Chev 4.8l V-8 Chevron 5w-30 4000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last UOA with this engine came back with possible Coolant leak.

There was a chance that the Mobil 7500 I ran a few oil changes was looking like coolant. So I changed the oil again after a few hundred miles and put on a new filter and 6 quarts of Chevron 5w-30. No LC, no FP on this run. Just oil and filter.

Ran 4000 miles with this. About 70% highway and 30% real short trips (less than 2 miles one way).

Blackstone is the lab for this one. My last UOA with this truck is here: Last UOA Pennzoil with possible coolant leak

Here is the report.

-

Whew, Mike was correct
worshippy.gif
and no problems here.

Any comments? Thanks in advance!
bowdown.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill,

Glad to see that there's no coolant leak.

The Iron value is questionable and you should have Blackstone re-run the sample. 1 ppm of Fe in a V8 after 4000 miles is unrealistic. 6-10 ppm would be more in-line.

Good to see that SM/GF-4 Chevron 5w30 retains its flashpoint well, and together with the Ecore filter, is keeping insolubles low. Bearing wear is excellent despire the shearing (8.5-9.0 cst), but since wear is good, I wouldn't be concerned.

Otherwise, it's a great report and you can now rest easy at night.
grin.gif

Hmmm... wasn't one of the arguments supporting the notion that Havoline was superior to Chevron Supreme that Havoline contained more moly? I guess the only logical explanation for this report is that some empty Chevron Supreme bottles inadvertently wound their way through the Havoline fill area.
wink.gif

Simply a great report! You've gotta feel great after seeing these stellar numbers !!! Although I am surprised to see you using a Chevron product in your crankcase.
wink.gif

cheers.gif

PS: Way to go Michael on nailing the analysis dead-on!!

[ May 27, 2006, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Nice report. You must be feeling good about the lack of coolant.
smile.gif

You don't know! (after my "fun time" with my Ford and 2 sets of Headgaskets in less than 60k miles)
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Bill, get some full synthetic in that thing if you want to get any kind of real longevity out of that outfit.

I know, it's terrible how a under $6 oil change incl oil filter performs.
lol.gif

I've had one valve cover off and it's perfect under there. Nothing, no tint or anything.
cheers.gif

quote:

Simply a great report! You've gotta feel great after seeing these stellar numbers !!! Although I am surprised to see you using a Chevron product in your crankcase.

I'd have to say that the Chevron did do better than any other oil I've used. (Mobil 1, Pennzoil and Quaker State UOAs I've done with this engine)

Luckly, I've got a few more quarts of Chevron in the stash...
tongue.gif

Take care all and thanks for the replies!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back