How to Maintain Your Soviet T-34 Main Battle Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.allworldwars.com/T-34 Tank Service Manual.html

Quote:
ENGINE LUBRICATION SYSTEM
For the lubrication of the engine, "Avia" Oil MK and M3 is used in the summer and M3L in the winter.

The lubrication system (Plate 17) consists of two oil radiator tanks 3, oil pump 1, oil filter 2, pressure gauge 13, two thermometers 11 and 12, and a compensating tank 9. In the latest models, oil tanks are not in the form of radiators (i.e. without cooling fins), and the change-over cock is not fitted.

Construction of Lubrication System The oil radiator tanks These are situated in the engine compartment at the sides. Their inner surfaces (facing the engine) are fitted with laminated fins (or radiator sections) where possible. The full capacity of each tank is 57 litres. The minimum possible quantity of oil is 10 -15 litres. A dipstick is provided and is inserted in the filler plug in the oil tank. In the bottom part of the tank there is an oil filter. At the base of the filter there is a threaded drain plug 7. To remove the oil from the tank this plug should be unscrewed two or three turns - it is not necessary to unscrew it completely - and the oil will flow from the opening. The inside of the plug is adapted to take a hose for draining the oil into a vessel. The filler has a mesh filter. The top of the tank has a change-over cock the handle of which has three positions:

1. Forwards (towards the front of the vehicle) - oil can be forced directly by the pump through the cock into the tank. 2. Backwards - radiator on. The oil is cooled to air temperature as it flows through the radiator fins and it passes into the oil tank to be taken up again into the engine. 3. To the side - the tank and radiator are shut off.

When the engine is running the handles of the change-over cocks 5 (Plate 17) of both tanks (those which have radiators) must either be in the position "HA BAKN" (to tank) or "HA PADNATOR" (to radiator), it is forbidden to leave the handle pointing to the side.

The junction tube 10 serves to connect both tanks to the crankcase and also to drain off oil and foam when the tanks are overfull.

The oil pump which is fixed to the crankcase bottom half serves to force oil under pressure to the engine and to scavenge the used oil.

I wonder what weights the various Avia oils were...

was that translated directly from current N.Korean manuals?
lol.gif

I am sure that some modern oil is applicable to this tank. But I do not think that any are driven these days; are not all the surviving examples in museums? I don't think any modern military uses them. They were great WWII tanks but there is a different world these days.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
I am sure that some modern oil is applicable to this tank.

I'm guessing 15W-40 would do nicely, although I hear they tend to be leaky sometimes...

Quote:
But I do not think that any are driven these days; are not all the surviving examples in museums?

Is that a joke?
laugh.gif

I think you're confusing it with the far more elusive German panzers from WWII. It's probably one of the most numerous WWII battle tanks left and I'm pretty sure you could buy one if you had the money and time. In any case, the "Tiger tank" in Saving Private Ryan was actually a mock-up based on a T-34 chassis.

Here's a link to one in Finland..

Quote:
I don't think any modern military uses them. They were great WWII tanks but there is a different world these days.

Some are in reserve, or even active, service in some third world armies, though probably not in North Korea. A few were used in the 1990s in the Balkan wars, sometimes as a last ditch tank, and many converted to other vehicles such as mobile anti-aircraft guns that Yugoslavia had based on the chassis.

Last edited:
Heavens no! Vodka is far too valuable to be wasted like that!
Allisons in P-38's did dilute their oil with a gallon of Av gas for winter starting ,which evaporated away in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back