*New* Purolator Synthetic Filter *Pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PSL looks like it doesn't really have that much media area vs the Bosch. How many pleats, and what's the depth and lenght of the pleats? Knowing those numbers, you can calculate the media surface area pretty closely.

Thanks for cutting open a PSL.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The PSL looks like it doesn't really have that much media area vs the Bosch. How many pleats, and what's the depth and lenght of the pleats? Knowing those numbers, you can calculate the media surface area pretty closely.

thumbsup2.gif

I should add the pics are on a free account so if they disappear, you will have to wait until the bandwidth resets.

The Cellulose Bosch/PureOne has ~63cm2 more surface area then the synthetic PSL. However for comparisons sake and to give a reference to other manufactures filter for this application(Subaru):

Cellulose filters:
Honeywell/Subaru 152208AA12A = 473.7cm2
Wix/Napa Gold 57712/7712 = 303.4cm2
Fram Extra Guard PH6607 = 375.01cm2
Fram Tough Guard = 459.26cm2
Purolator L14612/PL14612 = 583.13cm2
Bosch 3300 = 583.13cm2

Synthetic filters:
Fram Extended Guard XG6607 = 323.14cm2(Dual layer cellulose and Synthetic)
Mobil1 M-108 = 404.04cm2
Royal Purple 10-2876 = 248.64cm2
K&N HP-1008 = 364.08cm2
Napa Platinum 41365 = 343.14cm2

Bosch D3300

Specs:

OD:
68.32mm
Length: 74.42mm
Thread: M20x1.5, Roll-formed
Spring type: Stamped leaf
Bypass Valve: 14-18 PSID, Integrated in the end cap on the dome end
Anti Drain Back Valve: Yes, Silicone
Media type: Paper and synthetic blend
Media Surface area: 583.13cm2
Beta Ratio: Unknown
Flow Rate:
Unknown
Gasket style:
Square ring
Oil inlet hole/s area: Eight 4.5mm holes. 127.24mm2.
End caps: Metal
Can side thickness: .355mm

Purolator PSL14612

Specs:

OD:
68.32mm
Media type: Synthetic
Media Surface area: 519.48cm2
Beta Ratio: 100@25 (99.0% @ 25 microns)
Flow Rate: Unknown
Gasket style:
Square ring

Even at the ~63cm2 loss to the D3300/PL14612 the 100% synthetic PSL14612 is still ahead of the OEM and well ahead of many aftermarkets.

Last edited:
Nice info. Where are you getting all this info showing the media area?

Some are direct from the manufacture, email/phone call can get you a lot some times. Others, I have spent some cash on here and there and some have been donated for the purpose of cutting virgin filters and are as measured. As time goes on the list gets longer.

SubaruForester.org Subaru oil filter comparison
Media measurements are not exact and I don't claim them to be, but from past experience pleat depth + fold width X 2 X media height X # of pleats gets you darn close to the actual manufactures spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flstffxe

Some are direct from the manufacture, email/phone call can get you a lot some times. Others, I have spent some cash on here and there and some have been donated for the purpose of cutting virgin filters and are as measured. As time goes on the list gets longer.

SubaruForester.org Subaru oil filter comparison
Media measurements are not exact and I don't claim them to be, but from past experience pleat depth + fold width X 2 X media height X # of pleats gets you darn close to the actual manufactures spec.

Nice work!
thumbsup2.gif

Wow, thanks taking one for the group on the PSL. Still, not sure a direct media area comparison to cellulose/blend filter is correlative?

In any case, the PSL looks well made. Solid efficiency rating imo.

Thanks for the comparison pics.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Wow, thanks taking one for the group on the PSL. Still, not sure a direct media area comparison to cellulose/blend filter is correlative?

I for one don't think it is, Synthetics have much more 3D surface area that you can't measure. However it can be used to compare synthetic to synthetic.

Thanks for the post flstffxe!

I just picked up a 04 Forester XT just yesterday, so I'm glad to see the PSL14612 opened.

As these filters are geared for extended drains, what is your opinion on Subaru's recommendations for short change intervals due to the oil line filters?

Just my personal opinion but many many people have been running PureOne filters to 5-7K+ already. I am not sure there is a "need" for the PSL, The P1 has a slightly higher efficiency over the PSL. However, it fills a marketing void.

As long as the filter is not going into bypass on cold starts, at high rpm or towards the end of the OCI, the turbo supply screens should remain clean and unobstructed. The oil filter is a much finer filter then those screens are and the screen are downstream of the filter.

This is one of my concerns with the low bypass pressure on many aftermarket filters speced for Subaru applications. My personal thought is Subaru specs the high bypass pressure because the oil pump has the ability to overrun the filters flow rate and it is Subarus method of reducing debris laden unfiltered oil from making it to the rest of the oil system downstream. Increase the bypass PSID of the filter you prolong the time before it goes into bypass.

That being said the Purolator/bosch filters have about 100cm2 more media then the OEM filters. Which should allow more flow through the media lowering the pressure differential thus lowering the required 23PSID bypass valve rating.

I for one don't think it is, Synthetics have much more 3D surface area that you can't measure. However it can be used to compare synthetic to synthetic.

Yes, I agree ... I don't think it's a one-to-one required area comparison between paper media vs. full synthetic media to obtain the same filtering performance and/or debris holding capacity.

So I'm confused... again.
confused2.gif

I was thinking this new Purolator synthetic-media filter was comparable to the Bosch Distance Plus. But the latter has regular media, so I'm back to being confused about the differences between the Bosch Distance Plus, Purolator PureONE, Bosch Premium, and Purolator Classic. It doesn't seem that they're the same filter with different brands on them. Rather it seems like four incremental steps in quality/performance. I know all this has been discussed before, so I'm sorry to beat a dead horse.

