K&N SS series Washable "Lifetime" oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a nice looking unit ... and has it's place in the market for guys who want a very good flowing filter for racing applications where the engine (with maybe a high volume oil pump) is near redline most of the time. For the average street car, it's really not needed for the better flow performance.

Too bad K&N didn't list the filtering performance ... but most of these stainless steel mess filters are in the 30~40 micron range. Not too shabby if you want to spend lots of money and have the hassle of cleaning it.

30-40 at what percentage? Really that might not be that bad.. all things considered. The Quaker State's I use are only 94% at 20.

Originally Posted By: Saleen0679
Looks like K&N just slapped their name on a Pure Power! filter. It has the Pure Power! logo just underneath.

http://gopurepower.com

on the back of package photo, it does say "Made in the USA by Pure Power!"

I'm thinking the 2 companies struck a marketing deal letting Pure Power have access to K&N's distribution network

my 2cents anyhow..
(the pure power website doesn't look to have been updated in a several years, other than the copyright@ the bottom of page. most recent "news" item was from 2007...)

Last edited:
After googling their T304 media, it's basically anywhere from 90%+ at 30 micron, 95% at 35, and probably 99.99% at 45.

Originally Posted By: JT1
Looks like alot of work to clean, could be worth it if you like to cut your filter open to see what your engine is doing.

Removing it and re-installing....easier than removing, cleaning, and re-installing!! And [censored] of a lot more cheaper.

But I must say, I build rifles, and anything machined well from billet is just plain SEXY!!! BUT I'll stick to Motorcraft $4 filters for now!

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
30-40 at what percentage? Really that might not be that bad.. all things considered. The Quaker State's I use are only 94% at 20.

SS mesh filters are not rated the same as a paper or synthetic filters. You really can't do a apples to apples comparison.

The SS mesh used in these types of filters originated in the medical industry. They are rated in a absolute micron size in a single pass vs a standard filters nominal(average) micron size rating which may be multiple passes depending on the test method used/stated.

IIRC PurePower uses 30 micron screens = 100% @ 30 microns. As the pores of the screen plug up the screen will capture smaller and smaller particles, same as a paper or synthetic filter would.

I work with 10-100 micron SS mesh filters a few times a year at work(medical machine shop).

These filters also typically flow no less the 20gpm for a smaller filter. The flow rate goes up the larger the filter. They also see a lower pressure drop across the media as a result of the easy flow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flstffxe
Originally Posted By: Virtuoso

SS mesh filters are not rated the same as a paper or synthetic filters. You really can't do a apples to apples comparison.

The SS mesh used in these types of filters originated in the medical industry. They are rated in a absolute micron size in a single pass vs a standard filters nominal(average) micron size rating which may be multiple passes depending on the test method used/stated.

IIRC PurePower uses 30 micron screens = 100% @ 30 microns. As the pores of the screen plug up the screen will capture smaller and smaller particles, same as a paper or synthetic filter would.

I work with 10-100 micron SS mesh filters a few times a year at work(medical machine shop).

These filters also typically flow no less the 20gpm for a smaller filter. The flow rate goes up the larger the filter. They also see a lower pressure drop across the media as a result of the easy flow.

Interesting info, thanks. What's the best way to clean filters like this?

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

Interesting info, thanks. What's the best way to clean filters like this?

See my previous post.
Originally Posted By: flstffxe

Cleaning was easiest with an ultrasonic cleaner with a 2 beaker cover, fill a beaker with Ozonic(similar to mineral spirits), drop the element in the beaker and set the timer on the ultrasonic cleaner for 15-20 minutes while you did other stuff.

Allowed you to see what was captured by looking in the bottom of the beaker or pouring the contents of the beaker through a coffee filter.

I would not want to clean one with out the ultrasonic cleaner.

very interesting. I wouldn't use one unless it equals or has better beta ratio then standard filters. I would also hate to have to clean the element.

Interesting about the medical SS mesh filters. didn't know they could get them to filter that well. Hopefully K&N used 10 or 20 micron.

Though it is a cool looking setup.

Last edited:
i clean mine (k&p engineering)spray it out with brake clean then wash with soap and water using brush then i let it sit in gas over night.removes all little particles.of course i have an extra to put in..my filters 35u@100%..be suprised its not messy at all!!it is worth it in comparison to using a paper filter and risk filter failure under high pressures and also letting into your engine 100-200u particles when filter get hot..it does the most imporatant thing in a filter it flows 57 gpm rated.very,very small restriction.my vehicles love this filter!!it is hard to get people to understand when most people are being fed a bunch of couple buck paper filters main stream junk from the paper filter companies....hard to break old habits

Last edited:
I've always heard the argument of flow vs. filtration. Some here have been for flow when it comes to oil filters but I don't know how many would pony up for the cost of something like this.

Viton is no joke. I made sure my pump sprayer came with Viton o-rings and seals or I wouldn't buy it.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
... it is worth it in comparison to using a paper filter and risk filter failure under high pressures and also letting into your engine 100-200u particles when filter get hot...

How does a media based filter let 100-200 micron particles through when it gets hot? Never heard this claim before ... you got some links to show why this supposedly happens?

BTW - If I was going to use a SS mesh filter I'd probably invest in a small sonic cleaner.

no links just tests done when a extremely hot filter expands and lets in big particles..the companies don't tell you that info.remember a human hair is 100u..most of all its the flow that always bothers me..makes common sense to me trying to put throug thick oil in a paper filter....this is all what i have experienced...no fancy paper from me.iam not an expert just as some people on here.thats why i come here to learn and reading articles..in conclusion, flow is by far more important...this k&p engineering filter is FAA aproved

Last edited:
no links just tests done when a extremely hot filter expands and lets in big particles..the companies don't tell you that info.remember a human hair is 100u..most of all its the flow that always bothers me..makes common sense to me trying to put throug thick oil in a paper filter....this is all what i have experienced...no fancy paper from me.iam not an expert just as some people on here.thats why i come here to learn and reading articles..in conclusion, flow is by far more important...this k&p engineering filter is FAA aproved k&n ss filter is not faa approved..i spoke to k&n today k&n contracted pure power makes their ss filter which only been out a couple of days...they said almost had k&p engineering do this filter small company.. which are superb!!...k&n said their filter flows 20gpm.. if you want a faster flow go with the k&p engineering. k&n filters the same as purepower.....sorry for the repeat post

Last edited:
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back