2011 F-150-5.0 V8-Kendall GT-1, 8105 Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my second oil change on this unit. The IOLM was at 19% and I added 1.3 quarts at about 9000 miles.
Code:

Mileage 2285 10390

On Oil 2285 8105

Fe 26 23

Cr 0 0

Ni 0 1

Al 7 5

Cu 29 7

Pb 0 0

Sn 0 0

Cd 0 0

Ag 0 0

V 0 0

Si 39 21

Na 11 6

K 19 4

Ti 0 101

Mo 66 80

Sb 0 0

Mn 20 9

Li 0 0

B 139 82

Mg 9 14

Ca 1851 2402

Ba 1 0

P 669 745

Zn 708 810

Fuel dilut. 1.2
Soot
Water
Visc. 100C 7.6 7.5

Based on this, it looks like the oil is fine at 19% on the IOLM. In addition, it re-affirms the idea of doing the first change early. I noted that the Kendall has more additive at 8k than the factory fill did at 2200. Interesting since both are ConocoPhillips.

I will plan on running the next change out to 9,000 miles / 10% on the IOLM if the engine gets add oil. If I don't use a quart by 8,000 I'll change it then. The idea being that add oil replenishes the additives.

Nice! Is this a 5.0? I just sent off a uoa of motorcraft with 5000 miles on my ecoboost. I refilled with Gt1 full syn. Was this the blend or full sun?

Useful UOA, AITG. Enjoyed seeing that 2.2K UOA and noting how high the iron per mile was, and the high copper during break in. Everything dropped off nicely on the second one.

That is excellent. What an engine first of all, and this really shows the quality of Kendall GT-1 SynBlend. Who needs the synthetic after a showing like this?

I really hope the oil consumption is just the engtine settling in - 1.3 quarts in 8k is a lot on a brand-new engine!

Does this engine spec 5W-20. or 5W-30? If it's 5W-30, the oil shared a lot.

The 5.0 supposedly has hard rings and takes about 10k to dry up.

Either way, adding a quart of oil between changes adds a dose of fresh additives. Which is why I said I would go longer on the next drain if I added oil. Since this engine takes 7.7 quarts I always have that .3 quart to dump in ASAP.

The spec is 5W-20 - that's what I'm using. The engine has an oil cooler.

Last edited:
Very impressive. Wear has come down nicely with only one early dump/fill. Vis is right where one would expect. Probably too early to have any discernable "universal averages" for the engine across a wide market base yet.

8K miles and the IOLM shows it's fairly acurate with 19% left. The oil could go a bit further, so the IOLM must be calibrated fairly well. Of course, the nearly two gallon sump must be helping, too.

Yet another stab at the heart of the "short OCIs are cheap insurance" comments. One could OCI this at 3k or 5k miles, but what a total waste that would be.

I've read a few nice things about this engine, but would like to hear from a few "real world" experiences on the power for towing, etc. I like the EcoBoost, but this little cammer engine intrigues me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Probably too early to have any discernable "universal averages" for the engine across a wide market base yet.

I've read a few nice things about this engine, but would like to hear from a few "real world" experiences on the power for towing, etc. I like the EcoBoost, but this little cammer engine intrigues me.

I use Polaris for analysis and they don't routinely print out the "universal averages". Other than the iron, most other metals in the sample are virtually zero.

I drive CVPIs at work and I think that this engine is as strong up to 50 mph. or so. I am amazed at the low end power for a small displacement engine in a 6,000 lb. truck. Time will tell how well the sprayed in cylinder walls hold up.

Baloney on the hard rings. Two 5.0's are well known to me and don't use a drop of oil. One of them I see every weekend and it's tight and right, runs VERY sweetly. Probably this one had too easy of a break in.

If anything it's the liner they add, not the rings. But regardless, that is far from what I consider acceptable oil consumption in a brand new engine.

Last edited:
I posted the results for others to see the UOA.

Since I'm the truck owner and I'm not unhappy with the oil consumption I suggest you not buy my truck from me. That should make both of us happy.

Lots of reports of f150 5.0's using oil early in their life. Also lots of reports of it clearing up by 10k miles or so. I have also read that a good bit of the oil is going through the pcv system. Many people have put catch cans on the 5.0 and have collected a good bit of oil that way.

Here is a repost image from f150forum. reportedly this is from 5k miles. So my gut is there is really no oil "burning issue"

oilsc.jpg

Originally Posted By: AITG
I posted the results for others to see the UOA.

Since I'm the truck owner and I'm not unhappy with the oil consumption I suggest you not buy my truck from me. That should make both of us happy.

Bravo.

Completely in agreement!

I love that additive package in Kendall GT-1. Beleive this syn blend oil is also around 50% Group III. Nice UOA.

What's 'nice' is if you need an oil change on the go, a lot of tire stores offer oil changes with the full lineup of Kendall GT-1 oils. One reason I've 'left' it to my parents to change their vehicles oils when I'm not around b/c they can get a solid lube(though lame oil filter) at places like Tires Plus/Bridgestone Tires, etc etc...depends on your region perhaps.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan
Lots of reports of f150 5.0's using oil early in their life. Also lots of reports of it clearing up by 10k miles or so. I have also read that a good bit of the oil is going through the pcv system. Many people have put catch cans on the 5.0 and have collected a good bit of oil that way.

Oh, there goes the top oil. My new honda ate a 1/2 qt of 0w20 Idemitsu in 2 weeks after OCI #1 at 3k. Then it was OK. 1 qt over an OCI in a truck - thats nothing.

Last edited:
Nice report! I don't think the oil use is much of an issue at this point, it should consume less as the miles accumulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back