Which Battery Is Better Auto-Zone Or Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
AAP silver series,
made by johnson controls, better acid to plate ratio, big savings using online coupon then pickup in store

Have several golds in the family, no problems. One is 6 years old. Cranking power is far more than others IMO. Starters really go on cold days.

Originally Posted By: Rand
AAP silver series,
made by johnson controls, better acid to plate ratio, big savings using online coupon then pickup in store

Where did you get the acid to plate ratio?

The one that's best has the best pro-rated warranty, best CCA, and maybe the best reserve time.

Don't get too hung up on brand names.

Johnson Controls makes batteries for both AAP and AZ. The Duralast Gold is said to be built to tougher standards and specs than the AAP batteries. The specs are also said to be set by Autozone, not Johnson Controls.

I have Duralast Gold batteries in my truck and gf's car. Both batteries have held up great here in the Florida heat and humidity. This coming summer will be our third year and third summer with the Duralast Golds. The AAP Silver series battery I had in my truck previously barely lasted two years before it conked out.

Duralast Gold is the best battery you can buy for a reasonable price. Just my opinion on it.

I recently bought a Duralast Gold and so far so good. When I researched batteries, it seemed that the Autozone Duralast Gold provided the best value among the longer term pro-rated batteries.

Johnson Controls also makes the Wal-Mart Everstart batt's. But I've not have good luck with them. They have a 3 year free replacement, but for me I've been getting only 2 years out of them. But Wal-Mart just keeps giving me new ones every time I bring the bad one in for the last 8 years.

Tamato-Tomato...I pick the one where the closest store is. For my oldest daughter at college (250 miles away) there is an Autozone 3 miles from her apartment. She has 2 years left so I got the Gold 3 year warranty battery. That base is covered. Here locally where I am lurking...I'll go with the top rating and best price combination. All 4 vehicles have jumper cables in the trunk so everyone can get a jump to get home.

One other thing for AZ..no paperwork needed for warranty...just have any AZ store type your phone number in the computer...BAM there are your records of purchase.

Last edited:
I think Wal-Mart has batteries that have 1,2 or 3 yr warranty depending on model(or size ie 65). The warranty appears to be full replacement but no pro rating after the 1,2 or 3 years.

Bought a battery at AAP-they installed it-dead. Swapped it out, died in six months. Went to Firestone, paid more, got a good battery. Took AAP back, at least they gave me full store credit, bought more oil. Happy ending but no more batteries from AAP.

Get one made by Johnson Controls wherever you get it. But do not assume (aside from Interstate) that just because brand xyz was made by Johnson Controls last week that it will be this week. Check the label and the corners on the vents caps (if possible).

The MAXX battery I got for my Jeep at Walmart made by Exide failed, and went back to a very close Walmart (to the first store) and now 3 years latter it was made by Johnson Controls.

Given that they had to jump it in the parking lot to get it into the service bay, they did not even test it. It was free.

Last edited:
I have an AutoZone Duralast Gold battery in my Cavalier and an Advance AutoCraft Gold in my Truck. Both work well, so whichever is cheaper in my opinion.

I guess the main thing to me is to practice proper battery maintenance, which most people don't know how to do outside of just adding distilled water.

I would ask yourself who would give you the least flack for replacement. NAPA has been rather rude to me, for example. Walmart's TLE person plugs in the midtronics tester and if it says it fails, it fails, that's good enough for them. AA and Advance probably are about the same.

I've never used AutoZone's batteries, but the five Advance Auto batteries I've had my hands on have all worked great.

The AAP Autocraft Silver I installed in my Subaru lasted 5.5 years, which was a year longer than the factory battery lasted. It was perfectly trouble-free right up until it started giving me hints that it was dying. I replaced it with an Autocraft Gold that has been equally trouble-free for over a year.

The Autocraft Silver in my wife's Corolla has been perfect for about 4+ years with no signs that it's nearing the end of it's serviceable life.

The Autocraft Golds I recommended and helped install in my sister's minivan (2+ years) and my brother-in-law's SUV (about 1 year) have not given them any trouble, nor should they expect them to.

According to Consumers Reports November 2011 test of over 60 car batteries you shouldn't just buy just by brand. Performance varies by size and model as indicated by their rather comprehensive tests.

"Many DieHard and Everstart batteries are recommended, for example, but others from those brnds scored no better than midpack in our tecting. Moreover, Bosch, Duralast, Kirkland Signature, and NAPA models also performed well in certain categories."

DieHard models are top rated in four of the six groups Consumers tested. Group 65, 34/78 & 78 Group 75, and Group 48.
In Group 24, the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 was ranked first with Diehard Gold ranked second. Bosch was top rated in Group 35 with the Everstart Maxx 35N ranked second.

They noted that the much improved Diehard ratings resulted from improved specs and a switch of suppliers.

Three performance factors were cited as the most important in choosing a battery: battery life, reserve capacity nd cold cranking amps (CCA).

Also interesting to note is that the Diehard has the best warranty ( 36/100 ) and WalMart's Everstart the worst...just 36 month replacement with NO pro rated coverage.

CR also commented on the fact that all battery prices have risen after staying stable for many years.

Bottom line is...choose the correct size battery for your use, your driving habits and always get the freshest battery possibe by checking the shippng codes on the battery case.

Their overall recommendations:

For cold climates:

Diehard Gold 50678 $110
Kirkland Signature 12866 $75
Interstate Mega-tron Plus MTP-24 $120
Diehard Gold 50624 North $105
Duralast Gold 24-DLG $90
Kirkland Signature 12865 $60
Plus Start 50235 $70
Bosch Premium Power 75-730B $80
Everstart Maxx 75N $80

For Temperate Climates: