starting fluid doesn't work, is spark the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.93 camry 4cyl. won't start. been sitting for a few weeks but ran up until then.
I haven't been able to check for spark, because I'm by myself.
timing belt is ok (rotor turns when cranking)
recent tuneup, new distributor and throttle position sensor.
no fuses blown.
I CANNOT hear the fuel pump come on, but I have no history with this car, so I don't know if it normally can be heard)
it will NOT start with starting fluid.
any ideas?

Where are you spraying the starting fluid?

And did you check for spark?

You could do it a quick way by pulling a spark plug and putting it close to metal to see if you can see the electricity jump. Not sure i recommend that, but it is do-able.

I electrocuted someone that way once.
smile.gif
.. but only enough to verify "yeah it got fire" (fire referring to spark.)
smile.gif

I tried spraying the starting fluid in the intake tube, and right into the throttle body.
couldn't check for spark w/o having anyone to crank it over while I'm looking for spark.

In my experience with starting fluid (small gas engines), if it doesn't try to start: A. the plug is fouled, B. problems with the ignition system. Just my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
In my experience with starting fluid (small gas engines), if it doesn't try to start: A. the plug is fouled, B. problems with the ignition system. Just my 2 cents.

agree. plugs and wires are new. posts on the toyota forums lead to the ICM (ignition control module)

New distributor? Most aftermarket new ones are Chinese.I bet the pick up module is no good.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA

Same applies with larger engines, it should at least try to run for couple seconds...

If you're clever you can peer through the slit at the bottom of the windscreen where the hood/ cowl hole is open, and see the engine. Then you can see your spark tester. Even an inline timing light will work and will have lots of wire to position it right.

Originally Posted By: Quest
Why don't you just pull off some spark plugs and inspect?

Q/.

plugs look good, no fouling, no gas smell. I intend to pull a wire to check for spark, but I didn't have anyone around to turn the key while I do that.
plan today is to get the battery charged and check for spark.
thanks for the responses!

Just because the rotor or cam turns does not mean the timing is OK.
The belt could be chewed up or has slipped and jumped time.
But yes, generally, if starting fluid does not make her pop, then it's the ignition.

no fouling, no gas smell on your plugs?

Sounds like you aren't getting any fuel into your combustion chamber!?

and then you need to check to see if there's any spark?

Q,

no SOME engines with electronic ignition a short at a wire might damage the electronic box. just something i read.

ok, update:
I have spark! but it still won't do anything, even w/ starting fluid. so I'm thinking the timing is off.
I asked my friend if the timing belt was changed while he had it, he said not while he's had it, about 3 years. it might not of ever been changed.
I'm suspecting a jumped belt. I'll inspect it tomorrow.
oh, and he's a AAA member, so he's going to have it towed to my Dad's place where I have a garage to work on it.

^Good friend. Get that thing checked out. Maybe the main relay went??? Verify timing first, hope no damage was done. I mean, how far out of timing to not start?
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Good friend. Get that thing checked out. Maybe the main relay went??? Verify timing first, hope no damage was done. I mean, how far out of timing to not start?
crazy.gif

I need to run a jumper to the fuel pump to verify it's working (can't hear it, but I don't know if you CAN hear it on this car)and inspect the belt today.
from what I've read, this is not an interference engine, so we should be OK.

so the car is up at my Dad's. he calls me and says it's running! whaaa?
now, it's not running well, and he has to keep giving it gas, but it will start.
I'm imagining that the timing belt has slipped enough to get it close enough to run (just my imagining a solution while its not in front of me).
I was going to inspect the timing belt today, but now the car is 65 miles away; it'll have to wait until the weekend.

This happened with a family vehicle last year: The wires leading to the harness at the Chankshaft Position Sensor were damaged, sensor was good but ECU freaked with wiring issue(I think the harness holding strap/thing broke and the wires wound up rubbing against the exhaust.

Splicing in new wire fixed the problem. Pouring gas down the TB would start the car, but it didn't want to run or idle on it's own.

For this car, the fuel pump had been replaced prematurely in lieu of these symptoms. Probably could have avoided that, but I wasn't involved on the project/decision making on that one.

Vehicle was a 1999 2.4L Dodge Stratus. DOHC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back