Mobil Super Synthetic - Any Info or UOA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello:

Well, Mobil Super Synthetic has been available for over a year and I still cannot find much information about it. Here is the product data sheet:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_Super_Synthetic.aspx

I did a search both on this website and using google and I cannot find much. Are there any UOA's? VOA's? Experiences? Opinions? Links that I couldn't find? Butt Dyno tests? Thanks in advance.

I talked to the Mobil rep and I couldn't get a straight answer out of him (cuz he didn't know either).
All he said was it's synthetic but not a superior synthetic like mobil 1.

I am using mobil synthetic on my best friend's 02 Altima 4cyl, has 120k on a new motor. I always used Mobil clean 7500 which was a semi synthetic. the motor would burn a quart about every 1500 miles.
with the mobil synthetic, it's up to 3200 miles and the level is still full.
I can't say for certain what's going on or if it's the oil at work.. but I'm gonna continue with it and see what it can do.

This oil is confusing to me.

It does make sense for doing a friend's oil change as the few extra dollars is likely worth it to them. Plus, you were spot on because this product is truly what replaced the 7500.

I am only confused by it because any synthetic fan could probably find the Mobil 1 for not much more, if not the same during rebate time and know it's Mobil 1.

I just don't think many who choose this product are at our site.

This product probably sells a lot to people who walk into a store and look for a nice bottle, or for a synthetic Mobil and don't even mentally think about it not being Mobil 1. Again, not really sure, this product doesn't make much sense.

It just gives Mobil a cheaper synthetic.

I apologize for all this when you asked a simple question, UOA or VOA. I'd love to see one someday too. I just had to share how I find it an odd product.

If I were to venture a guess, I think Mobil is trying to offer a synthetic (group III) to compete with either Quaker State synthetic or Shell sythetic (both SOPUS products). Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the product correlate roughtly like this:
Mobil 1 EP = Pennzoil Ultra
Mobil 1 (regular) = Pennzoil Platinum
Mobil Super Synthetic = QSUD/Shell Synthetic
Mobil Super 5000 = PBY/QSAD green bottle
Mobil Special = Formula Shell

However, this still doesn't tell me much. Please let me know if any of you find any specific info as mentioned in my previous post. Thank you again.

Originally Posted By: z917990
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the product correlate roughtly like this:

Oh no...

With a list matching up like that, there is only one place this is thread is going....
36.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't give much information on MSS except to say in this area it's a virtually non existent oil offering since it's intro. Where it is available, like AAP, it's in quarts only and relatively overpriced at ~$6+. Reminds me of the discontinued MC7500 syn blend which was also scarce and overpriced when available.

For me, with QSUD readily available in jugs at Wally at a great price, and meeting more certs than MSS, no need to chase MSS. But, that's just me.

8. What’s the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil Super Synthetic?
Mobil 1 is part of our ultimate line of advanced full synthetics. It uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies that provide superior protection, and outperforms Mobil Super Synthetic. It meets both GM’s stringent dexos1™* and Europe’s ACEA performance standards. More car builders recommend Mobil 1 by name than any other motor oil brand in the world. More NASCAR® drivers use Mobil 1 than any other motor oil brands. Mobil 1 has provided exceptional performance throughout its nearly 40-year history and stands alone as The World’s Leading Synthetic Motor Oil Brand.

Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils. It outperforms our conventional and synthetic blend products. It meets or exceeds the latest industry requirements, GF-5 /API SN. The product offers performance consistent with many synthetics in the market.

See our Product Comparison Chart for more details. >>back to top
*The dexos1™ specification only applies to 5W-30 viscosity, which is required in GM vehicles.

9. Why do you offer customers more than one synthetic choice?
A variety of synthetic product technologies exist, and we recognize that consumers have different needs. That’s why we now offer a wider range of synthetic product technologies.

Mobil 1, our line of advanced full synthetics, uses the latest in additive and base oil technologies for ultimate performance and protection. Mobil Super Synthetic is a full synthetic that uses synthetic-base oils and provides performance consistent with many synthetics in the market.

If I were to venture a guess, I think Mobil is trying to offer a synthetic (group III) to compete with either Quaker State synthetic or Shell sythetic (both SOPUS products). Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the product correlate roughtly like this:

However, this still doesn't tell me much. Please let me know if any of you find any specific info as mentioned in my previous post. Thank you again.

