Lubegard Red in both cars & my impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently put Lubegard Red in each of our cars; a full bottle in each. I've put about 350 miles on my Focus since adding, and I can definitely tell a difference. Even when cold, the transmission is smoother, shifts are less noticeable, etc. The Fusion has had about 1,500 miles put on it since I added the LGR, 95% of which have been highway miles coming back from Florida. But the difference is noticeable, removing most of the "erratic" shifts common to the 6F35 transmission.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this product, and it is the first additive I've ever used that has actually made a noticeable positive change in function of the part(s) it was intended to. It'll go in every tranny I service from here on out!

FWIW, the Fusion has the factory original tranny fluid + LGR. The Focus has the original fluid, with the exception of 3 quarts of Maxlife ATF + LGR.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
what size bottle and where did you get it?

10 oz bottle, bought from NAPA. Even if they don't normally stock it, they can usually order it for you and have it there that day or the next. IIRC, there is also another store/chain that carries LGR.

Ok. Was looking at THIS not sure if its a good deal.

That's a very good deal. The local NAPA here in MI charged $9.99/10 oz bottle, whereas the NAPA in FL I visited charged $11.99/10 oz bottle. Either way, your deal looks to be better, assuming that the shipping costs are reasonable.

Ok. Was looking at THIS not sure if its a good deal.

I bought the 32oz bottle from the same seller 2 years ago, the price was the same but shipping was less than $5 then.

It is the lowest per oz cost you can buy.

I ended up adding 2 bottles of LGR to the tranny in my old Ranger with the A4LD, a unit known for hard shifts, delayed reverse engagements, etc. Truck had about 75k original miles at the time.

I had already changed the ATF to Mobil1 about 15k earlier.

The first bottle made a noticeable difference in smoothness, the reverse-bang went away, etc.

In another thread Trav mentioned using two bottles, so I decided to add a second one. Difference was almost immediate (vs. 50 miles for the first bottle) and shifts smoother still. LG says a second bottle is fine, that you can't OD the stuff.

Based on those results I added LG Platinum to my '07 Accord with Maxlife that was already in there. It too smoothed out shifts very nicely.

LG, whatever flavor, goes in my AT's going forward, period. It's the real deal.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Is this stuff making shifts smoother just by increased slipping?

No. The shifts are quick, precise, and firm, just not harsh. Not that all shifts on our cars were harsh before, but everything is more fluid and smooth now. Know what I mean?

Quote:
In another thread Trav mentioned using two bottles, so I decided to add a second one. Difference was almost immediate (vs. 50 miles for the first bottle) and shifts smoother still. LG says a second bottle is fine, that you can't OD the stuff.

You can overfill the tranny if not careful.

If you top your tranny with the specified ATF and then add 20 oz of LGR, that's almost a quart over capacity.

For transmissions that use the newer low viscosity fluids, I don't think aftermarket fluids are needed. The newer low vis fluids have improved anti-oxidants and better friction modifiers and better viscosity index numbers.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

You can overfill the tranny if not careful.

If you top your tranny with the specified ATF and then add 20 oz of LGR, that's almost a quart over capacity.

For transmissions that use the newer low viscosity fluids, I don't think aftermarket fluids are needed. The newer low vis fluids have improved anti-oxidants and better friction modifiers and better viscosity index numbers.

I didn't overfill it. Just drained a bit to compensate each time. I had installed a drain plug on the pan for easier draining. Probably should have clarified that part.

I don't know about the better low-viscosity fluid's characteristics, only that in two-for-two the LG made noticeable differences.

That is a great price from a very good seller... I just purchased from them 4 weeks ago but have not used it yet. Great product that does work.

I have a question maybe you know the answer.
With synthetic Dex IV i noticed using a scan tool a temp drop of over 20f consistently when using this product, why is this?

I know quite a few rebuilders and one (family owned high volume shop in business since 1952) in particular has literally cases of this product stacked up, they don't let a unit go out the door without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back