4 qts Chevron 5W30 SL, 1 qt Havoline SL 2005 Toyota Matrix 1.8L 1ZZFE, 4976 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm hoping I sent Blackstone the right sample...I changed the oil in both my Matrix and my wifes Honda powered Vue within a couple of days of each other and I THINK I may have mixed the samples up
banghead.gif

Actually looking at the Vue's last UOA I think I got them right.

No additives whatsoever were added...I think the high moly count is left over from SM Havoline that I ran for 1600 miles prior to this batch of Chevron SL. Oh yes...1 quart of the 4 used in this run ws a quart of 5W30 Havoline SL

Current fill is Castrol Synth Blend (5W30) and I am returning my best MPG numbers of any oil used

Purolater 14476 filter used...Tin went from 0 to 2...any concerns there?
confused.gif

-

[ June 28, 2006, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Blue_Goose ]

Several posted UOAs of straight Chevron Supreme over the past six months have shown moly counts in the same range of Havoline. The differences between these "two" oils are more imaginary than real. (and I don't care what a rep, who can't be identified beyond a stated given name, on the other end of a company's consumer-hotline says) Your choice of motor oil is resulting in a very nicely wearing Toyota motor.

The UOA dated 1/28/06 was also with Chevron 5W30 SL and the moly count is 48.....this latest UOA is also Chevron 5W30 SL with 1 qt of Havoline 5W30 SL. The moly count here is 213.....like I said I ran Havoline 5W30 SM for 1600 miles before I switched over to the SL stuff....didn't SL stuff have low moly but with the SM designation it boosted way up?

Am I seeing residue from the SM fill? (not that any of this matters at all other than just trying to figure out the diff in moly between the 1/28 UOA and this one)

Goose
patriot.gif

Looks like an SM Chevron to me . Probably just a very late run of SL and Chevron had already switched to its newer moly formula by the time they filled those bottles.

Now that I think of it, one bottle of the Chevron did say GF-4 on it but still had the SL designation..the other 2 said GF-3
dunno.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

Thanks for testing! Where's the wear metals?
wink.gif
I have 300 miles on havoline syn 10w30 SL right now in my 06 Vibe with 3000 total miles. I'm going to send a sample when I get at least 7500 miles out of the oil. hope my UOA looks just as good.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue_Goose:
Now that I think of it, one bottle of the Chevron did say GF-4 on it...

The official intro date for SM was November 30, 2004 and the API strictly held oil formulators to that date. However, the blenders were permitted to jump the gun and begin selling the new formulation earlier than that as long as they didn't designate "SM" in the API donut. (Curiously, they were permitted to state in print on the bottles's product description text that the oil met SM qualifications. So much for the API's strictly enforced product identification requirements...
rolleyes.gif
) Meanwhile, ILSAC didin't give a flyin' fig if blenders went ahead and labled the new formulations as GF-4 early. Users in the market for some oil got a headstart on the new formulations if, A> they understood what was going on, or B> sleep-walked into a purchase of the confusingly labled new stuff without realizing their good fortune.

I agree, Trex. There are, however, posts from people who've apparently contacted Chevron Oil for clarification and been assured that the two oil brands differ with the claim that Havoline is the superior formulation. I don't doubt that's what the callers were told, but, personally, I remain unconvinced there's really any substantive difference. (Hint, if you were to somehow get my telephone number and contact me, I might well tell you that the U.S. Treasury would mail you one million U.S. dollars a week from Tuesday...
wink.gif
)

That makes sense to me know Ray...thanks for the explanation...
smile.gif
That one bottle must have had the moly in it...it was dated August 04 where the others marked GF3 were June 04

Nobody has commented on the slight rise in Tin and Sodium...any concerns there?

Goose
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back