Lubegard Red in both cars & my impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
I have a question maybe you know the answer.
With synthetic Dex IV i noticed using a scan tool a temp drop of over 20f consistently when using this product, why is this?

I know quite a few rebuilders and one (family owned high volume shop in business since 1952) in particular has literally cases of this product stacked up, they don't let a unit go out the door without it.

I'm not sure how it works, but LGR does say right on the bottle that it lowers operating temperatures in the tranny.

I usually use it with Maxlife ATF and will add it within the next week to two vehicles. I changed out the ATF fluid two months ago but was out of LGR...

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have a question maybe you know the answer.
With synthetic Dex IV i noticed using a scan tool a temp drop of over 20f consistently when using this product, why is this?

I know quite a few rebuilders and one (family owned high volume shop in business since 1952) in particular has literally cases of this product stacked up, they don't let a unit go out the door without it.

Less slip = less friction = less heat

Just my assumption.
smile.gif

Just changed the fluid & filter in my 1994 Astro van and added 10ozs. of Lubegard red & yes, it make a huge difference in the smoothness of shifting. It has my approval but it could be a combination of new filter, fluid and Lubegard, I'm happy.

I just drained & put in Lubegard RED with 5 qts Amsoil ATF.

Shifts fantastic!

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
^in the Splat-urn?

HA! You remember?

Nope, in Creampuff.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Shifts fantastic!

The Amsoil ATF might just be the best ATF one can buy. I doubt the Lubegard was needed or even helped.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Shifts fantastic!

The Amsoil ATF might just be the best ATF one can buy. I doubt the Lubegard was needed or even helped.

I have to disagree. I used Redline D4 in my 07 Accord when changing out the old Z-1. It did fine; I consider it the equivalent of Amsoil ATF.

When I switched at the next drain/fill (4x) to Maxlife and LG, it was smoother for sure.

If you try it you may well like it.

LG goes in every time I service one of my automatic transmissions. Trav has mentioned it keeps transmissions running cooler, he confirmed it by taking actual temperature readings. It resolved a delay going into Reverse for me. Well worth the money.

If this stuff is so dern great then why aren't the ATF mfgr's putting it in there fluids? I understand there could be licensing issues with some of the products, but maybe Maxlife, Dex/Merc, stuff that isn't licensed anymore?

Originally Posted By: JT1
If this stuff is so dern great then why aren't the ATF mfgr's putting it in there fluids? I understand there could be licensing issues with some of the products, but maybe Maxlife, Dex/Merc, stuff that isn't licensed anymore?

Seriously, dude?!?!? I don't know where to begin.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
LG goes in every time I service one of my automatic transmissions. Trav has mentioned it keeps transmissions running cooler, he confirmed it by taking actual temperature readings. It resolved a delay going into Reverse for me. Well worth the money.

Correct, there's many testimonials on LG Red.

The Saturn Transmissions are not the most sturdy, and somewhat flakey at best. For the several dollars it costs (I'm not strapped for cash) to leverage my bets to get this vehicle to 300,000 without opening up the engine or transmission, i'll do it.

Originally Posted By: JT1

Because the stuff has proprietary chemistry that LG will not sell cheaply? Or perhaps the mfgr has a vested interest in WEARING OUT your transmission?

Planned obsolescence is nothing new.

There are too many mfgr TSB bulletins out there specifically recommending LG to discount it. It really works.

Originally Posted By: 94astro
Just changed the fluid & filter in my 1994 Astro van and added 10ozs. of Lubegard red & yes, it make a huge difference in the smoothness of shifting. It has my approval but it could be a combination of new filter, fluid and Lubegard, I'm happy.
Originally Posted By: Donald

Shifts fantastic!

Shifts fantastic!

So, we don't really know if it's the better ATF such as Amsoil or even RedLine ATF for that matter...Or the LubeGard RED, causing these tranny to shift so well?

Did anyone actually try to use the Amsoil ATF alone first(Oh IDK, a week or so) and only then add some LubeGard RED to see if there is any better shifting?

I know that LubeGard has HFM's and other ATF additives(Black Bottle and Platinim Bottle) to be used with other specific ATF's, and the RED is only a conditioner for normal ATF's such as older Dexron ATF's but, does anyone think that the LG RED is needed with something along the lines of Amsoil?

Just asking?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back