one last try ( piston soak)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been thinking the longest soak I've done has been a day . Would it be worth trying it for a week? I dont expect miracles but maybe a long soak would help matters? I got time since I have the truck. (Which I'm appreciating more each day) what should I use b12? Kreen? Something else? Any recommendations is great . Tips or anything throw it at me. If this don't help I will probably save for a re ring job. Since its in good shape doing that is cheaper than a car payment and ill know what I have then. Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you run Kreen in the oil for 3K a couple of times?
If not do it, its going to take time to find its way up there if its even possible.
Piston soak is great for carbon but its not going to stay in the ring lands very long so the working will be minimal.

Put Kreen in the oil and the fuel, as directed on the can, its incredible stuff.

fill the crank case to the max line with regular oil and then add the kreen on top, no need to worry about the extra amount....call the guys at Kreen and ask any questions, they are very accommodating and knowledgeable.

Here's an idea...

1. Fill up the cylinders with Kreen.

2. Soak.

3. Pour more Kreen in each cylinder if it leaked down.

5. Stick a chemically resistant Ultrasonic agitator (like a Sonic toothbrush) down the 4 holes and use the High-frequency Ultrasonics to clean it up.

Kinda kidding, kinda serious.....

I would use oil, and nothing but oil. If you're having massive consumption issues, then I'd recommend fixing the problem.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Put Kreen in the oil and the fuel, as directed on the can, its incredible stuff.

It may be, but it didnt fix my cold start lifter tick on my 91 BMW.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I would use oil, and nothing but oil. If you're having massive consumption issues, then I'd recommend fixing the problem.

Based on chevyboy14's previous postings, fixing the car is not really on the table... this is a last effort before replacing it or figuring out how to live with the issue.

Originally Posted By: jim302

Based on chevyboy14's previous postings, fixing the car is not really on the table... this is a last effort before replacing it or figuring out how to live with the issue.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
If this don't help I will probably save for a re ring job. Since its in good shape doing that is cheaper than a car payment and ill know what I have then.

Originally Posted By: jim302

He's getting the cat replaced for free which will extinguish the CEL long enough to sell it.

Would a re-ring call for newly designed heads? Is that also recommended for new ring packs on these coking prone Saturns, a new head design offered? OR are the ring packs the primary issue, would the replacement be 'updated' to 'fix' the issue?

Re, soaking:

Trav has a point, a piston soak will help combustion chamber/de-carboning, but hard to get at the rings between the piston heads/cylinder walls to uncoke instantly, but it 'could' help IF followed by something as follows. I'd try running Kreen in the oil a few times, perhaps a piston soak or two(if any leak down over time during a 'weekend soak', and allow for more top-up as tpitcher mentioned), then following traditional soak procedures to safely evacuate excess fluid b4 re-seating the plugs, etc.

Running Kreen in the oil would be interesting, at least, to see if consumption slows. I'm also personally curious to see what T5 would do in this engine after jumping to 15w-40 increased consumption from 1 quart every 1,400 to 1q/600 miles.

Last edited:
Quote:
It may be, but it didnt fix my cold start lifter tick on my 91 BMW.

Yes i had one in a Ford that didn't quieten down, it had excessive leak down, nothing short of changing it would fix it.
But its worth a shot before ripping into it IMO.

O guys Come on it may help eh eh? Stay positive. Can't hurt anything. I ended buying some b12 some crc and I have mmo. I can't find anything else around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back