Supertech Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think of supertech oil im in the Tn area I know they have different makes through out the us. Anyone have any valve cover pics or does it just sludge?

I had a Ford truck that I beat on hard in mud pits holding to the limiter for 5 mins straight and never had an engine issue. I would use it without worry.

I refuse to use it anymore being it is priced too close to good name brand oils. It is not a bad oil though. I used to run it in my diesel because it was a ton cheaper.

Not to mention you are supporting wal mart even more when using their in store brands. If you must shop at wal mart, pick brands that are not tailored to them exclusivly. Sorry for the rant.

SuperTech is a fine oil, no matter which blend you are getting (depending on where in the country you live). It is SN rated and a good product. My dad uses SuperTech conventional oil and ST filters almost exclusively and all of his engines are in tip-top shape. As another board member just posted, the ST price is very close to the price of the big name brands. But if you wanna save a few bucks and still get a good oil, use ST with confidence.

Its wal-mart oil blended to the lowest possible cost point. If not for API SN, they would blend it cheaper. API keeps quality up, if you trust it as oil.

I figure there are so many good options besides it...

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I wouldn`t use it in your Eclipse. Stick with M1.

Why not?

I`d want the best oil in that Diamond Star high performance engine,and M1 HM imo is the best bang for the buck oil.

I'm in Memphis and the super tech bottles are identical to the exxon oil bottles. So that seems to be the supplier in my area. It's what I'm using now. Will change out at 6k and run a UOA. My only complaint is that it burns faster than any other oil I've used and this is the second time I have observed this so I probably won't use it again unless I get a very good UOA.

If it is burning faster than there may well be a better choice. Volatility relates to quality.

Originally Posted By: DC44
My only complaint is that it burns faster than any other oil I've used

Please elaborate. I'm assuming you mean your engine literally burns or otherwise 'uses' the oil. Around here however, the locals define 'burning' as how quickly the oil turns dark, which really doesn't define volatility.

WPP seems to be the goto blender for store brand and off-brand oils.
The oils seem to be of consistently good quality, perform well in UOAs and have decent virgin add packs.
I would not bother with Supertech or any other store brand oil unless it were really dirt cheap.
I have some WPP made Meijer brand HM 10W-30 that I'll use for a couple of runs in the older Subie and then UOA.
I suspect the oil is well formulated, as WPP products seem to be.
The oil was ~$17.00 for a twelve quart case on closeout, since Meijer was going to six quart cases at the time, and both case sizes had the same bar codes.
I had to buy it at the price, and it will be intersting to see how the oil compares after use to the PP I just drained from the car and sampled for a UOA.
The car has GTX HM in it right now, which I won't bother to UOA, since I only have enough of it for a one off run.
I doubt that you'd have any problems with ST oil in your car, but there are better oils at better deals available.
How about either QSUD or G-Oil FAR?
You can also get an FAR MIR on NextGen from AAP.
Check the relevant forum for these deals.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Its wal-mart oil blended to the lowest possible cost point. If not for API SN, they would blend it cheaper. API keeps quality up, if you trust it as oil.

I figure there are so many good options besides it...

Wal-Mart doesn't make or blend oil, just sells it.

smirk.gif

My F-I-L swears by it, and uses the Synthetic for 10k intervals. He is not a bitoger or a member of any online anything that I know of. Barely knows how to use the computer! He changes his filters out every 5k.

My plan is to slowly widdle him away into buying QSUD at only 50 cents more...

Supertech is a fine oil, only thing preventing me from using it is the fact that for less than 2 dollars more I can get Mobil Super 5000. The value of supertech is not that good. Now would i use a WPP product if i can get a decent deal on it..YES, sometimes pepboys has it and a purolator filter for about the cost of a jug of Mobil Super 5000. I missed out on the 5Q supertech-mobil type jugs, they switched to WPP here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back