Oil/ weight recommendations for 98 Saturn SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has 80K. I want to know a good oil for preventing/ controlling oil consumption, and especially what weight the saturn guys prefer to run. I have seen some people use 5w30, others 10w30 and 10w40. I would prefer to run 5w30, but is it better to use the heavier weight in these motors?

In my '95 SC1 (198K+ miles), I use 10W30 from October to March and 5W-30 from April to September. I am currently using Valvoline Synpower.

Hi Rachael,

I'm on my 2nd Saturn (1st one got totaled)and have tried several different oils and have monitored the usage with each.

- What is your usage rate per miles now & what are you running?

- SL1 or SL2?

The #1 thing to reduce oil consumption in these is to keep the RPM's below 3,000. As soon as I rev'd mine (and many other people's engine) up, the oil was disappearing, fast!

To help prevent & control oil consumption, you want a good stout oil with a high Flashpoint, HTHS, NOACK and stront additive pack. A oil with Moly, or add a Moly additive will also help. 5w-30 in the cold, 5w-30, 10w-30 or 5w-40 in the warm weather.

If you want conventional, use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, or similar.

I have fantastic results with Pennzoil Ultra as I have barely used 3-4 ounces of oil in 3,000 miles. A high mileage oil amy help also.Your results may vary.

Good luck, let us know what you do & what your consumption rate was vs. what is with your pick!!

My 96 Saturn SL2 (dual cam engine) used about a quart every 1000 miles when I purchased it at 36K. When I switched to Amsoil European Formula 5W-40 it hasn't used a drop between oil changes since then. It has 76K on it now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rachael
It has 80K. I want to know a good oil for preventing/ controlling oil consumption, and especially what weight the saturn guys prefer to run. I have seen some people use 5w30, others 10w30 and 10w40. I would prefer to run 5w30, but is it better to use the heavier weight in these motors?

I don't have a Saturn, but my 95 Nissan seems to really be enjoying the MaxLife version of NextGen I just put in it.

80k is impressive for a 98 car. Nice!

I've had or flipped nearly twenty of these cars. In summer they like a 15w40 diesel oil like rotella. Winter is harder, I usually wind up with any synthetic 5w30 that I found on sale over the previous year. I use the "long" purolator 20195 filter that fits a 1995 ford taurus 3.0. Gives more filtration and is easier to find crawling under the car next time.

I would prefer to run 5w30, but is it better to use the heavier weight in these motors?

No it is NOT better in any way to run any oil heavier the spec' 5W-30. If you're concerned about oil consumption use a 5W-30 synthetic bought on sale. That will keep the oil control rings clean which is the cause of oil consumption in Saturns.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
My 96 Saturn SL2 (dual cam engine) used about a quart every 1000 miles when I purchased it at 36K. When I switched to Amsoil European Formula 5W-40 it hasn't used a drop between oil changes since then. It has 76K on it now.

...okay just wanted to say: [censored].

^I mean really, where have you been!? This is an incredible statement with all of the Saturn's with oil consumption issues popping up on the Maintenance section. To HAVE consumption and not using oil between changes simply by running Amsoil's 5w-40 Euro-spec?

crazy2.gif

I must know more! How many oil changes on the Euro 5w-40 until consumption dropped? Miles/years?!

PS: Otherwise, I agree with tpitcher's post and add change it by 4,000 MAX or so even on full synthetic.

I would stick with 30-weight oils with the S-series engine. I also went through this exercise a few years ago when I decided to help my parents with their SL2s. See Saturn SL2 Oil Advice. Besides the oil ring issue, Saturns also need to keep the timing chain tensioner well lubricated and a lower viscosity oil will have higher flow to this area.

I've been using Esso XD-3 Extra 0W-30 in their '98 and '01 SL2s and so far oil consumption has been minimal.

^Chevy needs to read this thread. I'd be interested in him using either of the oils mentioned.

...but did your parent's SL2's have consumption issues before you changing them over?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

^I mean really, where have you been!? This is an incredible statement with all of the Saturn's with oil consumption issues popping up on the Maintenance section. To HAVE consumption and not using oil between changes simply by running Amsoil's 5w-40 Euro-spec?

crazy2.gif

I must know more! How many oil changes on the Euro 5w-40 until consumption dropped? Miles/years?!

PS: Otherwise, I agree with tpitcher's post and add change it by 4,000 MAX or so even on full synthetic.

