Microgard versus STP-- Cut Open (Ford 4.6/5.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

As promised, I have cut open one each of the O'Reilly Microgard and one of the Autozone STP filters. I have also opened the MC FL-820s from my last OC (7,480 miles); which you can see the details here Motorcraft FL-820s.

I did not pull the media apart and measure it and my post is merely to show the visual differences between the filters and hopefully to give people some information from which to make an informed decision regarding the use of them. I did try to place a tape measure in the photos to show a reference point when I could.

I also did not post any of the cans, but I am able to say the Motorcraft had the thickest metal, followed by STP, and then the Microgard. A Summit Racing Filter Cutter was used to cut all filters and it took less than 45 seconds for each of them. Very nice cutter for the price!

I am posting some group pictures, followed by the Microgard, and finally the STP. Apologies for the images that are sideways (not sure why ImageShack does this).

Enjoy!

Group Image 1:
img1282qe.jpg

Group Image 2:
img1304fl.jpg

Group Image 3:
img1305do.jpg

Microgard Filter Element:
mg1l.jpg

Microgard Filter (End):
mg2c.jpg

Microgard ADBV (Nitrile?) Base Plate Side:
mg3w.jpg

Microgard ADBV (Nitrile?) Filter Side:
mg4x.jpg

Microgard Baseplate (Gasket Side):
mg5v.jpg

Microgard Baseplate (Filter Side):
mg6g.jpg

Microgard Bypass Plate (Filter Side):
mg7d.jpg

Microgard Bypass Plate (Can Side)—Note the “valve”:
mg8qs.jpg

Microgard Filter Measurement (Side):
mg9k.jpg

Microgard Filter Measurement (Top):
mg10g.jpg

Microgard Can Measurement (Side):
mg11.jpg

STP Filter Element:
stp1m.jpg

STP Filter (End):
stp2.jpg

STP ADBV (Nitrile?) Base Plate Side:
stp3m.jpg

STP ADBV (Nitrile?) Filter Side:
stp4l.jpg

STP Baseplate (Gasket Side):
stp5.jpg

STP Baseplate (Filter Side):
stp6.jpg

STP Bypass Plate (Filter Side):
stp7.jpg

STP Bypass Plate (Can Side)—Note the “valve”:
stp8.jpg

STP Filter Measurement (Side):
stp9.jpg

STP Filter Measurement (Top):
stp10.jpg

STP Can Measurement (Side):
stp11.jpg

I'd take the microgard between these two, but only for short intervals. Approaching 5,000 or more is risque. No thanks.
smile.gif

The Motorcraft is the best by far.

Between the STP (ecore) and the Microguard (FRAM), I guess I prefer the Microguard. I just feel there is less to go wrong with that design.

I'd take the used Motorcraft over a new STP or Microguard.

Thanks for the pictures--I would send em off to E-Bay as you previously suggested

2010FX4: Thanks for sacrificing a couple of filters for the general good. I had never been tempted to try either of these brands but your pics will forever prevent my reaching to that part of the shelf. Just highlights what true value is in the MC FL820s filters. If only they would add a premium media, life would be perfect.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
The STP's dome-end plate only holds the filter element in place. The actual bypass "valve" is built into the ADBV.

Known as the "Combination ADBV/Bypass Valve" ... which a lot of people don't like.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
The STP's dome-end plate only holds the filter element in place. The actual bypass "valve" is built into the ADBV.

Correct; I was copying and pasting and meant to edit that for the STP filter.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
2010FX4: Thanks for sacrificing a couple of filters for the general good. I had never been tempted to try either of these brands but your pics will forever prevent my reaching to that part of the shelf. Just highlights what true value is in the MC FL820s filters. If only they would add a premium media, life would be perfect.

Thanks Jim; trying to do my part to increase the knowledge pool here at BITOG.

I did not really post an opinion, but since there has been ample time for all to comment, I will say that I would not use these filters even for a short run, I feel the quality is really poor in both of them.

On my FX4, the Microgard would be into the lower radiator hose a little (it is longer than the MC) and would require me to use two hands to install it--1 to hold the filter and 1 to move the hose.

We also have to keep in mind both of these filters are $3.59 at AZ and OR in my neck of the woods (when not on sale or in a special) and MCs are only $3.99 at both. IMHO $0.40 is hardly worth me worrying about to quality of the filter and the FL-820s is proven--tried and true.

I plan to exchange or eBay them, they will not be installed on my truck.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

I plan to exchange or eBay them, they will not be installed on my truck.

Amen, brutha! If you hadn't had to buy them, and of course you wish to recoup the expense, they would make good targets.

Oh, by the way, stretch out on the couch there and explain to us what motivated an apparently rational BITOGer, and otherwise sensible man to buy a krapload of inferior filters? Hmmm, to vee haf some hidden issues here? ( : < )

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Oh, by the way, stretch out on the couch there and explain to us what motivated an apparently rational BITOGer, and otherwise sensible man to buy a krapload of inferior filters?

Jim, did you miss that special?? They were combined with the recent Mobil Super oil specials at O'Reilly and Autozone--buy 5 quarts of Super and a filter for $9.99. With OR, I also will receive $20 worth of store credit (via rebates cards).

I hope to exchange them and will soon start at different stores...stay tuned.

I have 2 STP filter from Autozone deal, in comparison to my Honda OEM and Pure one filter, the STP is significantly shorter... I'm thinking shorter = less medium assuming density is about the same. Wonder if it's okay to use them in my odyssey, it's kind of a waste to throw it away, by the way i always stick to OLM, any thought guys?

Originally Posted By: lemonade
I have 2 STP filter from Autozone deal, in comparison to my Honda OEM and Pure one filter, the STP is significantly shorter... I'm thinking shorter = less medium assuming density is about the same. Wonder if it's okay to use them in my odyssey, it's kind of a waste to throw it away, by the way i always stick to OLM, any thought guys?

The e-core design is supposed to be more efficient, due to the parts they revamped or eliminated. Even though they are smaller, supposedly they will hold about the same amount of oil and have a comparable amount of media. I have no idea if that's actually true or not.

I certainly don't regard them as an extended use filter, no way I'd run an e-core for the many thousands of miles your OLM will allow you to rack up. JMO.

Yeah I missed it. Don't buy M1 anyway. A Rotella T5 special.... I'm on it bigtime. Thanks for clarifying so I no longer have to question your sanity ( : < ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back