Quote:
.....I was thinking this new Purolator synthetic-media filter was comparable to the Bosch Distance Plus. But the latter has regular media, so I'm back to being confused about the differences between the Bosch Distance Plus, Purolator PureONE, Bosch Premium, and Purolator Classic.

Difference between BD+ and new PSL is explained here. Media, BD+ = syn blend, PSL = full synthetic mesh backed. Both have 2x+ (27-29g) the advertised holding capacity of P1/BDP, BD+ also advertises a thicker can than P1. So, BD+ and PSL are advertised extended oci filters, just accomplished differently.

Based on river_rat's Bench tests, P1 and BDP are clones, good/close enough for me. And the Classic is lone nitrile adbv filter of the bunch.

Quote:
.....I was thinking this new Purolator synthetic-media filter was comparable to the Bosch Distance Plus. But the latter has regular media, so I'm back to being confused about the differences between the Bosch Distance Plus, Purolator PureONE, Bosch Premium, and Purolator Classic.

Difference between BD+ and new PSL is explained here. Media, BD+ = syn blend, PSL = full synthetic mesh backed. Both have 2x+ (27-29g) the advertised holding capacity of P1/BDP, BD+ also advertises a thicker can than P1. So, BD+ and PSL are advertised extended oci filters, just accomplished differently.

Based on river_rat's Bench tests, P1 and BDP are clones, good/close enough for me. And the Classic is lone nitrile adbv filter of the bunch.

Where does the Bosch Premium fit in there? I recently cut open a PureONE PL14610 and a Bosch Premium 3323. The construction was essentially identical and the media measured the same.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Quote:

Where does the Bosch Premium fit in there? I recently cut open a PureONE PL14610 and a Bosch Premium 3323. The construction was essentially identical and the media measured the same.

My bad, where it says BDP, should say BP for Bosch Prem., didn't proof read it. Yeah, P1=BP.

Is anyone else experiencing start up clatter with the Pure One? I use this PL25288 (PureOne) on my 02 silverado with the 5.3 and never had any issues but this past oil change and now with only 2k miles on the oil and filter, when I went to start it up this morning it clattered like there wasn't any oil on the system. I didn't notice my oil pressure gauge at the time. I will when I go to start it tomorrow. I just find it odd that all of a sudden it started doing this. Terry Dyson informed me that several others are getting the same start up noise. Makes me wonder what is going on with the PO's now.

Based on this, I may go to using Purolator Synthetic filters after I use my stash of Bosch D+ filters.

Yes, Bosch Premium and P1 are essentially the same filters, whilst the Purolator Synthetic and a Bosch Distance Plus are varying 'extended OCI' filters exclusively.

99% at 25 micron is very good for the new Purolator Synthetic and I doubt the Bosch D+ gets better, but I haven't heard many specifics on it's efficiency?

Can't believe Purolator didn't use the silicone base gasket on the synthetic filter.
'

I looked for info on the PureOne silicone base gasket and this is all I found from their website.

PTFE treated sealing gasket for easy installation and removal.

thumbsup2.gif

I should add the pics are on a free account so if they disappear, you will have to wait until the bandwidth resets.

The Cellulose Bosch/PureOne has ~63cm2 more surface area then the synthetic PSL. However for comparisons sake and to give a reference to other manufactures filter for this application(Subaru):

Cellulose filters:
Honeywell/Subaru 152208AA12A = 473.7cm2
Wix/Napa Gold 57712/7712 = 303.4cm2
Fram Extra Guard PH6607 = 375.01cm2
Fram Tough Guard = 459.26cm2
Purolator L14612/PL14612 = 583.13cm2
Bosch 3300 = 583.13cm2

Synthetic filters:
Fram Extended Guard XG6607 = 323.14cm2(Dual layer cellulose and Synthetic)
Mobil1 M-108 = 404.04cm2
Royal Purple 10-2876 = 248.64cm2
K&N HP-1008 = 364.08cm2
Napa Platinum 41365 = 343.14cm2

Bosch D3300

Specs:

OD:
68.32mm
Media type: Paper and synthetic blend
Media Surface area: 583.13cm2
Beta Ratio: Unknown
Flow Rate:
Unknown
Gasket style:
Square ring

Purolator PSL14612

Specs:

OD:
68.32mm
Media type: Synthetic
Media Surface area: 519.48cm2
Beta Ratio: 100@25 (99.0% @ 25 microns)
Flow Rate: Unknown
Gasket style:
Square ring

Even at the ~63cm2 loss to the D3300/PL14612 the 100% synthetic PSL14612 is still ahead of the OEM and well ahead of many aftermarkets.

Interesting information, to bad some of it is not correct. The extended guard is not a paper then synthetic media, it is two layers of synthetic media. Plus what they call synthetic filters is not correct as well.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Can't believe Purolator didn't use the silicone base gasket on the synthetic filter.
'

I looked for info on the PureOne silicone base gasket and this is all I found from their website.

PTFE treated sealing gasket for easy installation and removal.

I guess I assumed it was some kind of silicon material based on the red-ish color. It could still be silicon material with Teflon treatment also. Don't know for sure.

Even though the PSL say it has a "premium nitrile" gasket,
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

I'm just surprised they didn't use the same one that's used on the PureOne filter.

The Classic even says it has a lubricated nitrile gasket.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/purolatoroilfilters.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back