2012 Tacoma 1GR-FE recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
All, I am going to do an early change of the FF in the next few days around 1800 miles on a 2012 Tacoma with the 4.0. I am going to stick with 5W-30 SN as this is the recommended oil. Another poster on here did a UOA of the FF and it looked like nothing special (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2404530). After obsessively reading this forum I want to use an oil with comparable amounts of moly and would prefer a syn. I am thinking Mobil 1 or PU would be a good choice although I know they are both overkill since I will be running this oil only to 5k. My other thought was PYB, but I really want to use a syn. Thoughts? Within the parameters of comparable moly am I missing any contenders? I am not going to use RL.

I have one with 60,000 miles on it. I dump my Ff at 1000 and run Mobil5000 dino for 4000 miles then go with QUD synthetic 5w30. Runs fine. You will notice injector clicking and lots of engine noise on cold starts. Normal. This engine is fuel sensitive and will ping under load when cold so don't push it hard until warmed up. I change the oil every 5000 and use any on sale oil filter. I just bought 10 Denso filters at Rock Auto for $3 each. They are fine.

Last edited:
For the change interval, what does Toyota say? You're under warranty so I would follow their schedule.

Originally Posted By: dparm
For the change interval, what does Toyota say? You're under warranty so I would follow their schedule.

Make sure you keep a notebook of maintenance with dates/mileage and receipts. Toyota will ask for it if you have any warranty issues.

I might Forget the syn and its high detergency for a 5k OCI. Its not really "synthetic" and neither is QSGB or PYB "conventional" they are both in the middle. I'm breaking in an engine too, and have broken in many cars the past 10 years with soem issues running off the shelf ILSAC oil. STD ilsac oil isnt optimal for wear in and has been a big problem with early FF changeouts. I would run something SL rated and NOT ILSAC EC, something with enhanced moly and zddp or if thats too much trouble substitute in 1-2 qt racing dino like Brad Penn and then balance qsgb or formula shell or possibly the new QS DEFY.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I might Forget the syn and its high detergency for a 5k OCI. Its not really "synthetic" and neither is QSGB or PYB "conventional" they are both in the middle. I'm breaking in an engine too, and have broken in many cars the past 10 years with soem issues running off the shelf ILSAC oil. STD ilsac oil isnt optimal for wear in and has been a big problem with early FF changeouts. I would run something SL rated and NOT ILSAC EC, something with enhanced moly and zddp or if thats too much trouble substitute in 1-2 qt racing dino like Brad Penn and then balance qsgb or formula shell or possibly the new QS DEFY.

Interesting points, but if you look at the uoa on the Toyota FF it is nothing special--looks like a decent quality SN conventional (which Toyota claims it is). At this point, the oil has been in the sump for about 5 months (trucks build date was October), even though I only have 1800 miles. I will run a non boutique syn in it and change the oil every 5k or 6 mos per Toyota's recs. I buy the factory filter right before I change (what I have done in the past with my previous Tacomas)and staple the receipt for the oil to the receipt for the filter and keep this as a record. Toyota offers free changes for 2 years but the dealers can use whatever 5w30 conventional they can buy the cheapest, and I would rather change it myself to make sure it is done right and a good quality oil is used. I may just stick with Mobil 1, although I am tempted by the moly count in PYB as these 1GR's are noisy/clicky engines and may benefit from the moly.

Last edited:
When I got my first 4 Runner with the V6, I dropped FF at about 1200 then put in GTX until 5k iirc Syntec after that. I would go with PP every 5k if I did the V6 thing again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back