Use for speed handles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it boils down to preference. I prefer not to use one as I have plenty air ratchets and impacts.

Maybe this is dating myself but back in the '70's and early '80's, Vasek Polak had his Porsche dealer in SoCal. It was, and still is, common practice to use a speed handle to R/R the oil strainer plate on any of the air-cooled cars but I remember seeing a guy using a 3/8 butterfly air tool during the installation of the 6mm nuts. Vasek was always in the shop and scolded the tech for this and instructed him to use a speed handle. This tech did it again and Vasek saw it and fired him on the spot!
If on a hoist, I still will use a speed handle for this.

I rarely use a speed handle, but for the few jobs I use it on, I really like it. For example during engine assembly I always like to keep a manual feel on any bolts that are compressing a gasket rather than use an air or electric tool. So I pull out the speed handle for the repetitive task of running down valve cover bolts or oil pan bolts.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I rarely use a speed handle, but for the few jobs I use it on, I really like it. For example during engine assembly I always like to keep a manual feel on any bolts that are compressing a gasket rather than use an air or electric tool. So I pull out the speed handle for the repetitive task of running down valve cover bolts or oil pan bolts.

Well I use the electric and visually stop so that I can do the last few turns myself. Especially on something like a gasket where I want to do a fancy crisscross tightening to ensure it is even.

I don't even own a speed handle anymore. For long bolts, I use wimpy electric screwdriver or, for lug nuts, a cordless drill on a low clutch setting. I find it easier to align the power tool's axis with the fastener axis, which helps prevent galling when soft metals are involved. I'm too wobbly with speed handles.

Times may have changed, but the use of power drivers on aircraft hardware was forbidden, speed handle was your friend.

Speed handles work great as screwdrivers because you can apply a lot of torque while applying pressure to the screw. Aircraft use a lot of screws.

The also work great when your batteries are dead (or non-existent) and by the time I drag a hose out and wait for the air compressor to pressurize I can usually have the fasteners out.

Back in the day when I worked on jet engines I used one(3/8) all the time. Practical when you have many small bolts to tighten or loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back