Sorry it rattled your day, but it's 100% true! We inherited the car 4 years ago. It had 36K on it (14yrs old) and was literally driven maybe once a week by a little old lady. (my Mother in law). She kept it in good condition, dealer serviced except for the oil - quicklube or some such. When we first got it, the oil looked fresh so I didn't change it right away. After about 1k miles I had put about a qt in to top it off. Shortly there after I changed the oil and put Amsoil European Formula 5w-40 in. It kept using oil, albeit much less, till about 2K on the change. I've never put a drop of oil since, except once when the valve cover gasket started leaking. We've been driving it a lot, and hard and more than doubled the mileage in four years. I've done six oil changes with the Amsoil.

Hope this allays any fears!

My parents' Saturns were previously on bulk 5W-30 (Petro Canada Supreme, IIRC) supplied by the Saturn dealer with 5000 km OCIs. Neither car ever had appreciable oil consumption and I switched to the synthetic HDEO for a 10,000 km OCI because I expected it to be able to keep the ring grooves clean.

^These two posts should inspire hope for posters like tpitcher and chevyboy. One with an SL2 that has yet to develope consumption(low mileage) and the other which has high consumption already(even if it takes a re-ring, this inspires hope in the re-ring not simply turning into another consumption beast).

Thank you for your feedback and contribution.

My 99 SL2 has about 130k, has had 5w30 or 10w30 all its life. Mostly Valvoline synthetic or Mobil 1.
I have ran Mobil 1 High mileage lately, consumption was down a little, although my consumption is not to bad anyways.
I have thought about running Rotella 5w40 synthetic and I may try when I change the oil in the spring.

I do not own the car, it was my grandmother's but she can no longer drive. She is moving to live with my parents, and the car has sentimental value so they are going to keep it! I am not sure yet if it is an SL1 or SL2. I know very little about the car unfortunately, but the reason I am asking now with so little info is because I am going to visit my parents this weekend and change the oil. I won't be able to get the know the car before I change the oil so I wanted some suggestions
smile.gif

thanks everybody for all the input, it is MUCH MUCH appreciated! learned a lot, I was going to go with a conventional high mileage but am now leaning toward synthetic.

I have tried all kinds of things to reduce oil consumption. At a little over 200,000 miles I think I found a cheap way to reduce oil consumption on my Saturn. I installed a fixed orifice PCV Valve purchased at AutoZone for $2.99 plus tax. I no longer get the billows of smoke at full throttle getting up to highway speed. I am using less oil, but need more time to determine how much. Details here.

I put mine in today monkeyman, I hear the faint whistling noise but I don't have any smoke either. I also ran the [censored] out of it and then pulled the plugs there was no fresh oil on them.

I do not own the car, it was my grandmother's but she can no longer drive. She is moving to live with my parents, and the car has sentimental value so they are going to keep it! I am not sure yet if it is an SL1 or SL2. I know very little about the car unfortunately, but the reason I am asking now with so little info is because I am going to visit my parents this weekend and change the oil. I won't be able to get the know the car before I change the oil so I wanted some suggestions
smile.gif

thanks everybody for all the input, it is MUCH MUCH appreciated! learned a lot, I was going to go with a conventional high mileage but am now leaning toward synthetic.

Good for you, and are you an aspiring lady oil guru? +1,000,000!

You win. lol

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I have tried all kinds of things to reduce oil consumption. At a little over 200,000 miles I think I found a cheap way to reduce oil consumption on my Saturn. I installed a fixed orifice PCV Valve purchased at AutoZone for $2.99 plus tax. I no longer get the billows of smoke at full throttle getting up to highway speed. I am using less oil, but need more time to determine how much. Details here.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
I put mine in today monkeyman, I hear the faint whistling noise but I don't have any smoke either. I also ran the [censored] out of it and then pulled the plugs there was no fresh oil on them.

Read the Saturn thread, thanks for the link.

Interesting, keep us posted guys. I'd like to see what Amsoil's European 5w-40 would do in either of your cars, honestly, since the poster on page 1 of this thread got such nice results, albeit with less mileage.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

crazy2.gif

Sorry it rattled your day, but it's 100% true! We inherited the car 4 years ago. It had 36K on it (14yrs old) and was literally driven maybe once a week by a little old lady. (my Mother in law). She kept it in good condition, dealer serviced except for the oil - quicklube or some such. When we first got it, the oil looked fresh so I didn't change it right away. After about 1k miles I had put about a qt in to top it off. Shortly there after I changed the oil and put Amsoil European Formula 5w-40 in. It kept using oil, albeit much less, till about 2K on the change. I've never put a drop of oil since, except once when the valve cover gasket started leaking. We've been driving it a lot, and hard and more than doubled the mileage in four years. I've done six oil changes with the Amsoil.

Hope this allays any fears!

In the interest of full disclosure - yesterday I went out to check the oil levels of all my cars and lo and behold, the Saturn needed about 1/4 qt. top off
frown.gif
I've driven 1200 miles since the oil change on Jan 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back