Bosal vs. Walker Cat Converter - Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a used 2000 Honda CRV in very nice condition. Runs very well but it just threw a P0420 code - bad cat. Any preference between Walker and Bosal for replacement catalytic converters? Thanks.

Walker, i had a honda accord, the cat also went out but since i live in california i had to get a magnaflow, in my opinion there all the same

just been through it. The ECU is programmed to throw a P0420 when the upstream and downstream o2s don't differ that much in regards to emissions...More than likely the cat is 90% good. You may see the light again in short order if you use a performance cat or a cheap aftermarket cat with a different media because of the ECU pre-programmed expectations for emissions. I fixed mine for $5 bucks with this spark plug anti-fouler What to do...Take the downstream/rear o2 off. Drill out the end of the non-fouler with a 1/2" drill. makes room for the o2 sensor tip to Screw in to the fouler. Put the rear/downstream o2 back on with the fouler over the sensor. Boom lights out in a day. Your welcome.

140k. Good idea on the O2 sensor(s). I may "shotgun" it and do them all at the same time.

Do both sensors first - youll want to regardless.

Beware of aftermarket cats, only buy OE or EPA/CARB certified. Aftermarket ones have poorer conversion new than most spent converters do at end of life. BTDT.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=486937

steeringx001zx2.jpg

Example

Last edited:
UberxG - yup, thats it!

JZiggy - if your mechanical you can take the front manifold cat off and clean it, dunk it overnight in laundry detergent then blast the thing out with engine degreaser and power spray at one of those car wash spray booths. That works too, but the anti-foulers easy. But you do have to ask why? Likely answer - oil consumption. Get that resolved.

Releating to which brand of converter to buy I would choose the Bosal because they are an OEM for many brands especially German/European car makers. They are not a well known name in the USA but they are a huge company and are very well known in Europe they also make OEM exhausts and custom exhausts as well. Very high quality stuff.

If they do not do E-testing in Georgia, you could always get a test pipe and O2 simulator...
wink.gif

Or you can pick up high.flow metallic cats (100/120/200 cell) for as little as $85.

I feel so stupid for having spent so much on a pair of Fabspeed 100cell Metallic cats... Especially since I just decided that it wasn't worth the hassle and only used them a couple times.

A bottle of Gumout Regane High-mileage, some throttle body cleaner while running, and an Italian tune-up made a p0420 code go away in my 04 civic. I would try this first, spark plug non-fouler second, downstream o2 sensor third and new cat forth.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
A bottle of Gumout Regane High-mileage, some throttle body cleaner while running, and an Italian tune-up made a p0420 code go away in my 04 civic. I would try this first, spark plug non-fouler second, downstream o2 sensor third and new cat forth.

I agree, simple cheap things first.

Nice post.

Good thoughts everyone. I went ahead and purchased an upstream Denso O2 sensor (only about $40, the downstream is like $80!) just for the sake of preventative maintenance.

Trav, thanks for the comment about converter brands. I found a direct-fit Eastern cat for $155 shipped. I'll go this route as a last resort, especially as you seem to prefer this brand to Bosal or Walker.

I'm going to pick up some Amsoil ATF for the CR-V, and will grab some of the PI injector/top end cleaner to see if that helps anything. Good idea on the throttle body cleaner, but I'm not sure I see how that would affect the cat exactly?

I also got a non-fouler to use with the downstream O2 sensor. I'll probably put that in this afternoon.

^Well, the Pi additive is for the fuel system. Top-end cleaner would be along the lines of their Power Foam, AC Delco CCC or Mopar CCC(c.d.j. dealerships parts department), but if your app has a MAF it's harder to use(not impossible).

The idea would be to get any excess carbon out of the way now before the new sensors and this can help with idling/firing, etc if there is enough crud to foul up the combustion chamber or fuel delivery system.

I installed the nonfouler yesterday on the downstream O2 sensor. So far the code has not come back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back