r12freon questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
How do I check the pressure?

Use gauges like these, mine from the 80's

rg002.jpg

Your fine for now. Wait till it get in the 90's. Like others said don't screw w/it. Better know A/C, frostbite can happen

Last edited:
Where would I get the guages though. I noticed the line gets cold but when clutch kicks on it gets even colder and when you shut it off it makes the equalizing pressure noise. My Saturn doesn't cycle when it turns on its on. The truck is every 7-10 seconds . I may end up converting all the r12 stuff seems hard to get a hand on

Yes it is still cold. Why would it cycle every few seconds and the Saturn didn't do it in 3 minutes? I imagine the system is low. That's what I'm thinking. If I convert it I will do it myself. Will I need to drain the oil and put in new? Or just replace refrigerant?

Your over thinking it. My '89 Olds uses schaving (sp) extra gasses routed. Never cycles, always on. Don't use the modern for your older truck.

As too R12 I bought before the ban. Only used 15lb in 20 years. 3 R12 users. Wish I never had a garage sale of my R12 cans.. Only got $7 a piece back in 1998.

Its not legal to mess with R12 unless you are licensed. Here it has to be drained and disposed of.

No way to top it up at all or you get sent to jail...
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

No way to top it up at all or you get sent to jail...
spankme2.gif

Weird, R12 floats around... No One jailed!

Some applications do this. My 91 BMW got a refurb of its AC system, from R12 to 134a back in 04. It has been completely tight and the pressure is perfect. It cycles every 10-20 seconds, meaning that it is on for a while (longer than it is off), is off for 10-20 sec, then goes back on.

No negative issues.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
So its normal for it to cycle every 7-12 seconds? In 50 -60 degree weather.
Yes. Those temps are too cold to diagnose an AC system. It really needs to be over 80F for the pressures to be accurate.

If the suction line is cold all the way to the compressor it's good.

As I said before your Saturn uses a variable displacement compressor and an expansion valve. It does not cycle on and off. The compressor varies the amount of refrigerant it pumps.

In short it's smart enough to know. Your truck uses a fixed Orifice tube, a cycling switch and an antiquated R4 compressor. It will cycle on and off. It will cycle more with the fan on low.

Comparing the 2 cars AC systems is like comparing Apples tp tangerines.
Wait till it's atleast 80 degrees then report back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Some applications do this. My 91 BMW got a refurb of its AC system, from R12 to 134a back in 04. It has been completely tight and the pressure is perfect. It cycles every 10-20 seconds, meaning that it is on for a while (longer than it is off), is off for 10-20 sec, then goes back on.

No negative issues.
Backwards R12 was the cats meow!

Alright I'll wait to mess with it. And on the jail thing here's my outlook. I own my truck and ill do whatever I want to it and if the feds don't like it they need to do what they want me to do for free otherwise ill do it my own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back