New Oz Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just [censored] me off!

We just closed our Ranger factory here because it was totally obsolete.

We could use a sensibly-sized truck like that in the market here, but Ford screwed it all up for us.

Holy cow! $43,800! How much do vehicles cost down under? The Ranger / Mazda B50 base model is under $20,000 in Canada.

It and the Mazda are the biggest in the game at the moment, 3.2L, and 3.25 tonne towing capacity, 1Tonne in the tray.

If you want to see more of what's around, it's got cometitors in it's class:
* Toyota Hilux (obviously);
* Nissan D22 Navara (what I've got for a family car - 10km/l all day every day)
* Nissan D40 Navara;
* Holden Colorado;
* Isuzu D-max
* SSangyong Activa
* Great Wall
* Mahindra PikUp (butt ugliest ute on the road, ugly enough to make me want one)

The ranger looks nice. I would buy one. The BT50 on the other hand . . .
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: Seguino
Holy cow! $43,800! How much do vehicles cost down under? The Ranger / Mazda B50 base model is under $20,000 in Canada.

Everything costs...my D22 Navara was $41,000 in 2003. 4cyl accords are $40k. Hyundai Elantra $21k; Hiluxes $55 before you start optioning. Base Model Commodore around $32k....even Great Walls are mid 20s.

Like I said in the Volt thread, when they come to Oz, the price point is $58kOz, more than 60k US.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
And let me guess... most of those are available with a diesel?

So jealous...

Yep, you can't cross this country (as wide as N.A.) straight across the middle in a Petrol. The mileage is poor, and the emergency fuel dumps are all diesel.

I forgot the VW Amorock in my list as well.

I think Ford is going to change their mind about the Ranger in the USA. They will HAVE to.... gas prices are going to skyrocket with no end in sight and increasingly diesels will become a higher percentage of the US market.

This is one of those times when a big corporation is going to have to admit a significant error in planning.

Awesome looking truck, the interior is luxury car-like, and the front bumper is like an ARB-style off road type, way cool.
The price is steep though, but im liking those fuel economy figures.

I've been seeing a few of the Mazda's around lately - they are going to take some getting used to ! Some people don't like the look of the Mitsubishi Triton, the Mazda BT50 makes it look beautiful.

You forgot the Triton on your list (on purpose I bet) Mitsi dropped the 3.2 in 2010, but it's still in the Pajero. Probably some emission thing - the Triton doesn't have a DPF, the Pajero has. But the 2.5 puts out more grunt than the 3.2 did, has a 3,000kg towing capacity, and is supposed to get 12km/l.

For those who don't ''get'' why we use diesels down here, our work Triton is a 2.4 petrol engine, it puts out 94kw and 194Nm of torque. The 2.5 diesel puts out 131kw and 400Nm of torque - that's a 40% increase in HP, and double the torque....and what feels like twice the fuel economy, our petrol ute really suck in many ways. It's a no brainer, no one wants a petrol ute.

The new V6 Nissan should be out soon.

Leaving out the Triton was an honest oversight (like the VW).

What's the go with their rattly gearboxes that the dealers say is "normal" 'though ?

I don't know about a rattly gearbox, no one has complained about one anyway. The Mitsi common rail seems to be quieter than the other Japanese diesels, the Rodeo is incredibly noisy. We are having warranty problems with the gearbox though - they start baulking into 3rd and Mitsi supply a new syncro hub. We've done 3 in less than a year. As far as real warranty claims go, that's the only real one.

I like when GM and Ford made small trucks. Their "small trucks" have grown to the size of almost full size versions IMO.

The S-10 was a fine size for me. If I would of needed more, I would of got the full size truck..
33.gif

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I think Ford is going to change their mind about the Ranger in the USA. They will HAVE to.... gas prices are going to skyrocket with no end in sight and increasingly diesels will become a higher percentage of the US market.

This is one of those times when a big corporation is going to have to admit a significant error in planning.

Totally agree. Many people want the utility of a pickup in a smaller version. Not only will Ford have to come back with something, Dodge (or RAM as they are known now) will probably need to comeback with a small truck if they want to be competitive.
IMO, this is Ford's second significant lapse in product planning. Too bad, because I thought they really had it together.

While I think that most of us in the US agree it would be nice to see this in the US, what I think would be interesting would be to compare the size/weight/etc of this with what say a full size F150 was in 1996 (before we started getting even bigger and heavier). One of the arguements trotted out all the time is that the overseas rangers are 90% the size of the current F150, making it too little of a difference.

One only needs to look at the sales of "small" pickups in the US (and I use that term loosely). They are crushed by sales of full size trucks. Other than size, there isn't much reason to buy a downsized truck anymore - they get about the same fuel mileage as the big guys.

I purchased a new 1991 F150 2WD SuperCab Short Bed with a 5-speed, 4.9L six, an AM/FM radio, and what were the Ford equivalent of "Rally Wheels" for $9,999.00 + registration and title (about $100 back then). Seating for 5.

How many of those babies would they sell today?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back