FL-300 / FL-1A questions vs Purolators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting some bad momentary start up clatter in my Jeep with the Purolators I've been using. I experienced a dramatic improvement when I switched to 5w30 for the cold months but I'm still getting some at start up, I've tried Classics and PureOnes.

After reading on here, I get the impression the Puro made Motorcrafts may be better on start up due to a Ford spec requirement than Purolators other offerings. Am I misunderstanding that? Do the Motorcrafts I mentioned have a better designed ADBV, with the silicone? Both of those will fit my Jeep, I'd like to make this clatter go away. My other vehicles have had no issues like this on Purolators and I'll continue to use them there, but looking for a better mouse trap for the Jeep.

My other Jeeps did not do this, but if you know Jeeps you know they all have their own personality!

Thanks!

My Jeep XJ's had occassional probs with Purolators. specially my 89 as the oil filter was upside down - so it liked to leak down. my 92 had a sideways filter. nice. usually used Wix.

The Motorcraft FL1A has a nitrile ADBV. I suspect the FL300 does, too. Motorcraft filters with silicone ADBVs tend to have an "S" suffix in the part number.

Personally, I've used the FL1A for a lot of years in various applications. Silicone is nice to have, but the nitrile on the FL1A is certainly not a reason for me to abandon the filter.

If you want a silicone ADBV (and keep the thread end bypass), try a Wix 51515.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The Motorcraft FL1A has a nitrile ADBV. I suspect the FL300 does, too. Motorcraft filters with silicone ADBVs tend to have an "S" suffix in the part number.

Personally, I've used the FL1A for a lot of years in various applications. Silicone is nice to have, but the nitrile on the FL1A is certainly not a reason for me to abandon the filter.

If you want a silicone ADBV (and keep the thread end bypass), try a Wix 51515.

Well I don't want nitrile for it, too bad I was hoping the applicable Motorcrafts would be the silicone ones so highly regarded here.

I believe I'll get a Wix tomorrow then, which come to think of it was what I usually used in my last Jeep (light bulb coming on here). Thanks!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Well I don't want nitrile for it, too bad I was hoping the applicable Motorcrafts would be the silicone ones so highly regarded here.

Silicone is certainly preferred, but like I said, nitrile isn't a deal breaker for me. Oddly enough, though, I get the Wix 51515 for a couple bucks cheaper than the Motorcraft FL1A, anyhow.

I've only had start up noise on my 4.0 with PureOnes, not Classics, which is odd considering the superior design of the PureOne. I do like the bypass valve location of the Motorcrafts, but it seems the FL-300 is hard to find in my area. Walmart only stocks the FL1A, and Advance Auto/Autozone are the same way. I did find that the Mopar MO-090 which is sold at walmart has a thread end bypass, and is very similar to the motorcrafts. The price is a bit higher though. If you want the silicone ADBV, I'd go for the Wix. You can even sometimes find deals online for Wix. My buddy bought a 12 pack off eBay of Wix 51085 filters for his Cherokee.

I use FL 1A on my 2000 GC 4.0L with no complaint, and it very cheap at walmart. btw I see you guy using PYB, these 4.0L need some extra ZDDP in the oil. Diesiel oil have plenty of those ZDDP. Rotella T5 10w30 or T6 5w40 is perfect choice.

Thanks guys. I've had mixed results with Puro's on this Jeep. None of my other vehicles seem to mind them a bit.

I took off the Puro Classic I had on there this morning, it had about 2k on it when start up clatter came out of nowhere. It had been fine before that. I put a PureOne I had on hand back on, hopefully the superior ADBV on the PureOne will finish out the OCI okay.

I've not had any problem with nitrile filters before, but this Jeep seems to be picky I guess. Next filters I buy for it I'll try the Wix again.

I stopped by Advance and ran into the exact issue mentioned, the Motorcraft FL-1A's were nitrile and they didn't even have FL-300's. I give the Mopar a hard look next time I'm in WMart...the Jeep had a Mopar on it when I bought it, no issues but then again it was April and the weather was already nice.

Thanks all, Tim

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I use FL 1A on my 2000 GC 4.0L with no complaint, and it very cheap at walmart. btw I see you guy using PYB, these 4.0L need some extra ZDDP in the oil. Diesiel oil have plenty of those ZDDP. Rotella T5 10w30 or T6 5w40 is perfect choice.

