Any reason not to by a John Deere X320?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought some property in Washington that is 1.31 acres, all of which is grass except for the footprint of the house. This is not manicured lawn, but native grasses on a fairly smooth, level lot. Cut height will be ~3 inches. It seems the X320 would be a good choice for a long lasting mower. I don't need anything more out of it than mowing, spraying, and fertilizing. If I need to use ground engaging implements I can use my 1941 B.

Thoughts?

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/prod...x320/x320.page?

picture-uh=b61d9a0eac13a428cd07a2d3b7b27d2-ps=521edc93962b3ca73c783fbece2963f-170-Macawa-Trl-Sequim-WA-98382.jpg

It's a definite step up from the L1xx or D1xx series that would cost a lot less and probably do that much acreage, I think it's a good fit if you're willing to spend the extra cash. In the long run I doubt it will cost much more (as it will last longer).

Last edited:
That's an awesome machine AND home!!

You'll always have JD's resale value if that's important to you.

Great TuffTorq K58 trans-axle, which I believe is equipped with a changeable filter on this model.

Great cutting decks that are easy to remove and replace.

Kawasaki engine.

JD's usually are very comfy behind the controls too.

Transaxles and quality cutting decks are the two most important things IMO.

Joel

Last edited:
One of the guys at work bought an X360, has hydraulic lift and power steering. He loves it, has a snow blower and the wide deck.
X series are well built and should do great for what you are asking.

Originally Posted By: edhackett
I don't need anything more out of it than mowing, spraying, and fertilizing.

If that's all you plan to use it for it is probably more machine than you need. While it's an outstanding mower (and I prefer JD equipment) you'll never really use it to it's fullest potential.

As flat as your property is, consider a zero turn with a hitch. I have a JD 757 and use it to do everything you'll use your X320 for, but it's far faster and cost far less. For about the same amount of money as the X320 you can get a 200 or 400 series zero turn. It'll have a larger deck, it's much easier to service, and much, much faster that the standard lawn and garden tractors.

And mowing with a zero turn is a whole lot more fun than it is the old fashioned way.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

As flat as your property is, consider a zero turn...

And mowing with a zero turn is a whole lot more fun than it is the old fashioned way.

Good points. Sounds like you're already set on this, but it's something to consider.

You've got a farm tractor for tractor work and your ~1.3 acres looks ideal for a ZTR.

You'll get your grass cut fast with less fuel consumed.

Joel

Zero turn tractor is the way to go... JD or even Toro make nice ZT mowers and both are available with Kawasaki engines which I am very impressed with.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input so far guys. I really don't have much of a clue as to what mowing 1+ acres involves. All I have here in Reno is a little patch of lawn that takes less than 5 minutes with a push mower.

I'd like to stay with the tractor format, as I want the versatility. I may find more uses for it than I can think of right now. The B is too big for almost anything on that size lot. I also want to have it as a "little brother" to the B. It's kind of funny that the X300 has the same horsepower as the B running on kersosene, and the X320 has more than it does on gasoline. Seems horses have gotten smaller over the years.
smile.gif

There is also $500 off and 12 month 0% financing on the X series until the end of the month.

A couple of people have mentioned that the 320 might be more than needed. What about the 300? 18.5 hp vs 22 hp, K46 vs K58 transaxle , thinner, less sturdy 42" deck vs 48". What do you think? It's certainly more affordable.

http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/prod...torwith42.page?

Here's a shot of a B exactly like mine, an early styled, deluxe(electric start and lights). Mine is currently in pieces all over the garage/car port. Block and head on the pallet over there. Finished sheet metal wrapped up and on the shelves up there. This one is properly done, and mine will end up looking exactly like it, except my lights will be black.

JohnDeereB.jpg

I bought it ten years ago and has been a back burner project since then. It turns out to have started life at JD as a BN, the model with the single front wheel. Sometime in its past it was converted to the much more versatile twin front wheel "row crop" version. I debated on converting it back, but those parts are very, very rare, and expensive. The twin front is the iconic farm tractor and when shown a picture of each model, 100% liked the current configuration better. I'll continue it's history as I got it.

For those who liked the house, here's a link to the original listing with more pictures. This was a real gem that fell into my lap. The owner died and I ended up paying about half of the original 1998 price for the land an house. Of course I'm going to get boned as bad when I sell my place here in Reno.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3047540518-170-Macawa-Trl-Sequim-WA-98382

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett

A couple of people have mentioned that the 320 might be more than needed. What about the 300? 18.5 hp vs 22 hp, K46 vs K58 transaxle , thinner, less sturdy 42" deck vs 48". What do you think? It's certainly more affordable.

Ed, I think you'll find the 48" deck to be a nicer mower. With a smaller 42", it barely (if at all) extends past the tires on the tractor, so you don't get a nice over-lap.

Nor can you edge up close to anything. Not easily anyway.

Like I say, when it comes to lawn/garden tractors, it's all about the transaxle, deck, quality of steering components and all other hardware. I love Kawasaki engines and have had great service from them, but IMO, the engine manufacturer is the last of my worries on a nicely built machine. I'll maintain it to last no matter who builds it.

Joel

go with the 320, and don't look back. Much better to have just a little more than you need--- the L series I consider almost disposable--the TT trans in the L series IS going to go out on it, question is when.

The K58 does not have an external filter, unless it is something new this year

320 all the way

Originally Posted By: steve20

The K58 does not have an external filter, unless it is something new this year

320 all the way

K58's do have an externally accessible filter option, but you're right that it's not on the X320. There will be internal filters in all of them, but you have to crack the case to get at them.

In the past, you had to go up to the X360 to get the serviceable K58.

That's a deal breaker for me. If I'm paying top dollar for a machine, it has to have a transaxle I can easily drain/fill at a minimum.

Joel

Joel, thanks for the info on deck widths. That's something that I would not have thought of.

I ordered the X320 today with a 48" deck.

It is too bad about the serviceability of the K58 in this application. It still looked like the best option. I'm set up to do suck and fill service. I have a small Thomas vacuum pump and an aspirator system that I built to do brakes, PSF, and differentials without drain plugs.

Ed

Yep, especially on a conventional tractor style machine, having a deck that extends past the tires makes for a nicer mow and easier trimming.

You might be able to suck and fill your K58, but typically you have to remove the transaxle and flip it over to drain out the top vent/fill port. Flip it back over, refill and reinstall.

Joel

That's a very nice B. I love old tractors. I had an International Cub it was alot of fun to tinker with but too small to be useful replaced it with a 600 Ford. Would love to get an old deere like that one day. Just wouldn't fit in with all my Fords in the driveway lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back