Cooper CS4 or Michelin Primacy MXV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to tirerack.com and compare the two tires. Oops, Tire Rack doesn't sell Cooper Tires!

Although I am not a Michelin fan, I would think that it is the better tire, especially for the small different.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Go to tirerack.com and compare the two tires.

Although I am not a Michelin fan, I would think that it is the better tire, especially for the small different.

I couldn't find Cooper tires anywhere on TR...

Originally Posted By: cchase
Go to tirerack.com and compare the two tires.

I couldn't find Cooper tires anywhere on TR...

Yep, sorry, I modified my post, since I couldn't find any Cooper Tires either. You didn't name your car, so I didn't go to tire rack first.

Did you notice that there were two different Michelin Primacy MXV4 ? They had different wear ratings, probably one is newer version. Check out what you are buying.

I have a set of MXV4s on the newer Accord, and I am happy with them.
The Michelin rebate virtually wipes out the difference in price, so price really isn't a factor.
I've used Cooper tires in the past, and found them to be very satisfactory.
The Michelin would be the mainstream choice, but the Cooper may actually be the better tire, or not.
Did any of CR's recent tire tests include the Cooper?
That may be a good source of comparative data.
I can tell you that the MXV4 is great in the rain, but offers uninspiring snow traction.

Liking my Primacy MXV4 on my 3.0L Accord. Sort of a default choice after my flatspotting experience and return of Conti DWS'. Haven't been disappointed with the Primacy MXV4's though.

Can't speak to the Coopers.

Did you notice that there were two different Michelin Primacy MXV4 ? They had different wear ratings, probably one is newer version. Check out what you are buying.

There are generally H and V (and in a few sizes T) speed rated versions and some are GreenX and some not.

I would go with Michelin's particularly since you are out of pocket 10.00 more after rebate, seems like a no brainer to me, but the only experience I have with Cooper is quite old (and they were awful).

Wife has the Coopers on her Saturn 300. Excellent winter traction for us here in central PA, quiet on the road and good wear. I went with Cooper because the last pair of Michelins I had gave terrible wear....gone before 35,000 miles on a car driven by a lady in her 60's.

My dad had 30k miles on his Cooper CS4's(07 Camry) and he wanted to put those tires on his new 12 Camry. That's how much he liked them. Quiet, smooth, and good traction in the Cleveland, OH area. There's a thread on here about the CS4's which is very positive.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Wife has the Coopers on her Saturn 300. Excellent winter traction for us here in central PA, quiet on the road and good wear. I went with Cooper because the last pair of Michelins I had gave terrible wear....gone before 35,000 miles on a car driven by a lady in her 60's.

Which michelins? were they oem? energy series?

I could talk about bad coopers all day but they wouldnt be CS4's they would be cobras or lifeliners.

I just remeber they were marked something like MX4 on the sidewall. I bought them as expensive replacement tires for the Satturn when the OEM tires were shot.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
I just remeber they were marked something like MX4 on the sidewall. I bought them as expensive replacement tires for the Satturn when the OEM tires were shot.

There are Energy MXV4's (widely disliked) and then these Primacys (widely liked).

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Cooper. I wouldn't use Michelins for anything but a tire swing!

Interesting. Is there a reason behind that line of thinking?

Mostly, Michelin's appalling treatment of the people unfortunate enough to have bought their XRV tires. (Some of which exploded while PARKED!) Also, their reaction to ANY problem seems to be, "It must be your fault, because our tires are perfect! Shut up and buy another one."

Mostly, Michelin's appalling treatment of the people unfortunate enough to have bought their XRV tires. (Some of which exploded while PARKED!) Also, their reaction to ANY problem seems to be, "It must be your fault, because our tires are perfect! Shut up and buy another one."

Okay, thank you for your input. I haven't had any past issues with Michelin tires so that's not a concern for me.

Does anyone know how Coopers lesser tires stack up against the CS4's?

At any particular time that I was ready for tires on any of my vehicles, Michelin tires were still too expensive even if there were a $70 Rebate, which there often WAS NOT!. Although, the tires I purchaced, did have a $40 Rebate(s).

I'd love to get Michelin MXV4(Primacy, NOT Energy) if they were made in all of the sizes for all of my/our vehicles which they may or may not!

The CS4's do have a group following and the reviews seem to be very good. With either tire, there will be Pros/Cons, good and bad reviews too.

We as consumers, expect alot from Michelin and they mostly deliver.

But, since this is the subject between the two tires, and if one can get the price close to what one will find acceptable then, Michelin Primacy MXV4 is the one that I'd pick

Since I have 4 cars and, often 2 cars needing tires at the same time, I shop carefully. Because the other 2 will be needing tires soon after. I have only had Michelin tires on vehicles that came with'em and I liked them. I have never bought Michelin's aftermarket!

These days with the NET and better choices from other tire mfg's on the market such as Pirelli, (Cooper CS4), Kumho, Hankook, Altimax(s) etc., I have been quite happy with my choices without spending Michelin moneys', since I have 4 vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back