Whatever happened to Schaeffer's oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I first came to this website there was a lot of talk about Schaeffer's Motor Oil. Now I can't remember the last time I heard anything about Schaeffer's. I believe, if I can remember correctly, that Bob himself was a dealer for Schaeffer's.

I tried a few Schaeffer's products. I tried their motor oil (it had a lot of Moly) and my car ran really good with it. I tried their #132 Moly EP oil supplement. And I tried Neutra to clean varnish and gunk out of the engine. They had other products too that I had wanted to try but did not, such as chain lube.

Anybody here use Schaeffer's products?

Yes. Check their website, there is a dealer locator. Can be tough to get cost effectively.

I remember when I first came to this website there was a lot of talk about Schaeffer's products. I remember Bob talking about using Neutra to clean the insides of engines. And Schaeffer's made this oil supplement called #132 Moly EP.

I might give Schaeffer's #132 Moly EP a new test. And I am thinking about getting some Neutra.

Essentially a double post so I merged.

I run 132 mixed with LC. 132 does not have a lot of moly, but does give a little plus Sb, I figure it is a good anti corrosive blend.

I like neutra, multi-use stuff which is nice. Thing is, it really has a strong odor, so think twice about carrying it with you as a fuel add.

Yes, it does have a strong odor. Bob recommended it as a fuel additive and used in small amounts in dirty engines. I am surprised so few people here have heard of it or use it.

At least in the past there were supposed to be a lot of race car drivers who used Schaeffer's Motor Oil.

I bought a few cases of the 15w40 a few years back from a Sales Rep who was clearing out his stash to make room for the CJ-4. Its a good oil if you can find it but then again there are some really good oils out there today that are close to performing like the boutique oils minus the cost. They make some really good products just have to ask yourself if they fit in your maintenance plan. I am glad that I had a chance to try some their products.
smile.gif

B

I'd run their 9000 5w-40 in all our vehicles if I could easily get it at reasonable cost without having to buy hundreds worth.

With the talk about the old bobistheoilguy.com website it brought back some memories for me. When I started to think again about Bob it made me think about Schaeffer's. I still remember all of the discussions about Schaeffer's, Auto-RX of course, and Chevron and Havoline.

I will say one think and it is not scientific, but my car ran really, really good on Schaeffer's oil.

If there was a nearby dealer and I could get the oil cheap enough I would run Schaeffer's.

One of the Napa's around where I used to work sold both Amsoil and Schaeffer's stuff. I bought quite a bit of stuff off of him.
All of it was quite pricy.

He mainly stocked Nutrea and #132 up by his check out. I've used both. They seem to do a good job.
I still have a bottle of #132 in my stash.

I have not used any Nutrea in my oil sump, but I would bet it would do some cleaning. It really did have a distinctive smell.

I still use Schaeffer's in a small fleet of emergency vehicles. I have nothing but praise for any of the products I've used. The price is very reasonable by the 5 gal pail and shipping is free since I buy 1500-2000 dollars worth at a time.

I have police cars that have 200,000-270,000 mi equivalent on them and inside the valve covers are so pristine it's hard to believe. This is using 15-20 k mi equivalent drains.

Neutra is so handy for so many things I could tell numerous stories about that product alone and wouldn't be without it.

I remember when Schaeffers was a site sponsor along with others like specialty formulations and ect. The good old days. Oh well time to move forward.

Schaeffers has an on-line store as well. Yes you have to pay shipping, but for me it works out to just over 100 bucks for 12 quarts of 5w-40 delivered. So $8 or so a quart

Last edited:
Actually I have used the Neutra as a cleaner in the oil. Put a bottle in when I first purchased a used car as a cleaner, ran it maybe 100 miles and changed the oil. Worked fine. Per the instructions on the bottle it can be placed in the oil and in the gas, hmm, sounds like MMO but definitely does not look like it.

I use Schaeffer motor oil, gear oil, grease, chain lube, and penetrating oil. As long as I can get them from a local supplier, I'll continue. As an example, the Volvo turbo car has just over 200,000 miles, still runs quick and the turbocharger spools up quickly, and the engine is clean as seen down the oil fill hole. The cams in sight there still have the factory machining marks on them. The chain lube on my motorcycle chain is working very well.

Yes, I was very impressed with Schaeffer's products. I wanted to try the chain lube on my garage door opener chain. I didn't get any but I managed to find Lubriplate chain lube in an out of the way place. The Lubriplate stuff worked really good.

I think that Schaeffer's is a nearly unknown high quality producer of lubrication products.

I can remember here when Neutra was talked about nearly as much as Auto-RX. Neutra has a very strong smell but I can handle it better than the typical strong solvent smell.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
I think that Schaeffer's is a nearly unknown high quality producer of lubrication products.

Nearly unknown to the general public perhaps, but they are well known in heavy industry. Their target market isn't someone looking for 4 quarts of oil...it is someone looking for bulk products from a knowledgeable salesman.

I am fortunate to have a retailer close by that stocks a lot of their product. In addition to the already mentioned products, the best hand cleaner I have ever used is their biodegradable Citrol cleaner/degreaser. It's amazing how fast and effective it is cleaning dirty/greasy hands after you've serviced your vehicle!

I had never heard of Schaeffer's until I viewed this website. What earned my respect was the way they have promoted their products without really bashing competitors. I remember when Schaeffer's either ordered Bob to shut this site down or not affiliate himself with it, as they did not want him promoting their company this way. Yes, time changes everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back