Pennzoil platinum performance vs mobil1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey people,

Im using mobil 1 5w20 in a 1.6 that need to rev a lot to get some power, i have used pennzoil platinum before and i feel it was performing better in that small engine, better mileage, and the cara feels light, and more responsive.

Is mobil 1 is not the best anymore? Any comments?

Quote:

Is mobil 1 is not the best anymore? Any comments?

Don't recall anyone saying it was the best in the first place. Both oils seems to be well regarded. Best just to pick one and rest assured.

Last edited:
If both were 5w20 any difference in performance IMO is psychological. Both are good oils, i wouldn't say one was "better" than the other.

Originally Posted By: penz08
Agree,

I do still think penz is more slipery, maybe the add pack is better, more moly, i think sopus product have more moly.

Aslo, more valve noise with mobil.....

Aslo, more valve noise with mobil.....
[/quote]

I never heard valve noise with Mobil per say. I hear more valve noise in my application when I use 0W oils, but it's only on initial cold start up (below 30f degrees or so). I used Lubro Moly, after hearing the valve noise more than I wanted to, it seemed to do the trick for me. I seem to have less valve noise when I use my OEM Spec 10W30.
As for what oil is best, there both good, the best I can say for P.P. is its $3.50 less a jug than Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart. As for the Add Pack on Pennzoil looking more robust than Mobil 1, perhaps it's has to be that way, due to the quality of the Base Stock.

Im not saying i have a tick or knock noise, just a litte bite noisier during acceleration, an yes of course a10w30 will quiet things down, but hey, who recommend this oil weight in 2012, only in very hot weather year long, even tho, a 5w30 would be fine in todays engine

Originally Posted By: penz08
Im not saying i have a tick or knock noise, just a litte bite noisier during acceleration, an yes of course a10w30 will quiet things down, but hey, who recommend this oil weight in 2012, only in very hot weather year long, even tho, a 5w30 would be fine in todays engine

True, don't think anybody needs to 10W30 if if car is spec'd for it, but my car has that listed at the recommended oil. Not so sure about synthetics, but I seen UOA'S where a 5W30 Dino shears to a 20W at some time( which isn't a bad thing) and less likely to happen with a 10W30, maybe when the developed my engine, they took that in consideration and didn't want my oil to shear down a weight, as it was spec'd for Dino. But back to the original question, I think Mobil or Pennzoil are both fine synthetics.

Last edited:
Well, it depend of your oc intervals, if you go more than 5000miles, with dino, change it asap. Thats why i would go synthetic with a 5w20 weight. Thin oil circulate faster, keep engine cooler when running, less break down. Synthetic keeps it cooler too. Not by much but, its a plus, its not the oil weight that really wear an engine, its the heat. With tight engine that we have these days, thick stuff dont flow as easy, more deposit, so more sluge and heated old burned residue in valves , etc..

Originally Posted By: Trav
If both were 5w20 any difference in performance IMO is psychological. Both are good oils, i wouldn't say one was "better" than the other.

This.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

This.

If you do some research, you will see.

This.

If you do some research, you will see.

No body on BITOG has used More M1 oil than I have, but I would never say M1 oils are the best. However M1 oils are amoung the best oils. With that said I believe M1 has a higher quality base stock than PP or PU. Don't get me wrong, if M1 went out of business today my next OC would be PP only for a 8K OCI instead of the 10K I have been doing.

This.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back