Before I start crawling under it, please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have a schematic, or a link they can post for the EVAP Emissions system in an 08 Jeep Liberty. I have a code P0456, Evap Emissions System small leak, and its not the gas cap. A while back I lowered the spare tire to check the air, and shortly after the CEL came on. I checked the gas cap and an certain its good, cleared codes it stays off for 1,500-2,000 miles and comes on again. A buddy can smoke test it for me, but that's like pulling teeth, and if its an easy fix I'd rather DYI. A drawing of the system would be a plus. TIA

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
How did you check the gas cap? The only time I've run into that code, the cap was the fix.

I replaced it, after being certain it was properly installed clean, etc., and clearing codes. About 1,500 miles later same issue. So I decided to try replacing the gas cap, 1500 miles later CEL came on again, same problem with the new cap. It's not the cap, as mentioned I already went down that road. A schematic would give me an idea of where to start looking before crawling under and around it in the cold weather that's all.

If your Liberty is anything like my Dakota you might want to check the hoses at the charcoal canister. On a Dakota the canister is under the truck, driver's side just forward of the gas tank. There are two hoses on the canister that have these odd U-shaped bends on them and those hoses are notorious for cracking, deteriorating and wearing out prematurely. When that happens it always sets one of the small evap leak codes. This is a common problem, especially in places where they use salt and chemicals on the roads in winter.

check the purge valve, they are known to stick open sometimes. as well as the vent valve. this is when it is good to have a scan tool with bi directional controls to toggle both valves and check for an change in tank pressure.

I wonder if when you dropped the spare and re raised it, it may have moved one of the hoses in such a way it opened a small crack that was there but had not opened. I would drop the spare and examine any hoses that may have contact with the spare or the bracket / jacking mechanism. Hopefully a piece of tape will fix the problem temporarily...

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I wonder if when you dropped the spare and re raised it, it may have moved one of the hoses in such a way it opened a small crack that was there but had not opened. I would drop the spare and examine any hoses that may have contact with the spare or the bracket / jacking mechanism. Hopefully a piece of tape will fix the problem temporarily...

This is what I was thinking. I was hoping for a schematic, or someone who owns an 08 Liberty, or worked on them, to let me know if there is anything near the spare tire that could have been effected as a result of removing and replacing it. I was hoping to gather the info before I dropped it again and crawled under it in the cold. As I get older I find myself a little lazier, and look for easier ways out, like asking questions first. LOL

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I hear you! Sorry I don't have the info you need... Good luck!

No problem. I know where to start looking that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back