Castrol Power 10w50 vs 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if the oil experts here can tell me the real difference between the 10w50 which costs $12/qt and the 20w50 which I can get at AAP for $9-10?

CastrolPower RS Racing 4T
10w50 Jaso MA-2
API- SL
Vis 100C = 17.14
Vis 212F SUS = 86.5
Vis 40C =110.0
Vis index= 166
HtHS vis = 3.7
Low temp pump 60,000@-30
Low temp crank vis 7000@-25
pour point (0)

Castrol Power RS Vtwin 4T 20w50
20w50 Jaso MA-2
API SJ
Vis 100C=17.5
HTHS vis 150c =3.7
Low temp pump 60,000@-20
Low temp crank vis 9500@-15

Originally Posted By: Tay
is the data posted correct? a 50wt oil HTHS is only 3.7?

That is what the Castrol web PDS says.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Im betting the 10w50 will also be less shear stable in shared sump systems.

That is what I thought but my dealer says just the opposite.
21.gif

My Advance Auto carries only the 10W-40 and the 20W-50. The bike shops do carry a 5W-40 and a 10W-50 but they're much more expensive.

I don't believe there will be much difference in the two products performance wise and I'd therefore buy the lesser priced product.

HT/HS requirement for the JASO MA (to include MA1 and MA2) is only 2.9 cP. It's quite possible that these oils don't carry a abundance of shear resistant additive in order to reduce the frictional characteristics required of the MA2 spec.

I do intened to try the Castrol Power RS 4T this summer but my next oil change is going to be with Kawasaki's PAO/Ester synthetic. My bike shop has this stuff for $9,95 a bottle which is nearly $3 less than retail. I'm going to get it while I can.

Kawasaki syn appears to be USA made Motul 300V PAO/Ester. Same bottle, florescent green color and similar description. A great deal at $10/quart.

I just put a quart of this with two of 300V in my 1982 V45 Sabre. Still green after 250 miles.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
My Advance Auto carries only the 10W-40 and the 20W-50. The bike shops do carry a 5W-40 and a 10W-50 but they're much more expensive.

I don't believe there will be much difference in the two products performance wise and I'd therefore buy the lesser priced product.

Exactly on the price availability thing. Same here. But my dealer service manager says the 10w50 will go the full 6000 miles interval and stay in grade. Who know? I'll find out soon. As for the Kaw oil...at 9.95 I would buy a couple of fills if it is any good.

Ledslinger, the new Kawasaki full-synthetic, P/N K61021-207A is made by Citgo. This is well documented on the MSDS for this product. In fact, the bottles are even stamped with the fill date and refinery where it's bottled which is Citgo's Corpus Christi facility.

I posted in another thread about the content of this oil and with 60-75% PAO and another 5-10% ester and 2000 PPM of zinc, this should be a strong performer.

The guys at the shop gave me a discount and charged me $8.95 per quart. I'll know in a few weeks after I do my first oil change whether the transmission has any decent feel or not with this stuff.

My bottle was an older one, if it was still Motul 300V it would be an even better deal. Not fluorescent green anymore?

I haven't poured any out yet so I don't know what color it's going to be. It'd be neat if it were green. I'll open a bottle tonight and take a glance.

Motul sells a product listed exactly like the Kawasaki oil with the Ester/PAO on the label. This is what I thought the Kawasaki oil was going to be. I think the Motul product is E-Tech 100 10W-40. It's much more expensive than the Kawasaki product and likely uses more ester basestock than Kawasaki. I think Kawasaki uses the ester to counteract the seal shrinkage caused by the PAO. Who knows...

Originally Posted By: dparm
Anti-wear additives will be different (API SJ vs SL).

What will the difference be? Will those additives have any negative effects on a wet clutch?

For what its worth the 10w50 flavor is factory fill on the new Triumphs. In my 2011 Speedmaster it was noisy as heck in hot weather with it. I did not use it again after the first service. Happier with the Valvoline 4t syn I am now running. The noise level went way down with the switch.

For what its worth the 10w50 flavor is factory fill on the new Triumphs. In my 2011 Speedmaster it was noisy as heck in hot weather with it. I did not use it again after the first service. Happier with the Valvoline 4t syn I am now running. The noise level went way down with the switch.

Yeah but my Tbird is liquid cooled so constant operating temps. Your engine is air cooled. I would try the 20w50.

That is what I am running. Bike likes it better, I just let it warm up a bit more.

I think I will go to the 20w50 after I use my 10w50 I have. I just wondered what the difference is between the SL & SJ thing?

Originally Posted By: Doog
I just wondered what the difference is between the SL & SJ thing?

The API service classes have two general classifications: S for
"service" (originating from spark ignition) (typical passenger cars
and light trucks using gasoline engines), and C for "commercial"
(originating from compression ignition) (typical diesel equipment).
Engine oil which has been tested and meets the API standards may
display the API Service Symbol (also known as the "Donut") with the
service designation on containers sold to oil users.

The API oil classification structure has eliminated specific support
for wet-clutch motorcycle applications in their descriptors, and API
SJ and newer oils are referred to be specific to automobile and light
truck use. Accordingly, motorcycle oils are subject to their own
unique standards.

The latest API service standard designation is SN for gasoline
automobile and light-truck engines. The SN standard refers to a group
of laboratory and engine tests, including the latest series for
control of high-temperature deposits. Current API service categories
include SN,SM, SL and SJ for gasoline engines. All previous service
designations are obsolete, although motorcycle oils commonly still use
the SF/SG standard.

But when you consider the above in light of Triumph setting the oil change interval at 10,000 miles (!) it would seem to say they have some faith in the TBN of Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 10W-50 as well as it's ability to resist shear. Yes, 10K is ridiculous long for a shared sump motorcycle OCI but does it say something about Triumph using this particular oil towards that OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back