General Evertrek HP = Altimax HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wanting Altimax HP's for one of my cars, but couldnt find them locally same-day and couldn't wait for new tires. I saw these at walmart (who lists Altimax on their website). They appear to be about the same but are called Evertrek HP. Are they just as good as the altimax?

The last place to buy any tire is Walmart, they don't have quality tires and their price is not good either. But, it is okay to buy tires online and have it installed at WM.

It may look identical on the outside, but if it's a tire developed solely for Wal-Mart, they cut corners somewhere.

Generally walmart get proprietary tires that they have negotiated prices on so as others have said they may have same tread but even the rubber compounds belting etc could be different. By the way I have the Altimax R/T and they have been fantastic tires.

If it makes it any better, the Evertrek models are sold at Canadian Tire as one of their exclusives. They aren't known to be as bad for cut corners as Walmart. These tires seem to be well liked here, though they may or may not be the same as the Altimax. Very hard to say with certainty.

Any further comments on the Evertrek HP? I have another car coming up for tires in
I like to get my tires from Sams Club, but they only carry Michelin, Goodyear, BFG and Dunlop.

Other high rated tires (by tire rack reviews)
Goodyear Assurance Comfortred
Hankook Optimo
Michelin Primacy MXV4

205/55R16 size currently Goodyear Eagle RSA

OK I think I'm giving up on the General tires. If I decide to splurge on Michelins with high mileage warranties, which do you recommend?

Michelin HydroEdge - P205/55R16 89T
90k mile warranty, $140 each

Michelin X Radial DT - P205/55R16 89T
80k Mile warranty, $125 each

What did you think of the RSAs? They are older technology and have a short tread life. I think the Eagle LS or the GT are better. It sounds like you are looking for a longlife tire that has a quiet and smooth ride. In that case, I'd suggest the Goodyear ComforTred. Michelin tires are all right but they are expensive and tend to ride firm, not that the ComforTred are inexpensive.

goodyear ( corp stores ) are running the Eagle LS and Eagle RS-A on sale this weekend in your size. Might wanna call and find out some prices. But I agree with mechanicx , I have GY CT and LOVE THEM ! Excellent grip , no loss in mpg and man they definitely are quite and ride nicely. Almost too soft for me , so I run about 3 PSI higher than spec on each corner. Hankook isnt really quite in the same league as Michelin and Goodyears imho.

And whatever you do , do NOT buy Falkiens. Worst waste of 500 bucks in my life.

You should also look into the New tripletred All Seasons , they have a rebate upto 160 off a set of four through goodyear credit card and 6 mnths no interest.

Last edited:
I'm not a Goodyear fan. I put TripleTred tires on the Volvo, it took seven to find four round ones, and they rode like bricks. My previous GY trailer tires weren't round, either. A friend with GY private label tires had one separation that took a fender off his truck.

I think everybody beats Wally & Sam's prices and tire quality. DiscountTire and Costco do, and I'd use Wally's prices to negotiate elsewhere.

I know you've decided to move away from General. But, yesterday I helped a friend install a trailer hitch on her 2011 VW Jetta wagon TDI. Had to remove the full size spare to get an arm of the hitch to install it. Guess what it was? Yes...General Evertrek HP. Apparently oem.

Michelin X are an old design. I'm surprised Michelin is still making them. I would try to check the date of manufacture on them. Come to think of it, Michelin might not make them anymore. They might be leftover from an old batch.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
OK I think I'm giving up on the General tires. If I decide to splurge on Michelins with high mileage warranties, which do you recommend?

Michelin HydroEdge - P205/55R16 89T
90k mile warranty, $140 each

Michelin X Radial DT - P205/55R16 89T
80k Mile warranty, $125 each

Last edited:
Try tires-easy.com.
They have Altimax HP and RT tires in most sizes, and their prices are the lowest I've found for these tires.
You'll get the tires within three to four days, which seems quick enough unless you've got four flats.
Around here, mounting and balancing along with new valve stems now runs no lower than $17.00 for each corner.
You may have either lower or higher prices locally to mount carry-in tires.
IMHO, the Altimax is the current hot tip in low priced tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back