will start on PU I paid about $2.50 and a stamp per jug and QSUD I spent about 50 cents a jug on.

Old thread, but wanted to say the NOACK volatility of Ultra/PP is not that impressive. M1 is actually better in this area.

I'd use Pennzoil Ultra/PP in a heartbeat, but I don't see much of an advantage over M1. Claiming 8% better piston cleanliness on the Seq IIIG is so small and insignificant. They also used regular M1 for that comparison and not EP. .02

For the oil life monitor, I'd stick with regular Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. The EP is a waste of money for your application & I think Ultra Platinum is a waste of money over Platinum, period. I can't see any benefits to Ultra other than "buying the most expensive because you think it's best for your car." Pennzoil says to follow manufacturer recommended oil change intervals with all of their oils, so what is the advantage of Ultra really? Other than it comes in a cool black bottle...

Old thread, but wanted to say the NOACK volatility of Ultra/PP is not that impressive. M1 is actually better in this area.

Just curious, where do you find that M1's NOACK is lower than PP/PU? It seems like the Pennzoil products have some very, very low NOACK numbers?

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope

Just curious, where do you find that M1's NOACK is lower than PP/PU? It seems like the Pennzoil products have some very, very low NOACK numbers?

robert

Ultra 5W30 NOACK is 11.5

M1 AFE Noack is 10% (EP probably lower being it has significantly more PAO)
M1 0w40 is 8%
M1 EP 5w30 is 8.5%.

Most of the Ultra oils are all above 11% I believe.

M1 AFE Noack is 10% (EP probably lower being it has significantly more PAO)
M1 0w40 is 8%
M1 EP 5w30 is 8.5%.

Most of the Ultra oils are all above 11% I believe.

Where did you get the M1 numbers? I don't see them published? Not that I don't believe you. Thanks,

robert

This is a little strange. PQIA testing, 5W30, showed the PUP NOACK to be at 6.6 while Pennzoil's own product information sheets for the various weights of PUP say between 10 and 13%.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
This is a little strange. PQIA testing, 5W30, showed the PUP NOACK to be at 6.6 while Pennzoil's own product information sheets for the various weights of PUP say between 10 and 13%.

That's the old formula with much lower NOACK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back