The valve springs on a stock 4.0L are relatively weak. Regular SN PCMO will be fine. My jeep actually runs quieter on PYB than it does on Rotella due to all the moly in the PYB.

If you have a stroked 4.0 with an aggressive cam and high valve spring tension, then you will want an oil with higher ZDDP.

On the Jeep Strokers forum, there is a debate on whether or not a 40 weight shows lower wear than a good 30 weight. The iron numbers are fairly close.

I've also had PureOne start up noise on my Nissan Altima. The Classic is very good so far as were ProSelect from NAPA. I am running the P1 on my wifes Lexus with good success.

Okay I'm getting frustrated.

I was fine with the Puro Classic, even in some really cold temps, for about 2,300 miles. All of a sudden the start up clatter started, it was cold but not as cold as it had been. I figured maybe the ADBV on the Classic had failed, so I switched it out for a PureOne I had on hand.

First day with PureOne, it sat for 18 hours and started without a peep. "That's it" says I. This morning, warmer still, pushing 50 degrees actually, clatter is back. Only a few seconds worth but I don't consider it normal behaviour for this Jeep, especially since it started without it in much colder temps previously.

So I'm going to go Wix/Napa Gold or maybe Mopar next, but I'm starting to wonder if it may be the PYB instead. Did I reach a point in the OCI where the PYB add pack simply isn't adhering to the top of the engine like it was before? It still runs super smooth and quiet on it, just as before, once it's going.

????

With as many filters that you've tried, I'm thinking it's more than the filter causing your start up rattle.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
With as many filters that you've tried, I'm thinking it's more than the filter causing your start up rattle.

I am starting to wonder that too...but since filters are often the culprit of this problem I'm going to play with those some more before I move on. As warm as it's gotten I'm having a harder time blaming the filter though.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Okay I'm getting frustrated.

I was fine with the Puro Classic, even in some really cold temps, for about 2,300 miles. All of a sudden the start up clatter started, it was cold but not as cold as it had been. I figured maybe the ADBV on the Classic had failed, so I switched it out for a PureOne I had on hand.

First day with PureOne, it sat for 18 hours and started without a peep. "That's it" says I. This morning, warmer still, pushing 50 degrees actually, clatter is back. Only a few seconds worth but I don't consider it normal behaviour for this Jeep, especially since it started without it in much colder temps previously.

So I'm going to go Wix/Napa Gold or maybe Mopar next, but I'm starting to wonder if it may be the PYB instead. Did I reach a point in the OCI where the PYB add pack simply isn't adhering to the top of the engine like it was before? It still runs super smooth and quiet on it, just as before, once it's going.

????

How many miles on the oil? I doubt its the oil though, I'd try a Wix.

About 2500 on the oil now, I would not think that'd be it either. Going to leave the current fill in and continue to tinker with filters but it's going to warm up so results may not be conclusive.

O'Reilly here has Wix reasonable, I'm hearing rumors of (maybe) an impending Napa Gold sale the 27th so I may hold out for that.

To me, if it was the oil it would have been making noise no matter what. Cold start noise is almost always a filter issue, unless you have a lifter problem. That would be pretty noticeable though and would last longer than a few seconds.

hmmm, I have had a few noisy start ups on my 4.0 with a P1
Its so fast though that by the time i hear the noise and my brain figures out what is going on the noise stops (1 to 2 seconds)
Its been a while since its happened though. I was looking a the FL-1A today and walmart only want 3.xx for it so I might try it next fill for my summer filter. It will be hard to say if its the fix for my problem because ill be changing oil types and viscosity next fill.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
To me, if it was the oil it would have been making noise no matter what. Cold start noise is almost always a filter issue, unless you have a lifter problem. That would be pretty noticeable though and would last longer than a few seconds.

My thinking too...

Originally Posted By: MrRPM
hmmm, I have had a few noisy start ups on my 4.0 with a P1
Its so fast though that by the time i hear the noise and my brain figures out what is going on the noise stops (1 to 2 seconds)
Its been a while since its happened though. I was looking a the FL-1A today and walmart only want 3.xx for it so I might try it next fill for my summer filter. It will be hard to say if its the fix for my problem because ill be changing oil types and viscosity next fill.

Yep, that's exactly it! Except I've had it on both Puro's, time to try something else. It hasn't been every cold start though, which is puzzling, but further suggests to me the issue is not mechanical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back