Tire Installation Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a set of General GMax AS-03 tires for my 350Z and had them installed Thursday afternoon. It rained all day yesterday, so finally got to eyeball them today. Tires are 225/50/17 front, 235/50/17 rear. However, installer reversed the tires on the driver side, putting the 235's on the front and 225's on the rear. Passenger sides installed correctly. Of course, they are closed until Monday. Any problem with driving with tires this way until Monday? I honestly dont feel any pull, etc. with the tires this way, but absolutely want them corrected ASAP and dont want to damage anything. Thanks for your help.

different diameter would be hard on your differential(
I wouldnt drive except back to get fixed

are all 4 rims the same? I guess you could switch them yourself.

You'll be ok. Just get it handled Monday . Heck you could if your worried about it hurting anything tell them you want in writing that if anything was damaged by there mistake that they cover it for 30days. They will agree to it if they are a decent place. My friend has a similar issue and that's what they did. But you should be OK.

Rand is right and I agree I wouldn't drive it if I didn't have to but I wouldn't lose much sleep if I had to go pick something up down the road either.

The height between a 225 and a 235 is very small as long as both are the same series.

No 2 tires are exactly the same size anyway. Plus if differentials were damaged that easily every car with a donut spare would be on the side of the road with a blown up diff.

Drive it and don't worry.

All rims are the same. I would fix them myself but getting the jack under the car is a PITA. It would take longer to get it jacked up properly than to switch the tires.

If you have an open rear diff, no damage will occur. If you have a limited slip rear diff, damage may occur.

Can't you just lift the driver's side of the car and swap the two wheels? Or are they mounted on the wrong rims as well (different width rim front/rear)?

I would minimize your driving though over the course of a weekend I doubt it will be a problem. It's true that the differential will generate a bit of extra heat but I don't think it'll be a big problem until you get back to the shop.

Originally Posted By: cwing6
All rims are the same. I would fix them myself but getting the jack under the car is a PITA. It would take longer to get it jacked up properly than to switch the tires.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a better jack!

If swapping them myself isn't an option and the car has a limited slip differential, I'd probably decrease pressure by a couple psi on the 235 and increase pressure by a couple psi on the 225 to compensate.

Also, the tires arent different in diameter, just tread width.
The wider tire will be slightly taller. A 235/70 tire has a sidewall thats 70 as tall as the tread is wide.

The difference in heigth between a 235/70 and a 22570 would be just a couple milimeters.

Thanks to all for the replies. I spent the last 45 mins switching the tires so I should be good to go. BITOGers are great!

This may be a stupid question but how do you tell?

You should be able to just measure the rim width. A width difference of about 1" should be fairly evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back