Ford Fusion 6 speed auto drain and fill (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: JTK

Why add Lubegard?

for added protection I guess. People have been raving about it on here lately so why not? I may add a Magnefine this spring if I find an easy spot to install it on the return line.

I hear that. BITOG got me to try an additive or five over the years!

Joel

Last edited:
Moms car has the AW 6 speed so I got the correct fluid from a Ford dealer for about $6 per quart. I figured it was about time for a change because the car has almost 90,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
The Ford Branded ATF is around the 8 dollar mark from a dealer IIRC.
Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
I got the correct fluid from a Ford dealer for about $6 per quart.
It's always amazed me how dealers can charge such wildly different prices for the same product. The one time I checked at my local dealer they were asking $9.50/quart. Of course, they also asked $6.90/quart for Mercon V so they were obviously crooks to begin with.

I should have clarified that the prices I was quoting are from 2 years ago, the last time I tried to buy them from the local dealer. Now, those prices seem about right, but the dealer snuck out of town like a thief in the night about a year ago, after reassuring the town that they were here to stay. Left all the employees locked out in the parking lot the next morning...

Let's just simplify it, the dipstick on the car's trans says T-IV right on it. Go to the 'yota dealer and buy it for under $5 a quart.

Let's just simplify it, the dipstick on the car's trans says T-IV right on it. Go to the 'yota dealer and buy it for under $5 a quart.

+1. This is exactly what I did.

I don't know about the cooler lines that I see coming off my '09 Mazda6 3.7L V6, its an Aisin Warner as well. What I did want to comment on is that on my transmission, it is, at least for me, a 10mm hex on the drain; the Craftsman 3/8 bit I use is very snug.

I'll have to check with the local Toyota dealer next time for fluid; I went to my local Napa who go it through Worldpac for $5.60/qt. I bought a case of 12, but if the Toyota dealer has it for under $5 I'll buy another case through them. Local Mazda dealer want $8/qt for the 3309 equivalent in a Mazda bottle!! Even on a 7.5k mile run on the ATF, fluid looks dark and smells somewhat burnt, but of course, I'm only doing 3Qt drain and fills with each of my oil changes. Got the car with 29k on it and by the looks of the initial drain I did, the fluid was never changed. I've done three drain and fills of 3QT so far, and the transmission shifts noticeably better each time and fluid is getting clearer.

UPDATE: Car has a tick over 75K on it now and I think I am ready to drain and fill again with some MaxLife ATF before the snow starts falling. Will update with pics once done.

I didn't think Maxlife was the right type of fluid for the AW trans? On a side note, it might be a cool project to extract the gear oil from your AWD transfer case (PTU) and have that analyzed. Ford claims "lifetime" fill, but ive seen several examples of fluid with 100k on them and they look really bad. Should be standard 75w140 gear oil if im not mistaken.

The PTU is a major PITA to service, which is stupid, or else I would. As far s Maxlife, it is spec'd for T-IV fluid which this trans takes, and several others on here run Maxlife in the AW-F21 trans with spectacular results...

On this particular transmission Ford specs it as a "lifetime fill" also.
I bought my wife an '06 Mercury Milan new, and at almost 110,000mi. it has been completely trouble-free.

I change the oil, replaced the tires and brakes once, and I have not touched the transmission fluid. The car will more than likely be replaced within the next twelve months and I have no intention of servicing the trans, I'm going by the manual, right or wrong.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I'm going by the manual, right or wrong.
definitely wrong. This is BITOG remember...where we LIVE to change fluids!!!

Originally Posted By: JTK
Nice! Thanks for taking the time.

Why add Lubegard?

I have an Aisin Warner 5 speed and LGR helped the shifts smooth out but also remain crisp. LGR works well with sliplock transmissions (and just about every transmission)

The pitcher was a good idea! Might do that next time

$15.99 a gallon for a synthetic. around 8K miles

That's a great price. Where did you find it for that?

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back