Oil Recommendation Please: CRD Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gday from Aus
smile.gif

I own a new NISSAN Patrol, with the 3.0L common rail diesel engine, intercooled turbo.The Patrol is a large 4WD wagon.

The factory service manuals says:

ZD engine (except for Europe):
API CE, CF or CF-4
JASO DH-1*1, *4

ZD engine (for Europe):
API CF-4, ACEA B3 or B3/E3, JASO DH-1*1, *4

NOTES:

*1: For further details, see “SAE viscosity number”.

*4: Never use API CG-4.

As I want to run a full synthetic engine oil, and the cost of the oil isnt a big factor, I'm after suggestions for the best oil to protect and care for my 4WD.

Thanks

Thanks, that URL for shell helix ultra 5w-40 doesnt list any certficiztions from JASO, ACEA or API.Anyone got access to proper specs?

So it has no jaso certs ( which I'd prefer) and with the American API stuff it only does cd which doesn't meet the oem spec. I'm not keen and I could've see the oem denying claims on not using speced oil.

Is it true that API cj4 means it also meets cf4 in which case there's other options

Go to the heavy dutiy diesel engine oil section, and you'll see many of my posts of struggling with Nissan's requirements on "nothing past" CF-4 on their requirements in the ZD30 in my Navara.

Nissan expressly stated when I rang them that the increased dispercency in the modern US lubes keeps the soot dispersed, and leads to top end wear, whereas stuff CF-4 and below allows it to agglomerate, and maybe be filtered out.

They state that you will lose warranty is you use better than CF-4, even if it meets the B requirements, and JASO.

Caltex makes Delo CXJ (mineral), 15W-40 which literally meets the specs, but is wrong wrong wrong in many ways. It's the only oil that I've run that meets the JASO spec.

Reading a new Patrol manual (one of my guys got one last Monday), it now lists viscosity as 5W-30. (Mine was shipped with 10W-30, and a recommendation for 15W-40, which has been dropped to 5W-40 recently I believe). Initial fill gave me the best mileage that I've ever had.

My next oil change was going to be Nulon Diesel Long Life 5W-30, and the new Patrol Manual sealed it.

Stuff that I've used includes aforementioned Delo CXJ, M1 0W-40, Edge 0W-40, Castrol Magnatec SP 5W-40, and currently Mobil 3000 5W-40 synthetic. Some UOAs are around on the Magnatec.

But like I said, I'm going Nulon next time, to try to get the 11km/l that I got on the Factory Fill. (Sitting on 10km/l on the Mobil with a squirt of motul estertech)

Check on the required cetane rating for your engine also

I have a 1VDfte (4.5 TTD Toyota) in my 200 series, and I am currently using Motul Turbolight 4100.

It's a 10w40, rated at API SL/CF. The first oil that was in the engine (for 5000km) was Delo 400 15w40.

I have now had the turbolight in for 7000km, and 2000km respectively, and I have had no dramas whatsoever.

Oil pressure is unaffected (maybe it comes on faster at startup - I might be wrong but who knows), and I think it's slightly better on fuel consumption, but we are talking 0.5L/100km stuff here.

The oil is moderately sooty after 7000km, but you can still see through the oil to the dipstick (if that makes sense, ie: it's not black paint on the stick, more like dark,dark honey).

Seeing our engines are alike (modern CRD), maybe Turbolight 4100 is an option for you. The only thing, is I dunno the compatibility with DPF's if your patrol has one.

I wonder what brand they come with in them from the dealer? Sounds like a pain in the butt. I like the idea of diesels in stuff now and would have picked up my car in diesel form if they had it. I think they might in differrent parts of the world but not here.

They come pre-filled from Japan, with a 10W-30 I think.

The Toyota one is pretty majorly "different" looking in oil analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back