Best sample method with oil extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best way to take a sample for UOA when using an oil extractor?

I've been using an extractor for years, and I usually run the engine for a minute or two, just to stir things up. Then I let it sit for a couple minutes and let oil run back down to the drain pan and then suck it out. But I haven't been doing UOA.

I think Blackstone suggests not running the car for a short period because it could add fuel dilution to your sample. So do you just do it cold, or can you run the car for a while longer and do it hot? I've always been afraid to stick that plastic tube into a hot engine, worried it might melt. Is that a valid concern, or is it a high-temp plastic? I'm using an Oil Boy for extraction btw, in a '09 VW GTI.

Once I figure out hot or cold, I guess I can just suck out all the oil, then pour a little oil from the Oil Boy reservoir into my sample container. Is that how y'all do it?

Thanks!

You MUST use new/unused oil tubing and anything else that comes into contact with the oil. The pumps sold for sampling use new tubing for each sample and the way its constructed the oil never touches any part of the pump. The plastic sample container needs to be new/unused also.

The pumps are not that expensive, and you will never know for sure what the true UOA is if you contaminate the sample.

I use my sample pump mainly for transmission sampling.

Id buy a sample pump, flush the line once or twice, then take the sample.

The analytical methods used aren't good enough to discern the ppb or ppt difference some slight remainder residue would put into the sample volume.

The original question is hot vs. cold.....Blackstone recommends "warmed up" engine oil sampling.....last sampling I took, I took a drive to and from the store for grocery getting, got home, unpacked the groceries, then got out my MixMizer Pump and had at it, through the dipstick tube
wink.gif

That link/post is quite lengthy with commentary though but I basically used the mixmizer, an ice maker kit, and a pliers to crimp off a length of the ice maker tubing.....I basically gave my self "twice" the length of the dipstick length....and of course, made a sharpie mark at the end of the dipstick, so I'd know roughly where/when the tube "hit oil"

Took maybe 2-4 pumps to fill the Blackstone test container
smile.gif

And yes, the sample Is still sitting on the shelf :X haha.

But yea, the biggest problem seems to be the oil within the pump....the oil has complete contact with the syringe, tubing, etc.....so the "pros" may not like this approach :p Since you're sort of "cross contaminating" the oil sample, if there were left over residue left in the pump.....but really, how much can be left????? After soaked in gasoline for 5 minutes, blown dry with compressed air, then washed with simple green and water.....? Really? That big of a deal to worry about? I'm not "fretting" over it really....hehe. I do know, the syringe will be "dry" and not "smell" of gasoline at least, next time I use it
wink.gif
Since I essentially let it "hang dry" and "air out" after the simple green route...only thing I replace is the ice maker tubing.

Thanks!

I would have just poured a sample from my reservoir (which has held diesel oil for the last 9 years) and probably got some screwy results if I hadn't asked here first.

I used the MixMizer and it worked perfectly. And the oil definitely pumps faster when it's warm!

Definitely want it warm....like B-S states on their site, a proper running engine is "warm" so you want your sample to be taken during an accurate run of the engine.

I'd definitely run it longer than 3 minutes in the drive way....maybe to the store and back, then test it in the drive way.

The only bad thing about the mixmizer, is that you're basically only good for 1 UOA :p If you ask the "pros" anyways.....since the Mixmizer is now "contaminated" with the used oil....

Then again, I've had the thought of dousing/soaking it in gasoline or some such (Purple Power, etc....?) after a good gasoline soaking..to dry out...surely the remnants of oil contaminants would be gone then.....? And well, my theory is, the MixMizer is MADE specifically for gasoline/oil mixing/measurements.....so it shouldn't necessarily "harm" the mixMizer in any way....

But yea, gotta admit the Oil Analyzers, Inc. vacuum pump is great
wink.gif

Moreover, I like the soap/shampoo dispenser pump idea too.....in fact Walmart used to SELL the shampoo pumps by the shampoo aisle...but mine no longer does :p But that's a neat idea too....using a cleaned up/out shampoo pump (large pump = bigger vacuum).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back