How To Protect Battery Terminals From Corrosion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just cleaned the light layer of green colored corrosion from my battery terminals - what's the best , most cost effective coating I can apply to protect against future corrosion ?

Use those felt washers under the clamps,and spritz a little Fluid Film on each terminal.It stays wet.

In addition to greases,felt washer, etc throw a copper penny (not aluminum one) next to the post.
It wont move and will draw all that stuff to it instead of the post.
Chances are if you really have a lot of corrosion the seal between the post and the case is broken.
This is usually from over tightening.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Vasoline!

It's true and cheap.

+1 on Vaseline. It is cheap and lasts a long time on the terminals. I have no experience with the felt washers, but I have been using vaseline on my battery terminals for over 20 years and have never had a corrosion or green fungus problem. I put it on the battery posts and the inside and outside of the cable clamps.

I like the felt washers. Clean it with baking soda first. Vaseline or the red battery spray stuff. Put some chassis grease or never-seeze on the threads of hold down hardware.

+1 on the cracked battery case if you keep getting corrosion back after cleaning it.

Pennie and grease both work. Also check alternator voltage because a situation of overcharging create more gases.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Chances are if you really have a lot of corrosion the seal between the post and the case is broken.
This is usually from over tightening.
X2 or you have an Exide made battery. I've seen brand new ones on the shelf with a green corrosion all over the posts.

Deka or Johnson Controls batteries tend not to corrode the terminals much if any as long as they haven't been over-tightened. This includes not just the battery cables, but the hold-down mechanism as well. I have seen people tighten them down so much that they actually deform the battery case slightly. This is also why I don't take advantage of free battery installation at automotive supply stores. The ones without removable caps for checking the water level (for example, most Deka batteries) seem to be the absolute best about not corroding possibly due to the vent design.

Remember that batteries are not wheels and they don't need 90 ft lbs of torque. Once you can't move the cables by pulling them gently, they are probably tight enough.

The felt terminal protectors and a protector spray seem to help out as well. I use the CRC terminal protector spray, and one can will last for many years. However if the case or seal is cracked, this will only be a temporary fix and they will corrode again soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies ! ...I have only slight green layer on one terminal which cleaned up nicely with baking soda & water ...now just want to keep 'em looking nice .

Although many do, I personally don't like the felt washers. I feel they can become a magnet for dirt, corrosion and shorting if they become saturated/neutralized with acid.
I just clean the terminals when I replace the battery. Vaseline is much better protectant IMO than that red spray junk as well. And it certainly cleans easier.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I just cleaned the light layer of green colored corrosion from my battery terminals - what's the best , most cost effective coating I can apply to protect against future corrosion ?

Coat them with ordinary wheel-bearing grease. It will last for years.

I'm a felt washer guy. Every so often I'll put a little squirt of oil on top of the terminal and on the clamp bolt. Yes, the battery top gets a little oily, and no, I've never had corrosion. Been doing this for 35 years, no problem.

I like the felt washers along with a coating of Permatex High Tack (red, aerosol spray).

However, GM side terminal batteries just get torqued to spec.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Vasoline!

It's true and cheap.

+1 I have used vosoline for 30 years and it works great

Those little felt washers are good. So is the old penny trick.
I also clean the terminals inside and out, tighten them, and give them a few spray paint coats of Rustoleum. it really works great here.

Vaseline is the Bomb. Works like a champ. And very cheap and readily available.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back