This is my take on it too.
For ~$20.00/jug, though, QSUD looks to be a better oil than MSS.
QSUD has moly, which MSS lacks, and more of every other additive, except sodium, used in MSS but not in SOPUS oils. QSUD also has considerably higher starting TBN than MSS.
To the informed user, MSS as currently formulated seems like a pretty weak answer to QSUD, especially since you can buy M1 for only a few bucks more per jug.

When I worked with XOM (up until 5/11) we were always told the purpose of this oil is for consumers who are getting into new cars in 2011+. 14 out of the 20 selling cars in the US, many are economy cars (Camry, Corolla, Cobalt etc) and all come from the factory with synthetic as a factory/in service fill. Be that many of these people who buy these cars are used to paying $29.99 or the cheapest oil change they can find, are going to be shocked by the cost of ownership and the cost of a premium synthetic oil change ($70+). Mobil SS and others like it are targeted for those consumers and give them an opportunity to save some money as they have an option now. In XOM's eyes, M1 users will stay loyal to it regardless of cost and again are a step ahead of the industry. With a 50%+ market share in synthetics and Mobil being the most recognized premium product by the average consumer, it just makes sense to offer an entry level synthetic by the leader in synthetics.

Last edited:
Should we read anything into the fact that you worked for XOM not long ago but use Shell products in all your cars?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Should we read anything into the fact that you worked for XOM not long ago but use Shell products in all your cars?
smile.gif

Haha no... Great products, just moved on to another company, don't know which one that could be
wink.gif

I'm not a Corvette driver but I always look for the GM4718m approval. QSUD has it. The Mobil Super Syn doesn't. Either they didn't choose to pay to get it or the Super Syn must be a bottom level syn.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I'm not a Corvette driver but I always look for the GM4718m approval. QSUD has it. The Mobil Super Syn doesn't. Either they didn't choose to pay to get it or the Super Syn must be a bottom level syn.

Why would they bother getting SS approved if M1 has the approval and factory fill in the Vette? I wouldn't say SS is 'bottom' level, it's a good oil for a good price. It is not marketed nor meant to meet a vast amount of engine approvals.

Yes, Mobil said as much; Super Syn is not supposed to compete with M1. Regarding its comparison to QSUD, I was only referring to a rough marketing correlation. QSUD does have a proven track record and is an outstanding oil. Around my parts, however, Super Syn is frequently on sale at the local Farm and Fleet for $3.99 per quart, while QSUD is hardly ever found for that price. If I could find QSUD for 3.99 per quart (I realize that Chinamart has 5 quart jugs for around 22.00 but I don't like 5 quart jugs and I don't like Chinamart), I would snatch QSUD in a heartbeat. Is there anyone else who has any experiences or information, please? Thank you.

Quote:
..... If I could find QSUD for 3.99 per quart (I realize that Chinamart has 5 quart jugs for around 22.00 but I don't like 5 quart jugs and I don't like Chinamart), I would snatch QSUD in a heartbeat....

Well, there you have it. No jugs, and no wally price pretty much eliminates QSUD for you.

Currently in these parts, QSUD ~$1 cheaper a jug at ~$20.50 than Super Tech Syn, and there's currently a $20 SOPUS rebate. MSS, not close.

I wish Mobil sold their lower-cost synthetic in Canada.

With the price of oil here, even a slightly lower-priced option would sell....

Yes, Mobil said as much; Super Syn is not supposed to compete with M1. Regarding its comparison to QSUD, I was only referring to a rough marketing correlation. QSUD does have a proven track record and is an outstanding oil. Around my parts, however, Super Syn is frequently on sale at the local Farm and Fleet for $3.99 per quart, while QSUD is hardly ever found for that price. If I could find QSUD for 3.99 per quart (I realize that Chinamart has 5 quart jugs for around 22.00 but I don't like 5 quart jugs and I don't like Chinamart), I would snatch QSUD in a heartbeat. Is there anyone else who has any experiences or information, please? Thank you.
QSUD is on sale right now at Advance Auto Parts for $3.99 a QT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back