2012 Honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 2012 Honda Odyssey and wondered if I should go fully synthetic or a blend? I run Amsoil Fully synthetic in my 2007 Mustang GT but not sure what to use in the van. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: Brons2
the more important choice will be, what fluid do you put in the transmission?

Leave the Honda juice in there, it'll be fine.

OP, based on the MM "Maintenance Minder" system in the newer Honda's, they require synthetic (which is what the Original oil / spec is)

If you choose to follow the MM, which i recommend as it'll save you money on maintenance as well as time, use a quality synthetic and go the distance.

Use Amsoil OE, XL, or the SS line of oils if you want. Conventional just isn't a good idea in a 40k van (depending on which model you bought)

With the exception of black-bottle 0W20 synthetic blend from Honda, most 0W20 oils are full synthetic.

Honda transmissions are not lemons like they used to be. Using the DW-1 fluid should be fine.

Slightly off-topic, but I drained the factory fill 0w20 from my friend's 2012 Civic at 6200 miles. The Maint Minder still showed 40% left. I refilled with Toyota 0w20 and a OE filter.

Last edited:
My 2011 Accord VCM V6 has the same engine. I ran it to 10% on the MM which was 6300 miles and did a UOA. The oil was down to 2.0 TBN and loaded with metals so it was completely used up. I wouldn't go longer than 5000 miles for the first change regardless of what the MM says. I replaced with Honda Genuine Full Synthetic and OE Filter. Honda also sells a 0W-20 blend which is quite a bit cheaper but I would stick with syn for this engine. The VCM has a rep for being hard on oil, although mine has been fine so far with 99% city driving.

Honda DW synthetic only and do not use a flush machine. A Honda flush is 4 drain fills which you can DIY with ease. I do them every 50,000 miles. You will notice the difference and you will get extended life out of the transmissions.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I wouldn't go longer than 5000 miles for the first change regardless of what the MM says.

+1 I would go 3-4000 tops. The initial wear is done by 3000 miles easy.

My wife drives a '11 EX-L RES - we love it so far. After getting ours last July, we've had two friends go out and buy new ones also. Great van so far.

She has about 10K miles on hers now (including two long road trips) with no problems.

I changed the factory fill after the MM said the oil was down to 15% - I don't have my records in front of me, but I think it was at 6,700ish miles. I went with M1 0w20 and a M1 filter. It was a nice surprise that the filter is the same one I use on my 4.0L Nissan Pathfinder (M1-110).

The Ody is a VERY easy oil change to do too, those Honda engineers make it pretty straight forward and quick.

Last edited:
Hi and thanks for the info. Funny thing is that I use Amsoil Fully Synthetic oil in my 2007 Ford Mustang GT but really never gave any thought to use it in my 2012 Odyssey

Hi,
Why be more concerned with the A/T than the motor oil. Does Honda have problems with their A/T's like my 2000 had? I hope not cause that is why I got rid of it after 12 years and 175K on it

Last edited:
I am thinking about using Amsoil ASMQT SAE 0W-20 Fully Synthetic Oil in my 2012 Odyssey and their Oil Filter EA15K13. Any thoughts on these choices?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: robbyo
I am thinking about using Amsoil ASMQT SAE 0W-20 Fully Synthetic Oil in my 2012 Odyssey and their Oil Filter EA15K13. Any thoughts on these choices?

Thanks

We have an Ody as well - nearing 100K miles. I have run a variety of Amsoil motor oils, all with good results, some I have doubled and nearly tripled the OLM. I have come to the conclusion that this engine is pretty hard on motor oil based on many UOA's I've seen. I also have seen some cover off photos running other oils and the engines were not so clean inside.

Since you are still under warranty I would stick with Amsoil XL or Amsoil OE and just follow the OLM. For the first couple years.

Originally Posted By: robbyo

Thanks

Why not use Mobil 1 0w20....its more reasonable pricewise....and easily available. The Mobil 1 EP filter would be a good match as well.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Honda transmissions are not lemons like they used to be. Using the DW-1 fluid should be fine.

How do you know? This is a serious question. When did Honda started making robust transmissions? Which model year?

- Vikas

Hi,
When I bought my 2000 Honda Odyssey EX I waited for about 5000k miles and switched to Mobil 1 and ever since that time I used about a quart every 5000 miles. So I am leary of doing the same with my 2012. Now my 2007 Mustang GT I switched to Amsoil 5W20 Fully Synthetic and don't use any oil. Though I have no idea that it was the oil or the engine I am reluctant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back